Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
I am having some trouble with my Powerbook G4. I am pretty sure my hard drive is failing but want to get some other opinions before I start replacing stuff. Over the last couple days the HDD starting make strange noises (clicking a lot, along with other undescribale noises). I am wanting to hold off buying a MBP until after Leopard is out.

I am wondering a few things:
1. Is my diagnosis of bad HDD right?
2. How easy is it to replace the HDD with a new one (seems pretty easy reading instructions from ifixit.com)
3. Will any 2.5" ATA drive work?
4. I installed OS X on a firewire drive before the internal drive died but now it will not boot. Am I right in assuming once the new drive is in I can pop the Install disk in and install OS X?
5. Am I forgetting anything? Any tips?

Thanks much for the help!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
1. Is my diagnosis of bad HDD right?

Seems pretty spot on, but use Apple Hardware Test just to double check.

2. How easy is it to replace the HDD with a new one (seems pretty easy reading instructions from ifixit.com)

iFixit's guides are fantastic. If they look easy to you, then it's easy for you.

3. Will any 2.5" ATA drive work?

Pretty much. :)

4. I installed OS X on a firewire drive before the internal drive died but now it will not boot. Am I right in assuming once the new drive is in I can pop the Install disk in and install OS X?

Dunno why it's not booting from the external, but once the new drive is installed you can simply boot from the OSX discs, format the drive and install OSX. Then you'll be good to go.

5. Am I forgetting anything? Any tips?

Not really. It's a pretty straight forward procedure. Good luck. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.