Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:45 PM   #1
vitruvius
macrumors regular

Talking the New iMac G5 picture

My last mock-up of the upcoming iMac G5

enjoy it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g5 imac ad.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	7234  
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:51 PM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Now that looks like it's been hit with a Chris Bangle stick.

Think Ikea.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 01:00 PM   #3
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Nice rendering - although I don't know if I like the cone shape....the screen is nice!

One question - would there be a fan or is this convection cooling?

D
Old Jul 7, 2003, 01:04 PM   #4
maradong
macrumors 65816

nice job. i d give you a 5/5.
maradong is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2003, 01:43 PM   #5
TMA
macrumors 6502a

Nice rendering (any chance we could see some other angles aswell or am I being greedy?) Looks alot nicer than the current iMacs imho.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 01:47 PM   #6
Kwyjibo
macrumors 68040

hehe...i'd like to see the bottom be a sphere that rests ina cradle that acts os a hub/docking station...still the cheesgrater theme here my idea with slightly less detail don't hit me
Attached Images

Kwyjibo is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2003, 01:51 PM   #7
cubist
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to cubist
Cones don't hold much. How about an aluminum cylinder? It doesn't need holes on the sides; the fan would be on the top, pulling air up thru from the bottom (as in the current iMac, right?).

As a Cube owner, I think Apple has learned their lesson on convection cooling, and that lesson is: Forget it. The amount of heat necessary to get sufficient air movement, is sufficient also to significantly lessen component life.
cubist is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2003, 02:52 PM   #8
nspeds
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to nspeds
That should say:

Enjoy the Beast OUTSIDE the beauty.

Your design gives Chris Bangle a good name=P.
nspeds is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2003, 02:57 PM   #9
strider42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
Cones don't hold much. How about an aluminum cylinder? It doesn't need holes on the sides; the fan would be on the top, pulling air up thru from the bottom (as in the current iMac, right?).

As a Cube owner, I think Apple has learned their lesson on convection cooling, and that lesson is: Forget it. The amount of heat necessary to get sufficient air movement, is sufficient also to significantly lessen component life.
i don't think thats true at all. convection cooling works great if done right. case in point: the fanless, convection cooled iMacs run significantly cooler than their fan cooled, tray loading cousins. Convection cooling isn't really dependent on a lot of heat, just good airflow. I can't say i've heard a lot about cube compents failing due to heat.

for what its worth, i'd much rather have a cone or dome like we have now instead fo a cylinder. a cylinder would be clunky I think. it would have to be wide like the current iMac to keep it all from tipping over. a cylinder the size of the footprint of the current iMac would just seem too large to be aesthetically pelasing. I could see something perhaps like the body of a laptop, a super thin platform, but i rather think the dome shape will be ehre for a while until the iMac totally changes.
strider42 is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2003, 04:42 PM   #10
MacFan25
macrumors 68000

the screen looks nice, but I'm not so sure if I like the cone-shaped bottom. I think it will be a while before the iMac is re-designed.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:32 AM   #11
jzieske
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jzieske
nice job, but i think i still prefer the white dome myself. Although that aluminum is starting to grow on me.
jzieske is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:48 AM   #12
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
that's actually really damn good. nice use of Iveism, tho that's a pretty big screen-- I would be happy if Apple came out with something like this...

tho i really doubt they'll redesign it this soon, unless the hardware requires it (which it very well may)...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2003, 01:29 AM   #13
macphoria
macrumors 6502a

Nice work.

But I hope next iMac will get rid of the chrome neck thingy. Displays tilt sideways slightly and it is just annoying. I hope next iMac will go back to earlier simpler design. Heck, if they could stick the CPU and etc behind 17" LCD Studio Display, I'd be happy with that baby.
macphoria is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2003, 01:43 AM   #14
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Nice, but I'd like a dome better. Oooh, and the same type of perforation as on the G5 PowerMacs. I think it would look smokin if they had the same type of perforated material in white.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers