Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Some are saying that Apple didn't put the LED screen on the 17'' MPB model because the largest LED LCDs produces are 15''. Well, how is this possible then?

Perhaps they aren't for sale? Samsung makes their own panels.
Could also be a cost thing, but I doubt that.

I'm pretty sure that Apple would have put LED backlight into the 17" model if they had the chance to.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
anyone that says that the 17" MacBookPro with an LED won't happen (ever) is obviousy making bold assertions, but Apple isnt going to spend 2,500 dollars on wholesale cost for a screen. If they wanted we could have a TouchScreen MacBook Pro, i mean Microsoft has a table and Apple has the iPhone, it's called economics and the future.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
anyone that says that the 17" MacBookPro with an LED won't happen (ever) is obviousy making bold assertions, but Apple isnt going to spend 2,500 dollars on wholesale cost for a screen. If they wanted we could have a TouchScreen MacBook Pro, i mean Microsoft has a table and Apple has the iPhone, it's called economics and the future.

Agreed. I'm sure Apple given their iPod flash relatioship with Samsung, could get 17in LED screens right now...but at what cost? Recall the (I'll assume 15.4 MBP out sell 17in) 15.4 was the 1st Intel CPU MBP, and it didn't even retain FW800. The 17in MBP followed 4 months later, and who is to say a 17in MBP will not follow when Intel releases the 2.6Ghz Merom in Sept?

Samsung announces lots of products. Last year they claimed that by this year they would have an OLED 40in TV in production, where is it? Last year around Sept. Samsung 'annouced' a breakthroug 40nm NAND flash techonology based on Charge Trap transitor techonology that they had been developing for years. They claimed this would allow for 128GB flash drives by the end of 2007, and now that's been pushed to 2008, as they have only just recently 'annouced' 64GB 1.8in flash drives based on older 50nm process chips they announced last year.

Chi Meo Optical announced in January 2006, a 56in 4k resolution LCD...yet due to manufacturing difficulties and lack of powerful enough GPU's to support 4k res, that LCD is MIA. Sharp has annnouced a 4k x 2k LCD big screen TV also, but it's not shipping is it?

No, in the future, some type of screen tech, perhaps OLED will give us insanely great, accurate, vibrant 4k res. screens. It's not only *NOT* impossible, 4k res. LCD's have been produced (but required specialized 256MB Matrox GPU's for desktop computers) back in that ancient 20th century, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.