Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
Hi is there a way to just reset the Mail application to like when you opened it for the first time? I got a feeling I have changed some setting that I can't work out how to put back. Plus it now won't send out any mail. Just wana see it restoring it would work. I tried dumping the Mail folder in Library but it magically gets back all my folder and mail so not really sure what to do...

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
Thanks thats done trick...well reset everything anyway hopefully that will sort out my problems, I don;t seem to haave much luck with Mail clients...

heybhouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
also need help

i wrote an email using mail when offline. when i got online, it makes multiple copies of the email in my drafts folder until the program crashes (after about 10 seconds). i've tried to delete all copies of the email but no matter what i do, mail crashes within a few seconds of opening it. i can only use it when i'm not online but even then can't fix the problem. also, the above mentioned solution didn't work for me. my os is 10.5.1. any ideas? thanks!

Turian.Spectre

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Dump the Mail folder in your Library plus dump com.apple.mail.plist from the Preferences folder. :)

Wow thanks. worked great. i had the same issue and thought it would take me a while to find an answer, my first link was this. =)))))))

jkalhorn

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
Similar problem

Hello,
I bought this macbook second hand and the mail was already set up but I don't have the password for it. Is there anyway around this so that I can add an account or delete this one and start from new? I tried what was on these threads from this post and they did not work. thanks

Bugg98

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
Need help to reset mail password

I have lost my Mac iTunes store password and can not recover it by secret questions and I don't have any alternate email to reset it. Is anybody can help me how to recover my password.

iphoneuser10

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I need help!!!

Hello if there is anyone out there that can help me, I need help restarting or resetting the mail application on my macbook please help me!!! I really need to restart or reset my mail app. Anyone please?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Hello if there is anyone out there that can help me, I need help restarting or resetting the mail application on my macbook please help me!!! I really need to restart or reset my mail app. Anyone please?

Any reason why post #2 does not work?

PigOMatic

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Cannot find the folder

I am as well trying to restart my mail. I am looking for the folder but I cannot locate it I am running Lion:confused: specifically the Library folder in my home folder

Last edited:

PigOMatic

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
I am as well trying to restart my mail. I am looking for the folder but I cannot locate it I am running Lion:confused: specifically the Library folder in my home folder
Nevermind found my answer... if your looking for it hold the option key and click go at the very top menu bar... tada

I also clicked the rebuild option in mail and so far so good....

urbanbound

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
Okc
dump.library?

I found the right file but don't have any idea of how I am supposed to dump...
help..

my mail is broken

Sircampalot

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
Happened to mine too

I found the right file but don't have any idea of how I am supposed to dump...
help..

my mail is broken

Mine was too. I was unable to send anything in Yahoo. Occasionally it would work but all of a sudden it would mysteriously stop sending and I could go on most of the day without even realising. So I wanted to do the complete clean out.

You can find the directories as mentioned by Mad Jew above by launching the Command Prompt (which is found in Accessories / Utilities folder). Once there you can do the following

$ cd Library
$ rm -r Mail
$ cd Preferences
$ rm com.apple.mail.plist

That fixed it for me (though I was surprised it still new a (incorrect) default email address in the start up window. I would have thought these two deletions would have killed off any memory of my old accounts and emails.

kratosmoy

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
Delete agenda information

Hi,

For me, the final solution was to delete my personal information from the Agenda application. It seems that Mail retrieves this information when it is launched. So, if you want to restart Mail as it was the very first time, I advice you to delete your personal card with your information.

Greetings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.