Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups

Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:58 PM   #1
stefanot
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to stefanot
iPhone Purchasers: Chicago, IL

Was wondering how many of you were going to the downtown Chicago Apple store to pick up the iPhone and around what time. I'm getting off of work at about 5 and was going to walk down there afterwards and was trying to gauge how long the line would be.
stefanot is offline   0
Old Jun 18, 2007, 03:23 PM   #2
McCarron
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanot View Post
Was wondering how many of you were going to the downtown Chicago Apple store to pick up the iPhone and around what time. I'm getting off of work at about 5 and was going to walk down there afterwards and was trying to gauge how long the line would be.
I'll be hitting up the Schaumburg Woodfield store.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 03:53 PM   #3
aricher
macrumors 68020

I live 2 miles from the Mich Ave. store and work 3/4 mile from the Woodfield store. I think I'll leave work early and go get in line at Woodfield. McCarron - you'll probably see me there - I'll be the guy with a wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket.
aricher is offline   0
Old Jun 18, 2007, 03:55 PM   #4
StrayRooster
macrumors member

I, too, will be at the Woodfield store. Planning on getting there in the morning sometime.

Aricher, what time are you getting there?
StrayRooster is offline   0
Old Jun 18, 2007, 04:08 PM   #5
runplaysleeprun
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to runplaysleeprun
I probably will be at the Woodfield store as well, but I might go to the Michigan ave store depending where I end up in the city on the fatefull day. I'll be the skinny irish guy.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 04:13 PM   #6
aricher
macrumors 68020

I'll see how the line looks around lunchtime - probably just go there or the local AT&T store on Golf Road when I leave work early at 4 pm.
aricher is offline   0
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:07 AM   #7
johnny6ass
macrumors newbie

probably going to check out Michigan Ave store in the morning and line up if necessary... hopefully won't have to until later in the day.
johnny6ass is offline   0
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:09 AM   #8
FF_productions
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to FF_productions Send a message via Skype™ to FF_productions
Well being that I'm not going to buy an iPhone, I'd still like to check it out at the Woodfield Mall. There is going to be a crazy crowd when that day comes.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:59 AM   #9
piecewise
macrumors newbie

iPhone in Chicago

People in Chicagoland.. What is your attack plan for the iPhone next friday? Schaumburg? Downtown? Any big AT&T stores in Lincoln Park or Wicker Park? Let's start plotting! Who's camping out? When are people showing up if you're not camping out?
piecewise is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:08 PM   #10
abgould
macrumors member

I live in the city and have two AT&T stores within one mile of me - but everytime I go to one, they seem somewhat clueless. I am thinking of driving to the Oak Brook Apple store location, where I have had excellent service in the past. Since I am off that day - I am thinking about going out in the morning and monitoring the line before queueing up.

Last edited by abgould; Jun 20, 2007 at 04:54 PM.
abgould is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:38 AM   #11
toomuchrock
macrumors member

downtown

I'm not working right now so I can get to the downtown store anytime. I'm wondering when is the right time? You think 3pm as folks are talking about is fine or should I show up at Noon? I can't imagine that I want to be there any earlier than that unless they have jugglers there for me. Honestly it's not even my godphone (no wireless sync, no acting as a bluetooth modem for my MBP), but I figure it can replace my palm and my iPod and then we'll see about the phone stuff later -- I'm not cancelling my other phone.
toomuchrock is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:20 AM   #12
McCarron
macrumors regular

Woodfield

So what is everyone's plan of attack for hitting up the Schaumburg/Woodfield area stores?

I know that StrayRooster is going early to Woodfield, I'm probably taking a half day on Friday depending on how my work project is going. Also depending on what he tells me it's like there.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:23 PM   #13
aricher
macrumors 68020

I'm going to leave work at 4 PM and head to the Schaumburg store (3/4 mile away). I thought about going to the downtown flagship store but the thought of standing in an already long line there combined with the tourists and Taste of Chicago crowd just doesn't sound pleasant to me.
aricher is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:32 PM   #14
McCarron
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricher View Post
I'm going to leave work at 4 PM and head to the Schaumburg store (3/4 mile away). I thought about going to the downtown flagship store but the thought of standing in an already long line there combined with the tourists and Taste of Chicago crowd just doesn't sound pleasant to me.
I work about 3 miles away in Hoffman Estates, and may be heading over at the same time.

I can report here via StrayRooster how the line is looking at Woodfield. He plans on getting there early as they'll let him get in line. If it's getting longer around 2pm I may head over a bit early.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:45 PM   #15
aricher
macrumors 68020

Everyone here knows the MacRumors secret signal and handshake, right?
aricher is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 01:49 PM   #16
dlpmaster
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to dlpmaster Send a message via MSN to dlpmaster
Yeah, I'm actually taking the day off on Friday.
I was thinking of going by Noon or something like that.
I made a few phone calls to the Old orchard/Woodfield mall, and they told me this:
First that they will not allow anyone to start making lines prior to the date.
Store security will not allow this to happen. They might carry from 100-200 phones (if what the guy told me is correct). Another thing he wasn't sure was about existing Cingular/AT&T users who are already on 1/2 year(s) plans, if they will allow us to purchase the phone and exctending the (already owned) contract to 2 years from June29th.

Now this might seem like just guesses but that's what I got.

Now, I do plan on getting this.. Anyone out there have any plans on how this will run? I was thinking of camping at my Cingular store (on Chicago ave and Church [I Think?]) but I think i would be more secure for me to get it at the Apple store than it would be at a Cingular store.
Hopefully we don't get disappointed by not getting enough for the big crowds.

Any thoughts?
dlpmaster is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:05 PM   #17
Acehigh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchrock View Post
I'm not working right now so I can get to the downtown store anytime. I'm wondering when is the right time? You think 3pm as folks are talking about is fine or should I show up at Noon? I can't imagine that I want to be there any earlier than that unless they have jugglers there for me. Honestly it's not even my godphone (no wireless sync, no acting as a bluetooth modem for my MBP), but I figure it can replace my palm and my iPod and then we'll see about the phone stuff later -- I'm not cancelling my other phone.

Replace your PALM? Really? I guess you do not use any third party software.. somebody needs to make a Palm emulator for the Iphone. I will even pay for that software.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:54 PM   #18
ChrisSamsa
macrumors member

Anyone going to Oakbrook? Seems like everyone's going to Woodfield.. I've never been to that store, but I expected to see more people heading up to the Oakbrook store.. maybe I'm in luck.. I was planning on being lazy and not waiting in line and ordering mine online, but maybe i'll head up to Oakbrook seeing as nobody on these forums seems to be heading there, so I'll take this as a microcosm of the apple-buying community and maybe go up there to check it out..
ChrisSamsa is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:59 PM   #19
abgould
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSamsa View Post
Anyone going to Oakbrook? Seems like everyone's going to Woodfield.. I've never been to that store, but I expected to see more people heading up to the Oakbrook store.. maybe I'm in luck.. I was planning on being lazy and not waiting in line and ordering mine online, but maybe i'll head up to Oakbrook seeing as nobody on these forums seems to be heading there, so I'll take this as a microcosm of the apple-buying community and maybe go up there to check it out..
I am planning on going to Oak Brook - intend to be there first thing Friday morning.
abgould is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:02 PM   #20
McCarron
macrumors regular

Oakbrook does have a lower sales tax, 7% vs 8.25% that Woodfield has. I know this because a Woodfield Store Apple Store rep told my friend to go there to save a bit on sales tax.

It's too far for me though to make it there at a good hour after I leave work.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:58 PM   #21
ipodmylife224
macrumors newbie

I will be going to the Northbrook store. Do you think it will be extremely crowded at even the Northbrook store?
ipodmylife224 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:19 PM   #22
lu0s3r322
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to lu0s3r322
finally someone who's going to the northbrook store! im going but just to demo it if my parents are willing to drive me.

shouldnt be too crowded i think. although the store is the closest to all the north east illinois residents, but i think some will choose to drive to milwaukee? i dont really know
lu0s3r322 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:49 PM   #23
mac jones
macrumors 68040

i'm in Chicagoland myself.

I've got a feeling that it might be ok getting one as there are so many Apple stores (and I guess ATT stores) around

I think there's 5 or 6 Apple stores. Two of them pretty close together (Woodfield and Oak Park)

Last edited by mac jones; Jun 25, 2007 at 06:59 PM.
mac jones is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:59 PM   #24
nickspohn
macrumors 68040

either the local AT&T store or woodfield.

at least at woodfield if we go with someone, we can walk around rather than just go to a AT&T and wait outside.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:25 PM   #25
bacsig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspohn View Post
either the local AT&T store or woodfield.

at least at woodfield if we go with someone, we can walk around rather than just go to a AT&T and wait outside.

Does anyone know which are the corporate At&t stores and which are franchises? I tried their website but it didn't distinguish between the two. I was hoping there would be less of a line in their stores than the Apple Store. I live equidistant from Woodfield and Old Orchard Apple stores. Which one is likely to be less busy. Standing in line for hours is not an option.
bacsig is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups