Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2003, 08:21 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Microsoft has hired top scientists in its quest for search a...

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft has hired top scientists in its quest for search algorithms that will allow it to compete directly with Google.
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2003, 09:04 AM   #2
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
first of all, I'm not sure I want to use anything with "bot" in the name after being in the #macrumors IRC channel for a while.

second of all - if they want to have a search engine as powerful as google, why not just buy google? seems to me that M$ has enough money to buy them, and it would take less time and effort than developing their own.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 09:30 AM   #3
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
There is actually a huge interest in this, data mining and other assorted search algorithms.

If MS is looking to make their own they probably think that google is not as good as what they can come up with and that starting from scratch instead in updating or modifying the existing stuff is the way to go.

D
Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:18 AM   #4
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

I'm not using Microsoft Crap

Google is what is right about computers. Non Bloat..works most of the time and simple. Microshaft will just screw up somehow. They're getting good at it

Watching Microsoft lose is fun.
nuckinfutz is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:24 AM   #5
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Re: I'm not using Microsoft Crap

Quote:
Originally posted by nuckinfutz
Google is what is right about computers.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not disagreeing here - I was just speculating on their motives. Google is great and I use it everyday.

That doesn't mean MS can't try to make it better. Its just keeping some people employed And being on a mac, I don't think I'd be using it anyway.

D
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:03 AM   #6
MacManDan
macrumors 6502

Google is a great service. Fast and efficient and everything. Maybe if MS doesn't screw this up and actually produces a product that competes with Google, they will somehow offer something better or try to improve their own service even more (if its possible).

Sometimes competition can be a good thing for us consumers
MacManDan is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:25 PM   #7
MacFan25
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by MacManDan

Sometimes competition can be a good thing for us consumers
That's true, but I am perfectly happy with how Google works now.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:48 PM   #8
jbomber
macrumors 6502a

ugh. i hate how M$ just throws money at problems and ends up with these disgusting bloated 'solutions'.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion