Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 8, 2003, 09:00 PM   #1
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
Half a watt chip?

I was watching a shopping channel on tv the other day. I don't remember the name of it but it'd the one based in Nashville. The were seliing a Northgate Centrino laptop and the man on tv said that the chips took in half a watt. I was thinking wtf the centrino takes half a watt? But then again he said that the p4 takes in 45 watts, maybe he said it took half the watts?

Please correct me im confused?
applemacdude is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2003, 09:20 PM   #2
FredAkbar
macrumors 6502a

I did a search for "centrino watts" on Intel's site, and found this page, which includes:

Low-Voltage and Ultra-Low-Voltage Mobile Processors: Intel mobile processors with battery-optimized performance modes that drive average power usage as low as .5 watts.

So I guess you heard right.

--Fred
FredAkbar is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2003, 09:46 PM   #3
cgc
macrumors 6502a

I am not sure if these are the same, but when we talk about the G4 operating at something in the vicinity of 20W, is this power CONSUMPTION or power DISSIPATION?
cgc is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2003, 10:45 PM   #4
donigian
macrumors regular

Just because the Centrino can draw power as low as .5W doesn't mean it can perform reasonably well at that power level or that it can be sustained significantly. Reminds me of all those auctions on eBay purporting 2000 Watt speaker systems, the maximum/peak is 2000W, the sustainable, measurable, believable wattage is more like 25-50 Watts.
donigian is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2003, 11:11 PM   #5
illumin8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by FredAkbar
I did a search for "centrino watts" on Intel's site, and found this page, which includes:

Low-Voltage and Ultra-Low-Voltage Mobile Processors: Intel mobile processors with battery-optimized performance modes that drive average power usage as low as .5 watts.
That is probably with the computer idling, not doing any processing, not even moving the mouse cursor...

Hell, with the way computer makers fake their numbers these days, it could be with the computer in sleep mode...
illumin8 is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2003, 08:13 AM   #6
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally posted by illumin8
That is probably with the computer idling, not doing any processing, not even moving the mouse cursor...

Hell, with the way computer makers fake their numbers these days, it could be with the computer in sleep mode...
Reread the quote. It says "as low as 0.5 watts." I read this as minimum of 0.5 watts. At 0.5 watts power consumption, the Centrino is not asleep, it is in a coma.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:50 AM   #7
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterMe
Reread the quote. It says "as low as 0.5 watts." I read this as minimum of 0.5 watts. At 0.5 watts power consumption, the Centrino is not asleep, it is in a coma.
Or turned off.

P-Worm
P-Worm is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:03 AM   #8
Tommy!
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by P-Worm
Or turned off.

P-Worm
bwa hahahah. its funny, centrino brags "i can get 6 hrs of battery life and wireless internet!"

"uhhh.... sounds like my 4-year-old ibook......."
Old Jul 9, 2003, 07:06 PM   #9
acj
macrumors 6502

see the light

Quote:
Originally posted by cgc
I am not sure if these are the same, but when we talk about the G4 operating at something in the vicinity of 20W, is this power CONSUMPTION or power DISSIPATION?
They are the same unless the G4 consumes and destoys energy, or perhaps converts it into motion or light.
acj is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2003, 07:07 PM   #10
acj
macrumors 6502

speed

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy!
bwa hahahah. its funny, centrino brags "i can get 6 hrs of battery life and wireless internet!"

"uhhh.... sounds like my 4-year-old ibook......."
Centrinos are pretty fast, though.
acj is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2003, 07:34 PM   #11
GulGnu
macrumors regular

...and IBM especially has been squeezing out some pretty impressive *actual* battery time laptops using them. Nice tech, overall. Still lub my iBook though =P
Old Jul 9, 2003, 07:36 PM   #12
ddtlm
macrumors 65816

Joking aside, the Centrino really is an energy efficient processor.

acj:

Quote:
They are the same unless the G4 consumes and destoys energy, or perhaps converts it into motion or light.
Or electric/magnetic fields.
ddtlm is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers