Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
nukiduz
macrumors 6502

How to create a partition without losing any data?

Hi there. I want to try another version of Mac OS X in my mac and I want to install it in an external drive. This drive is storing a lot of data and I need to create a new partition just for the OS while keeping my files there and my Tiger installation in the internal drive.

I tried disk utility but it seems that you have to erase all the data in the drive to create a new partition. Is there any freeware that could do this? Thanks.

Last edited by nukiduz; Jun 21, 2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: bad spelling
nukiduz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:25 PM   #2
tsvb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukiduz View Post
Hi there. I want to try another version of Mac OS X in my mac and I want to install it in an external drive. This drive is storing a lot of data and I need to create a new partition just for the OS while keeping my files there and my Tiger installation in the internal drive.

I tried disk utility but it seems that you have to erase all the data in the drive to create a new partition. Is there any freeware that could do this? Thanks.

try iPartition http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23828

edit: oh ....freeware..
tsvb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X