|Jun 17, 2007, 12:15 AM||#1|
Powerbook G4 Diagnosis
I am having some trouble with my Powerbook G4. I am pretty sure my hard drive is failing but want to get some other opinions before I start replacing stuff. Over the last couple days the HDD starting make strange noises (clicking a lot, along with other undescribale noises). I am wanting to hold off buying a MBP until after Leopard is out.
I am wondering a few things:
1. Is my diagnosis of bad HDD right?
2. How easy is it to replace the HDD with a new one (seems pretty easy reading instructions from ifixit.com)
3. Will any 2.5" ATA drive work?
4. I installed OS X on a firewire drive before the internal drive died but now it will not boot. Am I right in assuming once the new drive is in I can pop the Install disk in and install OS X?
5. Am I forgetting anything? Any tips?
Thanks much for the help!
|Jun 17, 2007, 01:58 AM||#2|
Seems pretty spot on, but use Apple Hardware Test just to double check.
iFixit's guides are fantastic. If they look easy to you, then it's easy for you.
Dunno why it's not booting from the external, but once the new drive is installed you can simply boot from the OSX discs, format the drive and install OSX. Then you'll be good to go.
Not really. It's a pretty straight forward procedure. Good luck.
Some things are better mad...
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Diagnome: The Diagnosis Gnome||vittorioDV||iPhone and iPod touch Apps||1||May 31, 2014 10:25 AM|
|G4 1.25 iMac dying-Help w/diagnosis||spork183||PowerPC Macs||2||Feb 12, 2013 09:24 AM|
|Airport Extreme diagnosis||jud1th||Mac Peripherals||1||Jan 14, 2013 02:53 PM|
|MBP: diagnosis?||86nji||MacBook Pro||16||Jan 2, 2013 06:50 PM|
|PB G4 Display - Diagnosis?||Veinticinco||PowerPC Macs||4||Jul 16, 2012 02:04 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.