Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 17, 2007, 09:34 AM   #1
captainbeefheat
macrumors regular

Reset Mail?

Hi is there a way to just reset the Mail application to like when you opened it for the first time? I got a feeling I have changed some setting that I can't work out how to put back. Plus it now won't send out any mail. Just wana see it restoring it would work. I tried dumping the Mail folder in Library but it magically gets back all my folder and mail so not really sure what to do...
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:24 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Dump the Mail folder in your Library plus dump com.apple.mail.plist from the Preferences folder.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:07 AM   #3
captainbeefheat
macrumors regular

Thanks thats done trick...well reset everything anyway hopefully that will sort out my problems, I don;t seem to haave much luck with Mail clients...
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:57 AM   #4
heybhouse
macrumors newbie

also need help

i wrote an email using mail when offline. when i got online, it makes multiple copies of the email in my drafts folder until the program crashes (after about 10 seconds). i've tried to delete all copies of the email but no matter what i do, mail crashes within a few seconds of opening it. i can only use it when i'm not online but even then can't fix the problem. also, the above mentioned solution didn't work for me. my os is 10.5.1. any ideas? thanks!
heybhouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Turian.Spectre
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew View Post
Dump the Mail folder in your Library plus dump com.apple.mail.plist from the Preferences folder.
Wow thanks. worked great. i had the same issue and thought it would take me a while to find an answer, my first link was this. =)))))))
Turian.Spectre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #6
jkalhorn
macrumors newbie

Similar problem

Hello,
I bought this macbook second hand and the mail was already set up but I don't have the password for it. Is there anyway around this so that I can add an account or delete this one and start from new? I tried what was on these threads from this post and they did not work. thanks
jkalhorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Bugg98
macrumors newbie

Need help to reset mail password

I have lost my Mac iTunes store password and can not recover it by secret questions and I don't have any alternate email to reset it. Is anybody can help me how to recover my password.
Bugg98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:38 AM   #8
iphoneuser10
macrumors newbie

I need help!!!

Hello if there is anyone out there that can help me, I need help restarting or resetting the mail application on my macbook please help me!!! I really need to restart or reset my mail app. Anyone please?
iphoneuser10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:23 PM   #9
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphoneuser10 View Post
Hello if there is anyone out there that can help me, I need help restarting or resetting the mail application on my macbook please help me!!! I really need to restart or reset my mail app. Anyone please?
Any reason why post #2 does not work?
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:31 PM   #10
PigOMatic
macrumors newbie

Cannot find the folder

I am as well trying to restart my mail. I am looking for the folder but I cannot locate it I am running Lion specifically the Library folder in my home folder

Last edited by PigOMatic; Jan 24, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
PigOMatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:41 PM   #11
PigOMatic
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigOMatic View Post
I am as well trying to restart my mail. I am looking for the folder but I cannot locate it I am running Lion specifically the Library folder in my home folder
Nevermind found my answer... if your looking for it hold the option key and click go at the very top menu bar... tada

I also clicked the rebuild option in mail and so far so good....
PigOMatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:35 PM   #12
urbanbound
macrumors newbie

dump.library?

I found the right file but don't have any idea of how I am supposed to dump...
help..

my mail is broken
urbanbound is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 06:51 AM   #13
Sircampalot
macrumors newbie

Happened to mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanbound View Post
I found the right file but don't have any idea of how I am supposed to dump...
help..

my mail is broken
Mine was too. I was unable to send anything in Yahoo. Occasionally it would work but all of a sudden it would mysteriously stop sending and I could go on most of the day without even realising. So I wanted to do the complete clean out.

You can find the directories as mentioned by Mad Jew above by launching the Command Prompt (which is found in Accessories / Utilities folder). Once there you can do the following

$ cd Library
$ rm -r Mail
$ cd Preferences
$ rm com.apple.mail.plist

That fixed it for me (though I was surprised it still new a (incorrect) default email address in the start up window. I would have thought these two deletions would have killed off any memory of my old accounts and emails.
Sircampalot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:33 AM   #14
kratosmoy
macrumors newbie

Delete agenda information

Hi,

For me, the final solution was to delete my personal information from the Agenda application. It seems that Mail retrieves this information when it is launched. So, if you want to restart Mail as it was the very first time, I advice you to delete your personal card with your information.

Greetings.
kratosmoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store