Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
My only point of reference is the G3 imacs, which are great jukeboxes.
Are the G5s as loud?
How about clarity?
Do I have to have a surface below it so it "bounces up"?

Thanks

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I don't remember my iMac G3 speakers at all...only had the computer for alittle, but I'd guess the the iMac G5 is more clear, and louder. I used them as my main speakers for a while, and they were fine. I later got a Mac Mini, bought 100 dollar speakers, which so far, have been alot louder, more clear and better base.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Do you think they were loud enough to fill a room for a small party? I am thinking about mounting it on the wall behind my bar:D

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Do you think they were loud enough to fill a room for a small party? I am thinking about mounting it on the wall behind my bar:D

that is an awesome idea, but you may want to get some external speakers. with a lot of people talking the speakers may not be loud enough. i know bose makes some nice 100 dollar external speakers that would work great

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I love my iMac G5, it's a wonderful machine. Too bad the internal iSight died when I got it back after getting the internal HD replaced, since it died.:( Anyway, the speakers are definitely louder than those of my MacBook Pro, but not loud enough to fill a small room. I'd suggest getting some external speakers.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
I am trying to set up I nice little area. I see myself playing some Frank, or Artie Shaw, while making martini's. If I want to blast the arctic monkeys I would just use the den.:) I just want to have the music fill the room.

Do you think it is capable of that stock? I just want it to look as simple as possible.

I am trading a G4 powerbook like the one in my sig for a 17" imac and some cash. I don't need more than one laptop. I am going to Nashville this weekend to make the trade. I cant wait! I have never had a G5:D

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I like the speakers on my G5 iMac well enough - I'm not a huge audiophile, but they definitely don't have an enormous range on them. Bass booster also tends to produce a little fuzzing out on low notes - but for olde tyme music that isn't so compressed and digitized as contemporary stuff, they should work well enough. For what you're describing, iTunes at full volume and the system volume at full would maybe fill a 8x8 room and start to be drowned out by more than a few people talking. I run everything through a real stereo with the iMac as "rear" speakers for parties - Airport Express handles this nicely.

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007

Nope, iMac speakers are certainly not man enough for the job, you'll want to get yourself some externals.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Well the jury is pretty split on this. The area I am working with is semi open on two sides with a pergo floor. I am hoping that the pergo will provide some good resonance.

I love getting a new computer. I have spent all morning looking at vesa mounts!

Any other input on this project is welcome!:)

MonkeyClaw

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Asheville, NC
I say pick up a pair of JBL creatures. I bought mine over a year ago and they are seriously the best pair of speakers I have owned (considering the price I paid for them). They will look good with the computer (providing you get the white) and they will be perfect for a party environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.