Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1
iso
macrumors newbie

Display is fading in and out

I have a new mac book pro 15" and for some reason the screen periodically dims and then goes back the original brightness. When writing this message it has already faded in and out twice. It is a tad annoying.

Has anyone seen this problem before and know how to fix it?
iso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

I suspect you're seeing this feature:

There are ambient light sensors which allow it to automatically adjust screen brightness. Sounds like that's what you are seeing. If you place both hands over right and left speaker grills, it should dim.

There's an option in the System Preferences -> Displays to enable or disable this feature.

For me, it tracks pretty close to what I would like, but sometimes I bump it up or down a bit. Even in auto, you can adjust it. It'll hold the setting until the next change in ambient lighting.

The other thing it might be is the "dim before sleep" option. See the System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options "Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep"

Last edited by gr8tfly; Jun 16, 2007 at 10:40 PM. Reason: or - energy saver?
gr8tfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 08:12 AM   #3
iso
macrumors newbie

ah, that seems like it is the reason. It is a nifty feature, but as you said, I will disable it until I need it. You wil have to excuse my questions, because as you can probabl tell this is my first mac.

Thanks
iso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:52 PM   #4
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

Glad that answered your question.

btw: if you haven't discovered it yet, the keyboard illuminating is also controlled by the ambient light sensors. Controls for it are in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard
gr8tfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:38 PM   #5
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

I used to love this when I first got my PB 15. It always worked perfectly.

Then the rot set in with the 10.3.8 update. It became over sensitive. Just typing would cause it to dim whenever I reached for the shift or tab key. Sometimes it would flicker indecisively between two settings.

Now I have it off, and set the brightness manually. I'd love to have auto dim back - is there any way I can make it less sensitive to momentary shifts in brightness?

I suspect before, it reacted in a dignified way to a rolling average of the ambient light from the last two seconds or so. With the upgrade, it seems it shifted to a very annoying and distracting instant response to any shadow.
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help