Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I have a new SR MBP 2.2 ghz and I am 100% it has waked up on its own from sleep.

That didn't drive me over the edge, I just began to shut down, boot times are so fast on this thing it didn't kill me.

Now my computer somehow will startup on its freaking own.

This is a huge concern for me because I do want to be carrying it in my bag and have it randomly wake up or startup and waste battery power or overheat.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Make sure the option "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake computer" in the Bluetooth preferences is unchecked, and also if you're putting it to sleep/shutting down make sure it is all the way shut down/in sleep mode before closing the lid. Closing the lid mid process can interrupt it and cause it to stay turned on.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I have not been closing my display for the fear it will turn on while the display is closed.

I turn my bluetooth devices off to prevent this, but I will uncheck that option as well.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Ya, well it would be a nice hour trip one way then watching the computer as it RANDOMLY wakes up, lol.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Wait, randomly waking from sleep is one thing, but are you saying it's been randomly booting up? You'll have it completely shut down, and it'll just boot from nothing? :)

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I will SHUTDOWN using the ctrl + eject short cut and CLICK on SHUTDOWN. I will either wake up in the morning with it on or the initial noise of the hard drive and the bright light will wake me up.

So yes, it will boot by itself from SHUTDOWN.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, a couple of things to do before taking it back to Apple. Firstly, check the Schedule settings in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences. Secondly, reset the SMC. I don't know if either of these will help, but it's a good place to start. :)

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Well I do not know because I just did it. Give me some time, lol.

On a side note, these batteries are huge compared to the iBook ones.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
this does appear to have solved the problem. I woke up this morning with my computer stuff off. WOOT WOOT

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
this does appear to have solved the problem. I woke up this morning with my computer stuff off. WOOT WOOT

Is everything still OK? I just had a problem with my MBP starting up with the display closed. All I did was plug in the power cord and it began to boot. Someone suggested doing an SMC reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.