Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kentfrancisco

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Does anyone have a good recommendation? Sorry if I missed an earlier thread...tried searching and saw lots of threads on the subject, but none with a link to a program...

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If you can't see them you don't need to look for them. you will be able to see any dead pixels if they are ones that will bother you.

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
You get one year free apple warranty, that gives you one year (given that you didn't get AppleCare) to find a dead pixel.

I think if there is a dead pixel you'll find it within a year

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I wouldn't recommend looking for them, as you will feel bad if you find one (one that you would be really happy if you hadn't had found or known about). But if you really want to, download this app: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10793
and check for oddly colored pixels on all of the different colors it cycles through. The most obvious is that on the blue screen, dead pixels show up black.

Macbie

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
amen lol, don't end up like me, not knowing is better than knowing a particular spot that will always drive you nuts

Magnus Reftel

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Does anyone have a good recommendation? Sorry if I missed an earlier thread...tried searching and saw lots of threads on the subject, but none with a link to a program...

For checking for dead pixels, I just write a text file with the following contents:
<body bgcolor="#ff0000">
and save it as something.html and load that file in a web browser and maximize the window (fullscreen if the browser has it). Use #ff0000, #00ff00 and #0000ff to test for broken red, green and blue subpixels respectively.

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
the only problem is that to use these programs you really should clean your screen so you dont' mistake a bit of dirt for a dead pixel :rolleyes:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You get one year free apple warranty, that gives you one year (given that you didn't get AppleCare) to find a dead pixel.

I think if there is a dead pixel you'll find it within a year

I reckon you'd be quite lucky to have Apple replace a product for you based on one dead pixel.

Unless it's stuck, there's not much you can do once you find a dead pixel besides creating a thread here complaining about it, which gives you even less reason to look for it in the first place. :p

Magnus Reftel

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
I reckon you'd be quite lucky to have Apple replace a product for you based on one dead pixel.

Unless it's stuck, there's not much you can do once you find a dead pixel besides creating a thread here complaining about it, which gives you even less reason to look for it in the first place. :p

Depends on the return policy. For instance, in the EU, you have two weeks to change your mind about an on-line purchase (unless you start using the product). If you're careful not to leave marks (e.g. only boot from a Linux live CD and never the HD), you can probably use that to return the computer if you find dead pixels on the screen.

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
I wouldn't bother 'looking' for a dead pixel(s). If there is one you will spot it without a whole lot of effort. As another poster mentioned you have a year to bring this sort of problem up with Apple.

In another thread on this forum a poster mentioned that Apple won't replace a computer/screen unless the number of dead pixels in a square inch area exceeds 7, I don't know how accurate this is but a call to your Apple store should give a more definite answer.

Sopranino

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007

I know a guy that had a MBP and saw a single dead pixel in the corner of his screen, called apple and got it fixed.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Who doesn't! :D

skitched20070623014201ad23b.jpg

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'm not entirely sure if this would work but here goes:

Doesn't Techtools Deluxe (you get it with your AppleCare) have a test which tests your graphics RAM? It basically fills your screen from top to bottom with a single colour and repeats it for several primary/secondary colours.

It's probably not the best for testing for dead pixels since once the screen is completely filled with the current colour, it'll wipe and start over with the text. But it's an option.

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
Your friend must have been very persuasive. :cool:

Wellllllll, i wouldn't call him a friend per say :rolleyes:

Also i'm not sure wether he had apple care or not, i just remember that he was pretty happy that he got it fixed :p oh and it was fairly new, as in only a month or so old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.