Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I just had a look in the Safari 3 preferences, to see how it handled paswords and I'm mystified to find things like lucky9 for ebay, that's nothing to do with me, in fact I don't recognise any password in the image. None of them are mine. In fact I've not visited NYTimes for a long time, certainly not on June 8th.

Attachments

• lucky.gif
    lucky.gif
    60.6 KB · Views: 140

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Those aren't all passwords, lots of sites you aren't even likely to return to like to set persistent cookies for all sorts of trivial things, and then there is a whole mess of ad tracker activity going on too.

Even a casual glance at an eBay listing (say, something mentioned in a posting here) will leave cookie crumbs.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I don't use RSS.

What's "lucky9" about then, that can't be some sort of auto thing surely?

Even more strange, my real ebay name is not there at all.

iMeowbot, OK but *some* are, and they aren't mine.

edit, I meant, cookies not passwords.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
What's "lucky9" about then, that can't be some sort of auto thing surely?
It's one of the ones eBay deposits on every browser that visits, lucky9 and dp1 seem to take pretty much no activity to grab (perhaps an image view would be enough). The names you are seeing are like variables, same for everyone, and the name doesn't necessarily have anything to do with its function.
iMeowbot, OK but *some* are, and they aren't mine.
They're "yours" in some form or another, all of them come from some form of Web transmission. You cam cut down on the number of mystery cookies by setting Safari to only grab "from sites you visit", but even then you may see some surprises because frames hide the real host and such, a simple click from a Google search can leave 'em, and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.