Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bprice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
LA, Ca.
I know I’m giving up a little soon but.:confused: .…I just got my Mac Mini last week and I want to import files from my PC.I’ve done a search and the closest I’ve come to an”easy” solution was move2mac.Anybody have a fairly clear-cut simple way to migrate my files? thanks.

Butch

Retired
May 16, 2006
How much stuff do you want to copy?

Burning a DVD could be easy if its under 5GB...I didn't need any apps when I transferred via ethernet (share the folders on Windows, and find them with Finder->Network on the mac) :)

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
I use an external drive to transfer files, formatted in the FAT32 file system. Both the Mac and PC can write and read FAT32.

bprice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
LA, Ca.
Thanks all.

I used ethernet(I don't have a dvd burner or ext HD)

i tried to network share files but ..i can't get it to work ....I have no idea why ....

if any one has a "simplified" walk thru not a link and head scratch for two hours(the mac tutorial is way too convoluted for me)....please don't assume i know the all the acronyms... or much of anything!! Plain language works best ...:confused:

thanks again

bp

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
lol...kk

the way i do it (mates PC, my MacBook), is with ethernet (hope you know what that is, if not look in the dictionary).

connect the ethernet to the PC and Mac (make sure they're both on)

go to finder/network

in there it should be under servers...if not, you have to browse to find it (don't know it well enough to get detailed here)

if you see your PC under server, click on it and just go ahead and copy the files

bprice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
LA, Ca.
lol...kk

the way i do it (mates PC, my MacBook), is with ethernet (hope you know what that is, if not look in the dictionary).

connect the ethernet to the PC and Mac (make sure they're both on)

go to finder/network

in there it should be under servers...if not, you have to browse to find it (don't know it well enough to get detailed here)

if you see your PC under server, click on it and just go ahead and copy the files

i figured out ethernet without going to the dictionary:cool:

...didn't work..theres nothing about servers anywhere near there.....i searched everywhere..

bp

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Knowing that I am an idiot, proceed onward.

Make sure you're connected via ethernet or wireless with a router or switch. I can't help you with a "direct connection" because I'm not smhhat enuf.

PC SIDE:::
You should have file sharing turned on on the PC, or at least enable file sharing on a folder. Stand by .... Booting parallels to be sure I'm not talking out of my @$$...

Right click on whatever folder on the PC you wish to share the contents from and go to properties-

Select the "sharing" tab.

Under "Network sharing and security" click the "if you understand the risks and want to blah blah blah" sentence.

Now the pop up select "Just enable file sharing". and click ok.

Now the box will be open on the first screen "share this folder on the network" check it off.

Make a share name for this folder that you will be able to find easily and hit ok or apply.

Now, good idea to reboot the PC to be sure all the changes took effect. While you're waiting, good idea to reboot the MAC to make sure it refreshes too -- this is more out of voodoo.

MAC Side:::
Go to Macintosh HD and select network (after the PC is good and booted up) wait a minute before clicking, it can take a moment for the network screen to update.

See if shes there (the PC folder you named) or the PC name. If not, try searching for the folder you just named.

If so, click on it, and the authentication screen should pop up, do NOT put in a password unless youve specified this on the PC. Next select whatever folder / volume you created and click "ok".

It should mount the folder or drive on your desktop, and you can grab files from it. If you want to write TO the PC, you will have to enable write-control on the PC side -- by default, this is read only.

If you're still having some troubles,

Temporarily disable the firewall on the PC, and make sure the firewall settings on the MAC are not going to conflict -- On the Mac go to System pref, internet and network, sharing, verify that "Personal File Sharing" is enabled on the services tab, and on the firewall tab too.

Best of luck to you.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I just did this, transferring all my files and folders from 3 PCs on my home network to my new Mac Pro. It was really quite simple

On the Mac, go to File Sharing and enable "Windows Sharing". Then, go to the PC and open My Network Places, then select "New Network Place". Enter the Mac's IP address on your local network as \\10.10.1.198\mac computer name (the Windows Sharing tab will actually show you the exact format, IP address and correct Mac computer name). The Mac folder will come up in a window on the PC, and from there it's just drag and drop..all the files on the PC that you drag into the Mac window are transferred.

bprice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
LA, Ca.
thanks Big and Hmac but no prize.... neither method works....i'm on my 7th varition.....this sucks ..I'm hating macs...:cool: ..anybody want to buy a mini...:eek:

bp

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
thanks Big and Hmac but no prize.... neither method works....i'm on my 7th varition.....this sucks ..I'm hating macs...:cool: ..anybody want to buy a mini...:eek:

bp

so that again and ill kill you!!!!!

1.turn on "windows sharing" on your mac in system pref/sharing
2.hit the accounts button and select a user that u can log in as.
3.go to the pc, network the 2 computers
4.in a windows explorer window go options>map network drive
5. type in the address of your mac, \\10.0.1.1/username (e.g. mine is \\10.0.1.3/dofot9)
6. the password box should come up. if not then something is being done wrong.

if u get this far you can transfer files.

sorry if this doesnt work
DoFoT9

bprice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
LA, Ca.
so that again and ill kill you!!!!!

1.turn on "windows sharing" on your mac in system pref/sharing
2.hit the accounts button and select a user that u can log in as.
5. type in the address of your mac, \\10.0.1.1/username (e.g. mine is \\10.0.1.3/dofot9)
6. the password box should come up. if not then something is being done wrong.

if u get this far you can transfer files.

sorry if this doesnt work
DoFoT9

thanks for trying to help dofo ....however ......it didn't help..

1.turn on "windows sharing" on your mac in system pref/sharing .. check
2.hit the accounts button and select a user that u can log in as....check

connect the ethernet cables between the two computers???.... i did

sorry i have not a clue what you mean.....please be SPECIFIC....what window where....:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

bprice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
LA, Ca.
I honestly don't know how much more simpler than http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X it can get. It has screenshots. It has directions. It works.

Thanks janey....i wish it did ...but it doesn't.....

I have to clarify one thing.....“missed” piece” of this puzzle (and there have been many) and nothing works....….not one method has been the same…No one said I HAD to have a password for my XP ..never have had one never used it….on that note

I did everything to a T” in these instructions

http://guides.macrumors.com/Networki..._with_Mac_OS

then here….

When asked to authenticate enter the name of your PC in “Workgroup/Domain” (Unless your PC is part of a domain and your PC account is held on a domain controller, in which case enter the domain that you normally log on to Windows with). For “Username” and “Password” enter the username and password which you use to log on to your Windows machine with. Click ok and your shared folder should be mounted as a network drive on your desktop.

It never asked to authenticate after I clicked connect and after 3 minutes of searching(for the hundredth time!!):eek: :eek: :eek: it says error code-36 data could not be read…..i wish you were here……this is ridiculous…:apple:

cheese $600 ...firm..(it's got 1gb ram) pu only in Long Beach Ca.

bp

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
exactly what are you connecting to? My point is not to follow the exact directions but to replace all IP addresses and names and passwords as applicable. Sounds like that's where you're stuck.

bprice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
LA, Ca.
exactly what are you connecting to? My point is not to follow the exact directions but to replace all IP addresses and names and passwords as applicable. Sounds like that's where you're stuck.

okay i must be getting punchy but ,,are you asking me what i'm trying to do?...:eek: i'm trying to transfer my files by networking my @%$&^(* mac to my #@%$^(* pc....nothing has worked.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

replace what ...there's nothing to replace ...they were always correct...i was never told i had to have a log on password in XP and thats it....

<<<<<<<It is important that the account you log in with on your XP system has a password set, if it does not you will not be able to login to your Windows share from OS X.>>>>>>

so idid ...din't help....the only thing is see askew is my workgroup name is off. its not all uppercase...

,<<<<,,,You need to put your Mac in the same workgroup as your Windows PC.>>>>>

i can'tr believe this is that hard.Can anyone trouble shoot this instead of just giving me a method that doesn't work....thanks...

bp

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i am pretty sure you will not need to make the mac join the domain/workgroup of the pc.

i believe that my way that i stated above is the way i do it everday to connect to my mac from a pc at school, if you wish i can run it thru you step by step. it really should work tho.

any of those ways should work, its just the small things.

knuttt

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Birmingham, UK
connect the ethernet cables between the two computers???.... i did

Errr, shouldn't there be a router in there somewhere, I'm a total novice but was pretty sure you can't just connect a cable directly between the two machines (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong) without getting all technical.

If I'm right (and thats a BIG if), then you'll need some kind of network hub between the two machines.

Personally, I used a 400gb external hard drive as these are a getting cheap as chips to buy at the moment.

Best of Luck

Andy
(recent mac convert, still stumbling but getting there)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i just had a brain wave (globe lights up)

what kind of cable are you using? it would have to be a patch cable, otherwise a normal cable wouldnt do the job. i wont get into it much, pcs have this problem with not being able to do something with certian cables. im pretty sure that you would need a patch cable. maybe thats why none of these options are working for you?

eluk

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2006
East London, UK
1. Open Finder
2. command+K
3. Enter server address - smb://192.168.xxx.xxx (your Windows machine address)
4. Click connect
5. Select the volume you want to connect to
6. Click OK

bprice

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
LA, Ca.
Thanks janey....i wish it did ...but it doesn't.....

I have to clarify one thing.....“missed” piece” of this puzzle (and there have been many) and nothing works....….not one method has been the same…No one said I HAD to have a password for my XP ..never have had one never used it….on that note

I did everything to a T” in these instructions

http://guides.macrumors.com/Networki..._with_Mac_OS

It never asked to authenticate after I clicked connect and after 3 minutes of searching(for the hundredth time!!):eek: :eek: :eek: it says error code-36 data could not be read…..i wish you were here……this is ridiculous…:apple:

c

bp

Here I go again......it just does this same error code as above.I wiped my drive and reinsatlled (the Ip changed and yes i corrected it)and ....same thing......cable is the exact same one i'm using right now.

NO WHERE have i seen where it is necassary to use a a special cable or router box...

can this be a hardware (my mini ) or software issue ..this is getting real old....i can't waste another day on it.

ps. thanks guy for trying to help however everyone of you always leave out a deatil. Knutt and dofo finally got it right...Big tihad it from the beginnign sorry didn't see that part.... from what i've been told i need a router.NO where was that a condition in any of the instructions(apple tutor) i even called apple tech nada...

Please be more effiecent and research EXACTLY how to do things before you try to instruct all it leads to is not helping at all...

bp

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
If I'm right (and thats a BIG if), then you'll need some kind of network hub between the two machines.
what kind of cable are you using? it would have to be a patch cable, otherwise a normal cable wouldnt do the job. i wont get into it much, pcs have this problem with not being able to do something with certian cables. im pretty sure that you would need a patch cable. maybe thats why none of these options are working for you?

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. It's actually not a patch cable, but a crossover cable that you need to connect two computers together with no additional hardware. However, all new macs and a lot of newer networking hardware have autosensing ethernet ports that make the need for a crossover cable moot. Only one computer out of the two needs it, and your mini is guaranteed to have one of those ports. Pretty much any mac in like the past few years has one of these ports, and a lot of networking hardware does as well.

So. WRONG. You don't need a crossover cable, and if you have any sort of Intel Mac, you don't need one at all whatsoever hammer this into your head okay?

ps. thanks guy for trying to help however everyone of you always leave out a deatil. Knutt and dofo finally got it right...Big tihad it from the beginnign sorry didn't see that part.... from what i've been told i need a router.NO where was that a condition in any of the instructions(apple tutor) i even called apple tech nada...

Please be more effiecent and research EXACTLY how to do things before you try to instruct all it leads to is not helping at all...

bp
You absolutely don't need a router okay? I've networked xp and macosx without a router, without anything except your standard cat5/6 cable.

I have no idea why those guide directions aren't working for you. Why don't you tell us exactly what you're doing, like what you're typing in, and then we can go somewhere.

I'm sorry, but you're the one writing incomprehensible posts, demanding irrational amounts of help, insulting people and god knows what else when you are telling us NOTHING that would give a hint as to what is wrong with what you are doing that you are one of the first to have an issue with the guide, which has worked for probably anyone else who's looked at it. So perhaps you could so kindly tell WHAT you are typing in, I don't care if you follow the guide directions, so maybe we can go somewhere with this.

Calm down. Networking is trivial, and it REALLY doesn't help whatsoever when all you do is scream about your issues that you haven't really described other than "it doesn't work" and "i followed the directions exactly" and offer to sell a brand new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.