Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
I'd guess no sooner than spring next year. I think we'll get at least one more round of G4 laptops and probably 2 or more before they get G5s in laptops. Any time I feel myself start to get optimistic I pinch myself and say "nine fans."

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by Simon Liquid
Any time I feel myself start to get optimistic I pinch myself and say "nine fans."

LOL

Hey Jef, does the faint writing under the G5 in your avatar say, "Manufactured by IBM"? Did you call it all those years ago? :D

Due to heat, release timing, etc. I have to put my money on first quarter 2004. Reasoning: Current 15" and 17" will be updated with new G4's soon. 6 Month minimum on next release would put it first quarter 2004. Now the big question is can they make it cool enough for the Powerbook. I am thinking this won't be too much of a problem as my TiBook scalds my lap. :p

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I'm so hesitant to buy the next revision of the PB since I just know the next model will be a G5... I have this horrible feeling that Apple is lying to us about how soon the G5 PBs are coming out so they won't lose revenue on the next revision of the G4 PB... blah... companies suck.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well im not sure when they will get the G5 in a PB, but regardless, they need to update the 15" PB before they really start to piss people off.

i have a feeling they will toss the 1.42 G4 into an updated 15PB, then later drop the 980 into a new PB in the future...but hey, its Apple, there is no way of telling

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
The g3 powermac and powerbook were introduced at the same time... The powermac g4 was introduced in september 1999, with the g4 powerbook coming in january 2001... so who knows. If they were to introduce a g5 powerbook in the next 6months they'd hurt the desktop sales.. it'd be too much, too fast. Plus, I don't think it can be done that fast...

They'll try to get another run of the g4 powerbook before (august) g5 shipments. That'll last 6~months (february) and then they'll *announce* g5 powerbooks, with actual shipments coming 2~months later (may). I believe itll take a year...

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
I would say that it certainly does seem that the g5 is not going to happen in portables for at least 1 more product release. I think it is smart though to wait at least until the g5 powermac actually ships and people give reviews so that the stragglers will order them. Then apple will introduce the g5 powerbook (6 months later at least) and will be a completely different round of buyers...

I think we'll see new powebooks within 2-3 weeks, but they'll be g4...

something like 1ghz, 1.25ghz and 1.42ghz. I just hope they are available in all sizes (any speed in any size)

Even at 1.42 ghz g4, the powerbook will be a beast, but you'll have that "it's not a g5" in the back of your head ... :rolleyes:

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Porshuh944turbo
Even at 1.42 ghz g4, the powerbook will be a beast, but you'll have that "it's not a g5" in the back of your head ... :rolleyes:

Yeah, this is really a horrible situation. Apple finally gets on par with their desktops with PCs, and everyone admits it... so what does that leave their laptop line? It means that they are extremely lacking... and even if everyone jumps on the next G4 revision of the 15"... it will still seem lacking compared to the desktops and it won't be a G5 :( I'll cry if I buy the next 15" and the G5s roll out around X-mas. I think I'd hate Apple for life since the "we won't see G5s in PBs anytime soon" quote would be a direct money-grubbing lie.

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
we won't see a G5 for a while. end of story. if you need a laptop soon, i'd say just wait for the revised 15" which should be out relatively soon. But if you think that there's a G5 powerbook right around the corner, you're going to be sitting on your hands for a while. I can't imagine any scenario where one will be available for at least another 9 - 12 months.

jazzman45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2003
lawrence, ks
the powerbooks are awesome as they are right now, i'm so tempted to just go buy one rather than wait...of course that's stupid. but they were usable when they came out, and they still are today. i had an iBook running @ 500 mhz...that was not usable and sucked rhinoballs.

a 1.3 ghz G4 in a powerbook would blow my mind, especially with DDR now in the Al's.

does anyone really care about USB 2.0? i don't have any peripherals that are USB 2.0 compliant (full-speed or high-speed http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/18/2025210&mode=thread&tid=137 , fun read)

so who's buying in a couple weeks when they're released :D ? i know i am!

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by jbomber
I can't imagine any scenario where one will be available for at least another 9 - 12 months.

Which is what we've been saying. It sounded like you were disagreeing with us, but you are giving the same timeline we've already said.... did you read above?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by jazzman45
the powerbooks are awesome as they are right now, i'm so tempted to just go buy one rather than wait...of course that's stupid. but they were usable when they came out, and they still are today. i had an iBook running @ 500 mhz...that was not usable and sucked rhinoballs.

a 1.3 ghz G4 in a powerbook would blow my mind, especially with DDR now in the Al's.

does anyone really care about USB 2.0? i don't have any peripherals that are USB 2.0 compliant (full-speed or high-speed http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/18/2025210&mode=thread&tid=137 , fun read)

I personally care if it has "Hi-Speed USB"... since that's the way digital cameras are going towards... just my $0.02

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
still cameras or DV cameras? Iknow DV cameras will keep using firewire... still cameras? I can see a use for usb 2 on these, but I haven't seen any yet.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000

does anyone really care about USB 2.0?

it's nice to have options...the more, the better and the more practical macs look to potential switchers

i assume there are pentium III users with usb 1 who are thinking about changing out their machines about now...and the current G5 with its usb 2 and many other things actually looks like a viable option and real move up...as well as into our world

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa

I'm thinking about it, I need a computer to do the editing for our school's senior video and for college, so an updated laptop could serve both purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.