Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, just a thought - but if the machines are fast enough to get through a couple WUs a day, you could go to the Apple store in the morning and set one up, or a few...:D

Now, we'd need good scripts and easy access to them from the internet - and if we could *hide* the work files someway so they don't get erased, alter the ps aux terminal command to omit showing folding processes......

Any thoughts?

D

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: Hijacking G5s for folding....

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ok, just a thought - but if the machines are fast enough to get through a couple WUs a day, you could go to the Apple store in the morning and set one up, or a few...:D

Now, we'd need good scripts and easy access to them from the internet - and if we could *hide* the work files someway so they don't get erased, alter the ps aux terminal command to omit showing folding processes......

Any thoughts?

D

I have a thought! :D

good idea

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i can give mac subversion tips if ppl want them

i could also modify my scripts with hidden folders (. prefix) and immutable flags :cool:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by mc68k
i can give mac subversion tips if ppl want them

i could also modify my scripts with hidden folders (. prefix) and immutable flags :cool:

I think that might be appropriate - and we'd have to test it - set up a AppleStore member name (so we can keep track of production).

Do you have easy access to a Apple Store? If not, I could try it out at one near me. We could set it up on one of the G4s now and see if it gets any WUs done after a shut down and reboot at night.

Are there any special things Apple Stores do with their machines?

D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i'm more experienced with the compUSA stores. yesterday i checked my DP 1.42 and it was still going after a week

the crontab entries are set in stone (barring a re-install/re-image or a rare unix-savvy employee), if i was to instead make a startup item, it would be easy to delete

i could swing by the apple store this week. i'm just more wary because the ppl there seem to know more. but the flip side is that ive been in there before actually wanting to talk to someone, and nobody paid attention to me

apple store events are perfect subversion times too

when i wake up some more tonight i can post about my experiences, ymmv of course

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i was reading mac os x unleashed and found that crontab filename will install a crontab entry for the current user without a admin password (sudo crontab -u username filename)

so that'll make taking over machines one step easier...i must go to the apple store tomorrow and test it out

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
I thought I heard that at the apple stores they reformat the computers often, maybe even every day, and I think there might be a network startup, not sure.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by mc68k
i was reading mac os x unleashed and found that crontab filename will install a crontab entry for the current user without a admin password (sudo crontab -u username filename)

so that'll make taking over machines one step easier...i must go to the apple store tomorrow and test it out

Is there anyway the current install scripts could be modified to do this automatically. Just being able to open a script and answer a couple questions will surely speed things up especially when you are pressed for time in between nosey/pushy salesmen.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Scripts wouldn't work because they you would need to port forward I would think :)

Now if the apple store is still running 10.1.5 you could brute force APF heh get on the server :D

I better shut-up now before I get xserved with a cease & desist

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by whfsdude
Scripts wouldn't work because they you would need to port forward I would think :)

Now if the apple store is still running 10.1.5 you could brute force APF heh get on the server :D

I better shut-up now before I get xserved with a cease & desist

I'd hope like hell no Apple store is still running 10.1.5......

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
whatever you do, DONT GET CAUGHT!

think 007 style covert ops. get in, complete the mission, have sex with your lady of choice, and get out.

If you invert your logic to have sex first with the lady of choice of the store, you might put all the computers folding after! Hell, even the lady of choice home computer too!! :D

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
If you invert your logic to have sex first with the lady of choice of the store, you might put all the computers folding after! Hell, even the lady of choice home computer too!! :D

ahhhh! ;) good idea. (noted)

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Does 'folding' have a set number of benchmarks? I tried it on several Macs and I could not tell if its faster or slower on the different speed Macs.

I know that the RC5-64 had Kkeys/sec numbers that was related to the speed of the Macs.

Looked into the RC5-72(?) and it seems that the crunchers they use are not as fast as I've seen them on G4 machines.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Frohickey
Does 'folding' have a set number of benchmarks? I tried it on several Macs and I could not tell if its faster or slower on the different speed Macs.

I know that the RC5-64 had Kkeys/sec numbers that was related to the speed of the Macs.

Looked into the RC5-72(?) and it seems that the crunchers they use are not as fast as I've seen them on G4 machines.

Its almost impossible to do, besides for processor each unit or work unit varies in size so therefore there is no way to benchmark, and mac sucks at folding anyway... :(

stoid

macrumors 601
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

Are there any special things Apple Stores do with their machines?

I was at the Applle Store the other day buying an iTrip (very nice product!), and the guy said I could go ahead and install the driver stuff using one of the computers in the store because the get freshly imaged each night from a server in the back room. So unless you modify the image, the fah stuff will get lost every night.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by stoid
I was at the Applle Store the other day buying an iTrip (very nice product!), and the guy said I could go ahead and install the driver stuff using one of the computers in the store because the get freshly imaged each night from a server in the back room. So unless you modify the image, the fah stuff will get lost every night.

Yeah, thats only for the Apple Stores not the certified resellers. I have used Apple stores in the past to access my .Mac account and upload photos off of my digital camera so that I would have more room on my camera during our vacation. They're really good about letting you use them for whatever you need.

The certified resellers on the other hand are still open to being hijacked because I know at least the one here locally doesn't ever reinstall the system.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by MrMacman
Can someone explain the idea of re-imaging.

I'm pretty sure that they have a hard drive in the back room on a computer with a clean instal of 10.2, and when they re-image the macs at night, they are copying the disk image from the server to the macs HD, byte for byte.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Vlade
I'm pretty sure that they have a hard drive in the back room on a computer with a clean instal of 10.2, and when they re-image the macs at night, they are copying the disk image from the server to the macs HD, byte for byte.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Well obviously I don't know but there are apps that don't come with a normal system.

All of the apple based apps are on there...

I think photoshop was on the PowerMacs... I can't imagine they have to re-install every day.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i wouldnt do it, there is nothing more annoying to a salesman than people putting their stuff on their computers. plus the demos running on the computers kill every process when they start up. since its running at 100 cpu power fans are funning constantly so suddenly computers they are trying to sell are hotten and louder. but do whatever you guys want, i would find it annoying with anyone installing stuff on machines im trying to sell.

iJon

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by MrMacman
Well obviously I don't know but there are apps that don't come with a normal system.

I can't imagine they have to re-install every day.

I forgot to say that they include PS 7, FCP, and other apps on that "image" too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.