Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Yeah...as long as it works out.

I don't think a 16 year old really realizes the implications of what she's just gone and done though. Time will tell.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Her parents think she threw her life away. It's hard to say - maybe she did, maybe she'll get divorced in a year and move on, maybe she'll have a great career anyway. I suppose it's not proper to ponder what sort of job someone named Windy would be good at....

I think 16 is too young, and I think her parents shouldn't have signed the consent form. That said, though, these sorts of marriages have been going on forever. Some work, some don't. It's hard to tell from one article written from the parents' point of view whether or not it should have happened. But it seems a bit creepy. Not the age so much... just the coach/student thing.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3305652

Strangely, my first thought was, who names their kid Windy

When I was a kid, a friend of the family had two daughters named Windy and Breezy. (They were a few years younger than I, Breezy younger than Windy.) I had completely forgotten about them until now, I wonder what ever happened to them... I wonder what the mother would have named a third? Puffy?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
When I was a kid, a friend of the family had two daughters named Windy and Breezy. (They were a few years younger than I, Breezy younger than Windy.) I had completely forgotten about them until now, I wonder what ever happened to them... I wonder what the mother would have named a third? Puffy?

She'll just look through the Thesaurus for WIND every time she has a new child until she gets to.... flatulance :eek: :p

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Not the age so much... just the coach/student thing.

Agreed Coach/Student bond should be turned into this. I'm not sure how much I trust a 16 year old to make a choice like that...but if her panrets did(which they showed by sign the form) then I can't judge.

If they felt like that had to sign the form to get their daughter to talk to them, I think that would be foolish, and they'd need to try and "weather the storm"

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well the parents signed the forms, so what else is to be said?

i hope the couple end up happily together for a long, long time.

about the parents though. if they didn't think this was right, why did they give in? that i just don't understand. learn how to talk to your kid and raise them.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
when shes 36 he'll be 66yo, now that is something to look forward to!! she'll be in her sexual prime and he'll be in a wheelchair. lol jk

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
when shes 36 he'll be 66yo, now that is something to look forward to!! she'll be in her sexual prime and he'll be in a wheelchair. lol jk

he'll actually be 60 when she is 36. :)

He was born during the vietnam war and she was born during desert storm.

The problem I see with this is... what does a 40 year old man see in a 16 year old girl? Some older men want a young girl because the relationship makes them feel powerful. Other older men are really immature and feel more comfortable around girls that are immature too. Others are just looking for a hot girl to sleep with and a young trophy wife. None of these options seem really advantageous to the girl. Of course there are other options too but those are definitely some of the most common options. I do wish them the best and hope they have a long loving marriage.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Strangely, my first thought was, who names their kid Windy
This guy's mum and dad did... ;)

trmptn.jpg

Hopeful they'll be happy together, but it's one of those situations that you can't help but think will end in tears.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
As a parent I would never sign the consent form...

My initial reaction: If the coach/teacher was truly in love with Windy, why the hell didn't he sit back and wait until Graduation and then approach her as an adult? If he really loved her why didn't he hold off on marriage until she finished college? She's ***** 16!

Then I watched the video, the parents come across as the typical non-confrontational parents, who don't want to have the argument with their kids and who always want to be the good guys. Know what? Being a parent sometimes means being the bad guys, grounding your kids, dealing with them not talking to you for a month (enjoy the silence) because they "hate you". When are parents going to once again start realizing that it is not their job to be their kids friends?

And then there was the school representative saying how the school officials can't regulate all hours of the day and that this relationship obviously formed outside of school hours. Regardless of that fact he is still an authority figure at that school seducing someone he is supposed to be in charge of, and a minor at that. Corporations have a huge number of legal issues when bosses date employees and firings/lawsuits often result from such relationships regardless of whether or not the romance takes place outside of the office. This guy should have been fired suspended as soon as Windy came home with the consent form. The parents should have taken that to the school board immediately.

All that being said I would put large sums of money down on the divorce, but I hope that I am wrong and that they have a long and happy life together.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
here in scotland your an adult at 16, you may marry but not drink at your wedding till your 18. I find it strange she wants to marry a 40 year old, and since men start to die 50+ and sometimes depending on diet very quickly at that, i wonder if he has money for her to inherit in 10-20 years time.

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
atszyman, i totally agree with you...he could have waited 2 years (until she can make her own decision w/o parental conent) if it really was "true love".

the worrying part:
They also discovered worrying e-mails. In one, Windy wrote to a friend, "I don't care to look at anyone other than him. He is the apple of my eye, I've never felt this way for someone, but I just don't want to lose him because of my parents' power trips."

those are the words of a child...a typical 16 year old in "love".

i've been in her shoes (although not with a man twice my age) but my parents were responsible and did the right thing..and i thank them for that. the parents in this case have themselves to blame, as far as i'm concerned.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
There's a 10 year age gap between my grandparents and my girlfriends parents. They're all happy with their respected partners. But at such an age gap? And with him (previously?) in a role of responsibility for her? I'm not keen, but it's not for me to judge.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
*cough* Pedophile *cough*

Sorry to throw a wet towel on the love and support the happy couple is getting, but seriously, he started taking an interest in her when he was 38 and she was 14. How is that appropriate in any context?

sorry to be an anal-retentive-word-smith, but a pedophile is one who is primarily attracted to *pre-pubescent* children, and the 40-year-old man is actually a hebephile, a person who is attracted to *adolescent* children.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
*cough* Pedophile *cough*

Sorry to throw a wet towel on the love and support the happy couple is getting, but seriously, he started taking an interest in her when he was 38 and she was 14. How is that appropriate in any context?

I can not help but think the same thing FoxyKaye. :eek: :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I do agree that the parents should not have given into the pressure to sign the consent form. The coach is really to blame for any relationship damage with the parents and their daughter. He should have backed down because she was still under the headship of her father (being under 18). I also agree that he should have waited until she was 18 to marry her. The he would have been respectful to the parents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.