Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
So far McDonald's only does this in Manhattan and San Francisco, if I remember correctly. It would be really interesting if they did it nationwide....think of all the travelers, truckers, and tourists who'd rest easy knowing they can eat and email anywhere they go. More reason to buy a laptop....

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by rueyeet
So far McDonald's only does this in Manhattan and San Francisco, if I remember correctly. It would be really interesting if they did it nationwide....think of all the travelers, truckers, and tourists who'd rest easy knowing they can eat and email anywhere they go. More reason to buy a laptop....
i think that this is where we are headed in the next few years. it's a relatively inexpensive service, and one that is good for business from people who have money. and laptops, of course. is this service going to cost money, like stupid starbucks, or will they make it free or ad-based, like Schlotzky's and Mozart's, a coffee shop here in Austin?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i dont think i'll be going ito Mcdonalds to have internet access and eat.
#1i think there is a big risk of getting food on the computer, and
#2 i dont like McDonalds.
lol:p

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
And whats the deal with the last line? 'intel's wireless chip?' That always cracks me up. Intel has the stupidest way of trying to convince people that the chip actually has something to do with the fact that the computer is wireless. WTF?

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Unless such chain resturants have expanded "dining" rooms, I don't see the point because the whole idea of "fast food" while eating "for here" is to get 'em in and get 'em out...well...fast.

Refreshing the seating area is important to these places. With provided Internet access, it'll just keep the customer there longer. (however, if there is a charge or fee involved for the connection, that's just another source of revenue to the chain, so my point may be moot.)

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I believe I read something about this on CNN a while back that said that McDonalds would give you X number of minutes when you bought a combo or a certain amount of food, and you could purchase extra time if needed. You could also go back and buy more food if you wanted more time.

Alia

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by alia
I believe I read something about this on CNN a while back that said that McDonalds would give you X number of minutes when you bought a combo or a certain amount of food, and you could purchase extra time if needed. You could also go back and buy more food if you wanted more time.

Alia
yes, i remember reading something like that too. i think that's right.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's going to take off the ground at a fast food restaurant like McDonalds. We'll just have to wait and see...

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
It will be interesting to see how many people will use it.

I sure wouldn't want to eat greasy foods and then use my laptop, though.

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
Am I the only one who's afraid of the "INTELification" of WiFi? They better not start messing with the standard that Apple popularized, or we'll have another "Windows InternetExplorer" only situation.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
I personally wouldn't be caught dead bringing my TiBook into McDonalds .. all those kids + grease + mess = big trouble. I don't know about other McDs, but the ones in my area are just plain nasty .. I'd rather go to a WiFi enabled Starbucks or something! (especially since Starbucks is a significantly better environment for my taste).

Although I'm not saying it's not a bad idea .. maybe WiFi will spread like an epidemic when kids realize they can play on Disney.com while greasing up their parents' laptops and eating their McNuggets.;)

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
A future scenario:
A population of obese americans who can't pry their hands from their computer for 30 minutes or take a break away from Im'ing and emailing to eat a healthy meal. Would we view ourselves as a fast food nation or a wired nation?

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Originally posted by MacManDan
I personally wouldn't be caught dead bringing my TiBook into McDonalds .. all those kids + grease + mess = big trouble.
Maybe Macdonald's is going to set up a special section for the WiFi users, and keep it clean so the laptops won't get messed up.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by medea
A future scenario:
A population of obese americans who can't pry their hands from their computer for 30 minutes or take a break away from Im'ing and emailing to eat a healthy meal. Would we view ourselves as a fast food nation or a wired nation?
a nation of extremes, perhaps. thanks for the cynical note. i'm sure the RIAA appeals to the maintenance of high-dollar CD album markets by asking, what if we become a nation of people who just sit at our computers and download music, a nation of thieves? we can't possibly think of progress, it will only lead to thievery.

tazo

macrumors 68040
and of course they wont be in washington st :rolleyes:

tight but 250 million people in the US don't live in SF :(

also at the end of the article it says 'to make sure they work with Intel's wireless chips.

I would not be surprised if they shut out macs.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by tazo
also at the end of the article it says 'to make sure they work with Intel's wireless chips.

I would not be surprised if they shut out macs.

I don't think they'd do that - you'll end up seeing the exact same thing you see at B&N and Starbucks.....so anyone in SF?

Go take a trip to McDonald's, get a few pics if they're advertising the WiFi and upload them on your Mac to the site :D

D

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
Hmm you mean that the WiFi at StarBucks is not Mac-Compatiable...I thought that WiFi was a standard of somesort. Or does it just mean that the Wireless reouter that they are using won't give the Mac an IP addy? I am a bit confused anyone care to enlighten me. Hmm WiFi at McDonalds could be a cool things, Esp. if your in an Airport, or out of state etc. Similar to most hotels nowanddays

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Its most likely going to be a DHCP set up - all you have to do is see the wireless with your airport turned on and you should be able to connect.

Now if they're going to only allow you a certain amount of time, or make sure you pay for food before you surf, I have no idea how they'll enforce that.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.