Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
hi

I am not very techie so please accept apologies for a naive question.

I am getting delivery of my new macbook pro today. I have already received advice on how to transfer all my software and data over (thanks). Once done I will be selling my Powerbook.

Is it ok just to remove my personal data? Or do i need to do a complete reinstall?

If i need to do a complete reinstall i have a question. I cant remember where ive put my original discs but ive bought some which are original panther install to a powerbook. My powerbook runs on Tiger (ibought the upgrade discs last year but have put them with the originals no idea where!!). So do i just put in the powerbook install discs that i have just bought which will be for panther or can i just remove my data?

Many thanks .

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You'll need to sell the machine with discs if you're going to have OSX installed on it. I don't know if the PowerBook will necessarily boot from the Panther discs because typically a Mac will only boot on an OS that is current at the time of manufacture, or more recent. I guess it depends on how old your PowerBook is... Anyway, I highly recommend doing a full reformat and reinstall before selling the machine. If it boots from the Panther discs, then reformat it and reinstall with Panther. Otherwise, keep searching for those system discs! Congratulations on the new machine. :)

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
thanks for the info.

If i cant find the Tiger discs can i just buy another set?

I have a horrible feeling i left them in the box which i stupidly threw away a few months ago.

Thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well you could buy another set. Alternatively, reformat the drive but avoid installing anything on it. Tell the buyer that there is no OS included and then it'll be up to them to buy the OS. I can't imagine it'd be worth your while to buy Tiger simply to install on a machine you're selling, but it's entirely up to you. Who knows, the Panther discs might work! :)

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thanks for your help much appreciated.

I might just sell as is and remove all my data. Saves a lot of hassle but isnt secure i guess.

Cheers

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
Okay, fair enough. Create a new user account, set it up as whomever you want and then from that account, delete your current one. :)

Then if you are using tiger run disk utility and do a clean sweep of the empty space on the drive to prevent easy recovery of that data.

Disk utility is in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder. The option you are looking for is called "Erase Free Space".

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
Then if you are using tiger run disk utility and do a clean sweep of the empty space on the drive to prevent easy recovery of that data.

Disk utility is in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder. The option you are looking for is called "Erase Free Space".

Just so i totally understand it.

I set up a new admin in another name.

Then delete me as the user.

And then via disk utility i clean the empty space after deleting all of my personal data such as documents , email photos etc.?

Is that it? Sorry to sound stupid.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yep, that's right. I wouldn't bother with the disk space erase though. If the buyer really wants to get your dat, they'll probably be able to. Having said that, they'll have to know what they're doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.