Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Macbook power adapter cord was chewed on by one of my dogs (just a small bite) and now no longer working. Anyone know if this can be fixed? Do I just need to get whatever wires are no longer touching back together or is it done for?

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Just get a new power adapter. It's not worth the hazard to try to repair it.

lighane

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2007
Unfortunately, looks like you'll have to get a new adapter. The other posters are right, it really isn't worth the chance that it will overload your MacBook.

Inquiring minds want to know...after chewing on your power cord, does your dog still work? ;)

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Macbook power adapter cord was chewed on by one of my dogs (just a small bite) and now no longer working. Anyone know if this can be fixed? Do I just need to get whatever wires are no longer touching back together or is it done for?

Fixing power cords used to be something that a person 'just did'. I can remember repairing numerous cables and never having a problem with them. These days however, considering the fact that replacement costs are quite low, it really is much safer if you buy a new one.

Sopranino

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Oh, it's the adapter that isn't working, not the dog.

Like the others, I would have say it's safer to get a new adapter.

hessdesigns

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
Where's the best place to get a replacement for the "Mag Safe Power Adapter"? Apple has 'em for $80! Is there anywhere cheaper?

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
unfortunately with magsafe, there are no 3rd party adapters. your best bet is with amazon.com with free shipping or powermax, where there's no tax.

JNB

macrumors 604
Repair is actually quite simple, if unbelievably ugly, and uncommonly annoying. Then again, my eyes ain't what they used to be. I could run to the Apple Store/Fry's and get a new one in the time it took to repair the cable nicely. It's really not worth the effort. I'd suggest biting the bullet on this one.

hessdesigns

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply... Looks like both Amazon and PowerMax are $80, and I have an Apple Store nearby, so I'll just head over there.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
What was damaged? If it is in the middle of the wire, repair is easy and perfectly safe if you are careful. Not sure what the first couple replies are on about, maybe they assume a bad job. If you are good with soldering iron and heatshrink, you could almost make the fix invisible, too, wouldn't have to be ugly.

My wife just had this happen, but it was so close to the brick I didn't have enough wire left to do a good job. She bought a new one today.

mainomega

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
At first I thought why not just get a replacement cord... but then i realized you were talking about the part that doesn't attach/detach from the power brick. I would hit ebay, or the genius bar, maybe they'll have a refurb/return/display/something unit

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I personally would try to fix it, to save on the cost of a new adapter, and not waste a working one. Repairing cords really isn't too difficult, but you should know what you're doing.

As someone said above, a little heatshrink would do the trick nicely. It'd just be a case of cut, strip, match and connect the wires. Just be careful, don't want to be shorting and starting fires!

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
After getting a new one, crack open the old one for the sake of science, i am curious about how it's put together without screws (i believe it's some kind of clips) :D

romindstorm

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
SOLUTION! Flex cable Fixed!

Peopleeeeeeeeeee!!! I just got it! In despite mega brands engineering and trickering, I just fixed my macbook f@#$$@# flex cord!
As I'm a girl, you can't expect much of imagination fixing a cable right? :p

well... here are some tips for everybody:

Even when One1 explanations are really nice, there are some little details probably missing due his nite method, which I will love to try, but.... what about the ones we don't have a solder?

Well here it is:

It's very important to know that this cable works pretty much as a coaxial cable ( like the ones that goes on the tv from you cable company). This means that there a - and a + component, in two different layers of the cable. So we have to peel off 2 layers.

1. You will want to do a clean cut to the cable first.

2. Gently cut the outer cable, which is the first barrier to the silver threads you will find. This cut should be at least 1 inch away from the first clean cut, so you will have a clean access to the inner silver threads.

3. Undo the twisted silver threads on both sides of the cable. Later on we will twist those gray threads with the ones on the other side of the cable.

Now: Notice that there's another light gray cable shield, which holds the + threads. Don't panic.

4.Cut very, very gently this second skin to reveal the inner threads.
( See pic 1)

5.Un-twist them, as seen on the picture.

IMPORTANT:

When you cut the cable on that first clean cut, you will notice that the internal part, underneath the inner hard shield looks like copper. But once you reveal those threads, they are silver! so the copper part is inside... Don't get nuts!!!

6. Just scratch those threads.. very gently, with a scalp or with whatever you used to cut the cable in first place.
( See pic 2)

After a while you are scratching the damns, you will notice that the silver is fading away and the real copper is showing off. That's is what we want. Otherwise, if you put together just the silvers of the inner layer, it wont transmit any power, so the entire work will be a waste of time.
Just keep scratching until those threads looks like copper threads. (this might take a while basically because these are very fragile threads, and you don't want to use to much force scratching, or they will cut off. So set some music and be patient!!! keep scratching..)

7. Ok.You must do this on both sides of the cable.

8. Once the copper is on sight on both sides, twist them together very gently, so the power can go through.

(See pic 3)

9. Now twist the first layer of silver threads you've found (this is the -).

So the entire work will look like on Pic 4.

10. Plug the adapter to the outlet, and.. VOILA!

To finish the task, put some outer cable, or tape (for electrical matters) over the unions.

I've notice that my battery takes a little bit longer to charge. But that's it.
I can leave my mac longer to charge, It doesn't matter. As long I don't have to Buy a new adapter, which here costs usd 200 !!!

I hope this helps and please be more careful about the cable from now on!
- I'll keep my rabbit 300 miles away!

At the end... my pic.. tired but successful!

Let me know how this works for you !

Love to everyone!!!
:apple:

Attachments

• Magsafe 1.jpg
    Magsafe 1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,852
  • Magsafe 2.jpg
    Magsafe 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,816
  • Megasafe 3.jpg
    Megasafe 3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Megasafe 4.jpg
    Megasafe 4.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,259

bajojohn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
Definately Fixable

I know this is a late post, but if you are looking for info like I was it is possible to fix the power cord. I was using my macbook and suddenly the green power light went out. I had noticed before I could see the wire going to the connector but just twisted it back up to cover it. Turns out, after some investigation, that was the trouble spot. When I twisted the outer shielding back I noticed the ground wire was completely broken off right at the plug. I immediately ordered a new power cable, but that won't be in for at least a week. After some thought, I cut the sleeve back to reveal a small lip where I was able to solder the wire back. I couldn't find any electrical tape so I used a hot glue gun to insulate everything and make it rigid. It's not ideal, but it will work for a week as long as I don't move it around a lot. So charge at desk and use the battery.

For those thinking they will blow up their laptop, that won't happen. Worst case scenario is you mess up the power brick by shorting it out. Fixing cables is usually ugly unless you have the right tools and take the time, but for the ten minutes it takes to fix it, at least temporarily in my case, is definitely worth it.

Attachments

• Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 819

bakerster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
ive had two of my cords bitten by a rabbit and dog. i've tried repairing them but i thought they were shielded and what not and I couldn't get them to fix. pony'd up the 70 bucks and got new ones.

both the animals got a beat down.

Verbatim

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2010
Thank you!

Thank you romindstorm, for the detailed descriptions and the pictures. I couldn't find this information anywhere else on the net, and would never have figured out on my own to scrape the inner metal strands until they turned copper.

My bunny chewed the Magsafe wire. I tried to fix it first without scraping the inner wires—no luck. Then I found your instructions, took it apart and scraped the wires, breaking some in the process. The wires looked only a little coppery. Plugged it in and tried it—it didn't work. Scraped a little more, with a butter knife—not sharp. Taped it all up again. It works!

You're a hero!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.