Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
So, since I've been naively checking the itunes store for video content every five minuets for the past god knows how many months, even though I know full well that there is no point whatsoever since the date would be huge news on this website weeks before the launch. **Breaths**

Lets all have a jolly discussion about the inevitable TV and movie content coming to Europe. Now I recall a while back that 'Bad girls' was placed in the store by accident so this indicates the itv network will have some of their content in the store, but what about bbc? Don't they and channel four both have their own program download service? If so this doesn't look like they will also be offering content in itunes. I assume that the movies will be virtually the same as the U.S store.

What do you guy think? What Tv content do you expect to see in the U.K store? What content do you want?

Let's discuss:)

(I NEED to talk about this since I've waiting so long!):p

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
So no-one bothered about this then? :(
Just though, its likely that the Tv and movies will be released at the apple paris thing, possibly along side a new ipod:)

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Apple have said that movies will be added sometime in 2007.

I think TV shows are more complicated. Maybe they'll come at the same time as the movies?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Stations in the UK are organising their own download sites, but while they may keep those sites up, they are going to realise the tremendous value in also offering their wares under iTMS's umbrella.

Imagine if Virgin only sold their CDs in Virgin MegaStores. iTMS has millions of hungry buyers. Everyone will see the sense of offering their products for sale there.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
I really wish they'd hurry up. We've got AppleTV and no films! Whereas in the US they have tons of films.

But is it Apple thats dragging its heels or the film companies? :confused:

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I would be very surprised if the BBC isn't on there. They will probably have their most popular shows, like Top Gear, Spooks, Hustle, Dr Who etc. We will probably also get some of the more popular UK shows from Channels 4 and 5 (and ITV as already mentioned).

The US shows that are on Channels 4 and 5 should also be on there (since you can already buy to download them from their sites). So that means stuff like Ugly Betty, Desperate House Wives, Scrubs, CSI, House, Shark etc

But I would be surprised if there is much more than that. We won't be getting the stuff that is on SkyONE since there will be less incentive for people get satellite if they can just buy from iTunes.

Although I am personally more looking forward to HD movie downloads.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I would be very surprised if the BBC isn't on there. They will probably have their most popular shows, like Top Gear, Spooks, Hustle, Dr Who etc. We will probably also get some of the more popular UK shows from Channels 4 and 5 (and ITV as already mentioned).

I think that'd be very welcome to Americans as well... I'd guess Dr. Who, at the least, and probably Spooks, the UK Office, etc, would get some buyers over here if BBC licensed sales through iTunes USA.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Ah so you reckon the bbc and channel 4 will be releasing content, sweet I'd have thought they wouldn't since they already have their own download service. Some Derren Brown content from channel 4 would be nice. There's not much more you can ask for if the major players are all in, well except from the simpsons and family guy type of stuff but I guess the chances of seeing that isn't great.

Just thought, since sky one 'own' 24 and lost, does that mean what I think it means? :eek:

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Just thought, since sky one 'own' 24 and lost, does that mean what I think it means? :eek:

Lost is an ABC production (part of Disney) and was one of the initial five shows to debut on the US iTunes Store. Therefore I think it would be amongst the first shows on a UK Store (if we ever have one!)

24 is a Fox production and it's on the the US Store so I'd imagine that it would also be made available on a UK Store.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Yes but since sky one own the right's in the uk does that not mean that it is their decision whether to allow it or not. And wouldn't you have thought that the american store would have the simpsons on it?! I wonder why they don't.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes but since sky one own the right's in the uk does that not mean that it is their decision whether to allow it or not.

This is where everything is such a quagmire. Generally, I think the answer is no. Typically, Sky would only be purchasing the rights to *air* Lost. That's where it's a bad idea to use the word "own." The rights they purchase are actually very limited and are not that much like owning anything. Typically, in the US, when show rights are sold, they're sold with a time limited prevention of syndication -- that is, if a show is sold to NBC to air first-runs, no one else can be sold the re-runs for some two years or three years or whatever is negotiated.

But if you look at Lost in the US, the DVDs for even the latest season are already on sale by Buena Vista Entertainment, another wing of the Disney / ABC empire. Buena Vista already also sells the same DVDs in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Comple...0-1437466?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1182720411&sr=8-1

Suggesting that Disney retained rights to non-television use of the materials in their deal with Sky....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.