Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Uhh... I can pretty much remove references to Apple's Safari benchmarks and just give the following universal advice:

DO NOT RELY ON BENCHMARK NUMBERS!!!

See, wasn't that easy?

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
interesting, a bug is a bug, no excuse

wanna get rid of benchmark? send a email to apple first. since apple is the ONLY browser producer with their own engine (by ONLY, i mean among firefox/opera/ie/konqueror) who puts a big benchmark on their product's frontpage.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
wanna get rid of benchmark?

I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

send a email to apple first. since apple is the ONLY browser producer with their own engine (by ONLY, i mean among firefox/opera/ie/konqueror) who puts a big benchmark on their product's frontpage.

I'm actually quite comfortable with Apple's benchmark. I recall Opera used to claim they had the fastest browser too. I have Opera installed on my computer and Safari is clearly faster on everything. I think Opera is just envious that their market share is so small, even compared to Safari, and that's with Safari being Mac only!

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I'm actually quite comfortable with Apple's benchmark. I recall Opera used to claim they had the fastest browser too. I have Opera installed on my computer and Safari is clearly faster on everything. I think Opera is just envious that their market share is so small, even compared to Safari, and that's with Safari being Mac only!

I do not guess why opera watch disputed safari's benchmark, the article simply says apple's safari may have a bug in handling Javascript, which causes the time counting of page loading inaccurate. "Envy" or not, there is a technical question need to be answered.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I do not guess why opera watch disputed safari's benchmark, the article simply says apple's safari may have a bug in handling Javascript, which causes the time counting of page loading inaccurate. "Envy" or not, there is a technical question need to be answered.

Exactly... may have a bug in Javascript. And Javascript is just one of several benchmark figures given by Apple. I don't think an article posted by Opera fans about Safari's Javascript benchmarks is worth losing sleep over on a Mac forum.

I mean, people chose not to use Opera long before it's slowness compared to other browsers was so intense.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Exactly... may have a bug in Javascript. And Javascript is just one of several benchmark figures given by Apple. I don't think an article posted by Opera fans about Safari's Javascript benchmarks is worth losing sleep over on a Mac forum.

I mean, people chose not to use Opera long before it's slowness compared to other browsers was so intense.

no, its not a bug in testing speed of javascript.
it may be a bug in javascript handling of safari, so if safari is using javascript to count the page loading time(no matter its HTML, nested tables, layers, js, etc), the data will be all wrong.

also, to say opera is slow compare to other browsers is....not true. It is faster than firefox and IE in at least 50% situations.

the opera's market share only tells us that speed isn't deciding factor.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Honestly I am not surprised to find out that apple benchmarks are full of crap. This is not the first time apple lied on their benchmarks and not the first time they have been proven wrong on there benchmarks. This is not the first time apple went way over board the claims on how much faster some of their products are.
Apple as done it so man times that I learn to see apple is full of it when they claim something is fast. Hell now it is a laughing stock to see anything apple claims is fast because most of the time apple is full of it. It is one thing to be a little over the truth, it is another to be way overboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.