Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juiceman311

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Okay, so I read somewhere that it is wise to not use the main Admin account--leave it in case stuff goes bad or something. Makes sense to me, but I have already tweaked a bunch of stuff on the Admin acct -- is there a way to import all the settings to the other account i created? Or is it even necessary/wise to use a separate account?

Thanks

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
It can be a good idea to have a daily use account separate from and without the access/ privileges of an admin account.

The simplest way at this point would be to go to System Preferences> System> Accounts> create a new account (click the little "+" button), and be sure to select the box that says, "Allow user to administer this computer."

Then when that account is fully up and running, select the account that you have made changes to, the one you want to be your daily user account and uncheck the box that says "Allow user to administer this computer."

Another tip is that regardless of which internet browser you're using, it's wise to disallow for completed downloads/ files to automatically open.

juiceman311

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2007
1- why is it wise to have a separate daily acct from the admin?
2- i figured out how to make the account, is there a way to import the settings from one account to another?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
For your first question, I don't feel qualified to answer that. :eek: I'm sure someone else can step in and better elaborate.
2- i figured out how to make the account, is there a way to import the settings from one account to another?
As for #2, if you did it properly, then you just start using your now non-admin accessible account. :) Should have all the same settings and whatnot. The idea is to only log in with your admin account when necessary and to do all your typical work and browsing with the standard user account.

:edit:

Mmkay. I guess I'm not being very clear or I'm not understanding your question.

Let's say the account I made when I first got this new machine I named JaneDoe and it is set as an admin account. I like the settings I've set for it, right? But it's safer to use a non-admin account on a daily basis. So I'll make a new account and give it the name, JohnSmith-- I check "allow user to admin this computer" and presto, that account is set-- the NEW admin account.

Then I make sure that JaneDoe, the first and original admin account, I make sure I uncheck that same "Allow user to admin this computer" box and it becomes a standard user account while still preserving all the settings I've grown accustomed to. I can now do all my usual tasks w/ the settings I like with the originally made and named account of JaneDoe.

Hope that helps.

juiceman311

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2007
right, but im saying ive been using my Admin account for 5 days now and have changed stuff around to my liking in those 5 days, can i import these changes to the new account or no>

panurge

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
I have no idea what you (juiceman333) are talking about. Didn't devilot just twice answer your question?

I also wanted to create a basic user account in addition to the admin one, but I didn't want to lose all the configurations and adjustments I had done with my original admin account.
It never occurred to me that this could be achieved as simple as devilot pointed out. So thanks!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I have no idea what you (juiceman333) are talking about. Didn't devilot just twice answer your question?
I think that juiceman333 wants to have the original account not be his daily use account.

The solution that devilot, while a neat solution, does not accomplish what juiceman333 wants to do.

Also juiceman333 wants to transfer account settings from one account to another. Maybe someone can chime in with a solution to that one. I believe that you can copy some files over, but now sure if that provides a good solution.

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
Mac OS X by design is not like Windows where the user can do whatever it likes whenever it likes. Mac OS X will ask for your permission via a password dialogue if anything needs to be done at an administrative level.

In my opinion using a normal level user for everyday is not really needed.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Mac OS X by design is not like Windows where the user can do whatever it likes whenever it likes. Mac OS X will ask for your permission via a password dialogue if anything needs to be done at an administrative level.

Yes, but once you login give permission with your user/pass, then its stored for that session, correct? Say you install (3) apps in a row, does it ask you for your user/pass each time, or only once?

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
just copy the settings from ~/Library/Application Support/Adium into the new accounts library folder

for each application that you have, copy that same folder over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.