Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:40 AM   #1
kray
macrumors newbie

need an external hard disk

Can anyone recomend a well regarded external hard disk for a ti powerbook. 60GB is probably plenty big. I'd like it to be portable and no separate power supply is a plus.
kray is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:53 AM   #2
patrick0brien
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to patrick0brien Send a message via Yahoo to patrick0brien
-kray

I use this for my 12PB.

Seems to hit every mark you are looking for. I use this one for video editing, but there is a 'little brother' that is 4500RPM and smaller cache if you don't require the bandwidth (save $100).

These are FireWire bus powered - truly portable and small (about the size of a Pocket PC). It does come with an external cord if you wish to plug it in, but I've never used it. No drivers, just unpack, flip the little switch to "bus power", plug it in, and it'll mount. Still have to drag to trash before unplugging, otherwise you'll get the "data might be lost" message.

Last edited by patrick0brien; Jul 7, 2003 at 11:58 AM.
patrick0brien is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:54 AM   #3
morlium
macrumors regular

Lacie's Data Bank goes up to 20GB and comes highly recommended
... and of course, there's always the 30GB iPod.

edited for ignorance.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:03 PM   #4
Schiffi
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Schiffi Send a message via Yahoo to Schiffi
I use the ADS Pyro Drive Kit. It's not really that protable and it uses a seperate line for power, but it's upgradeable. You get it without any HDs included, but a 40gig runs about $50 right? Anyway, it uses 3.5" HDs or 5.25" drives. So if you get tired of having storage you can put in an optical drive. They have 2 FW400 ports in back and I use it with capturing DV video and it works pretty good.

www.adstech.com

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers