Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jun 20, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
vishwa
macrumors newbie

NFS - operation not permitted

Guys,
I tried to mount an NFS on to my Mac Tiger OS X (10.4.9) by using "sudo mount -t nfs /path_to_NFS ./directory_in_my_home" and the resultant terminal response is "mount_nfs: /Users/vishwa: Operation not permitted"
I have already tested this on a linux desktop and it works fine without any problems. Also tried changing target directories on my Mac, but ended up with the same result.
Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
vishwa
vishwa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:12 AM   #2
hacksawSA
macrumors newbie

We must be insecure together!

So, I was having the same problem.

It turns out the the Darwin default is to assume the nfs'ing will take place on an "insecure" port, i.e. >1024.

The suggested solution is to add "insecure" to the export options.

For instance, I have

/usr3 192.168.4/24(rw,insecure)

In the /etc/exports file.

Good luck.
hacksawSA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:34 AM   #3
dimitri001
macrumors newbie

works

Looking at the exports man page on my Linux box, you will always need this option to export NFS shares for OSX.

Thanks.
dimitri001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:57 PM   #4
yetanotheruser
macrumors newbie

NFS - operation not permitted, another solution

This thread is quite old, but I recently experienced the same problem with OS X 10.4.11 while trying to mount a NFS share on my DNS-323.

My solution was to mount with "-P" to force the use of a reserved port number, as described in mount_nfs(8) page. The command was

$> sudo mount_nfs -P <host>:<remote shared dir> <local mount point>

This solution probably addresses the secure/insecure port issue mentioned by hacksawSA, but I don't know enough to confirm that. It's also slightly less intrusive in that you don't have to modify /etc/exports.

-Ken
yetanotheruser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:16 PM   #5
ulbador
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotheruser View Post
This thread is quite old, but I recently experienced the same problem with OS X 10.4.11 while trying to mount a NFS share on my DNS-323.

My solution was to mount with "-P" to force the use of a reserved port number, as described in mount_nfs(8) page. The command was

$> sudo mount_nfs -P <host>:<remote shared dir> <local mount point>

This solution probably addresses the secure/insecure port issue mentioned by hacksawSA, but I don't know enough to confirm that. It's also slightly less intrusive in that you don't have to modify /etc/exports.

-Ken
Direct from the man page:

This command is expected to be executed by the mount(8) command. Direct use of mount_nfs to mount NFS file systems is strongly discouraged because there is little practical benefit of using it
instead of mount(8).
ulbador is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:13 PM   #6
fishtoprecords
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulbador View Post
Direct use of mount_nfs to mount NFS file systems is strongly discouraged because there is little practical benefit of using it
instead of mount(8).
Which is cool, except that the mount(8) command does not have the -P switch.
Since I need the -P switch, now what?

Thanks
fishtoprecords is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Red Menace
macrumors 6502

Now you read the manual pages - pay attention to the resvport option.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming