Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:23 PM   #1
bowlman23
macrumors regular

Can you get the student discount at the Apple Retail Store?

I was just wondering if you can still get the student discount if you go to the retail store?
bowlman23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2
hanschien
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlman23 View Post
I was just wondering if you can still get the student discount if you go to the retail store?
You definately can. Just bring your student ID and a photo ID.
hanschien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:31 PM   #3
bowlman23
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschien View Post
You definately can. Just bring your student ID and a photo ID.
Well, here's my thought process. I am not in school right now, but my fiance is just starting grad school. I thought I would give her the money to buy it for me since it will be cheaper and I can get the applecare cheaper also. Would it work?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:34 PM   #4
benlee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well, here's my thought process. I am not in school right now, but my fiance is just starting grad school. I thought I would give her the money to buy it for me since it will be cheaper and I can get the applecare cheaper also. Would it work?

yes. shouldnt be a problem. just let here use it once in a while on principle alone. dont want to take advantage of the student discount.
benlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:37 PM   #5
bowlman23
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
yes. shouldnt be a problem. just let here use it once in a while on principle alone. dont want to take advantage of the student discount.
I actually think she doesn't want to use it at all. She's a PC user. I'll try to get her to switch eventually after she sees how nice it is. If I had to ever send it to service, it would have to be in her name though, right?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:38 PM   #6
iDive
macrumors member

But make sure she doesn't want a computer for her soon. Educational discounts are limited to one per year (they keep your name and know when you bought). Here is the text from Apple's education store:

Purchase Quantity
Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

1. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
2. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
3. Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
4. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
5. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
6. Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
7. iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year
iDive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:17 AM   #7
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Why not sign up for a PE class at your local community college, and then use the EDU discount? I think that way your girlfriend can keep her EDU discount and you can get 10% off of your computer (and a free iPod if you act before early September).
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:31 AM   #8
caffeeneaddict
macrumors regular

Depending on the cashiers at the apple store, you don't have to be in college or a teacher to receive the discount. I used my brother's acceptance letter and his ID and it got me a MBP and a video w/ the student discount.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:34 AM   #9
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeeneaddict View Post
Depending on the cashiers at the apple store, you don't have to be in college or a teacher to receive the discount. I used my brother's acceptance letter and his ID and it got me a MBP and a video w/ the student discount.
This is true. I only showed my letter, and I didn't even have to show my school ID. Although I did use my credit card, so I guess that's a second form of identity confirmation...but the OP said he would give his girlfriend money afterward, so I guess that won't matter to him.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:12 AM   #10
benlee
macrumors 65816

as far as going in for service. does it matter. you are going to marry this girl right. have her go with you. it belongs to both of you. Im sure if you had to get it serviced and she couldn't be there it wouldn't be a problem. the service is through the serial number i believe.
benlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:29 AM   #11
bowlman23
macrumors regular

I mean, if I ever had to send it out to service, our closest store is an hour away. So she might not always be with me.

I don't see why she couldn't buy the laptop on her student discount and give it to me as a "present". I know it sounds like I'm being cheap, but it's a $300 discount with the $200 off the laptop and $100 off the Applecare.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 01:04 PM   #12
heySparky
macrumors regular

Quote:
I mean, if I ever had to send it out to service, our closest store is an hour away. So she might not always be with me.
If that is the case, you just tell them you are doing her a favor and bringing it in for her.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 01:31 PM   #13
techmonkey
macrumors 6502a

I'm confused about the Apple EDU store. I was never asked for verification that I was a student, in fact, I'm not even a student. My wife is a student at the local university, which I was going to use her information whenever Apple asked for it.

Does this mean anybody can order from the EDU store? Maybe its sorta like Dells Small Business, they never confirm you are a business, but its a good way to get something cheaper.
techmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:29 PM   #14
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
I don't see why she couldn't buy the laptop on her student discount and give it to me as a "present". I know it sounds like I'm being cheap, but it's a $300 discount with the $200 off the laptop and $100 off the Applecare.
If you buy before the iPod sale ends, you get that too. Even if you don't want it, it can be sold for a reasonable return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmonkey View Post
I'm confused about the Apple EDU store. I was never asked for verification that I was a student, in fact, I'm not even a student. My wife is a student at the local university, which I was going to use her information whenever Apple asked for it.

Does this mean anybody can order from the EDU store? Maybe its sorta like Dells Small Business, they never confirm you are a business, but its a good way to get something cheaper.
I believe that if you order online, the checks are random. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to choose a school before you can enter the EDU store? Seems to me that it would be quite easy for Apple to check whether or not you are a student.

As for Dell, I question whether or not the small business store is any better. Dell will change the models ever so slightly, making it very hard to price compare with the regular store. That's one of the things I like about Apple; it's a very simple line-up.

Last edited by WildCowboy; Jun 23, 2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: post merge...please use multi-quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:36 PM   #15
x Shadow Dragon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBoy View Post
If you buy before the iPod sale ends, you get that too. Even if you don't want it, it can be sold for a reasonable return.
or u could give it to ur gf for the 300$ discount plus it is hers.

btw- i go to a damn private school (8th grade) and we dont get student id's or report cards, could i bring in like the student directory and show them even if their are no pictures? any other ideas?
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:59 PM   #16
iW00t
Banned

A better idea

Enjoy the same perks:
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...re?qprm=147979
iW00t is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 05:03 PM   #17
geoffy
macrumors regular

Just a note that I was denied a student discount on a fully loaded MacBook (w/ 2 GB of ram and 160 HD) at a Apple Store for no reason in particular. The website does offers this discount on a similar custom order, but the store wouldn't offer a discount on "the ultimate" model only on the regular ones.
geoffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 05:04 PM   #18
janey
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffy View Post
Just a note that I was denied a student discount on a fully loaded MacBook (w/ 2 GB of ram and 160 HD) at a Apple Store for no reason in particular. The website does offers this discount on a similar custom order, but the store wouldn't offer a discount on "the ultimate" model only on the regular ones.
do you know why? i can't possibly think of a reason why they'd deny it, makes no sense.

janey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 05:10 PM   #19
geoffy
macrumors regular

There was no reason, which was my main complaint. I even followed up with several e-mails. This is what they wrote me back:

"Sorry for the inconvenience but the computer you have purchased doesn't have a student discount attached to it in-store. My apologies."

I thought there was an error in the system since this was a new model. Does anyone know how much the discount normally is? Maybe I will take it up with Apple directly.
geoffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 06:57 PM   #20
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Shadow Dragon View Post
btw- i go to a damn private school (8th grade) and we dont get student id's or report cards, could i bring in like the student directory and show them even if their are no pictures? any other ideas?
You have to be a college student or someone who works in education to qualify(in the US), so that doesn't matter.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:06 PM   #21
mikehokie
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to mikehokie
Quote:
Originally Posted by janey View Post
do you know why? i can't possibly think of a reason why they'd deny it, makes no sense.
Probably because he was a high school student or a grad student. I think they only accept college students who are not grad students getting an MBA or PHD.

iPod nano 4GB
mikehokie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:09 PM   #22
janey
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehokie View Post
Probably because he was a high school student or a grad student. I think they only accept college students who are not grad students getting an MBA or PHD.
i know that, but what that particular poster said was that the edu discount was only on the not-high-end MBPs - they would explicitly tell him he didn't qualify if he was k-12 or grad school (which I think still qualifies).

Doesn't make too much sense.

janey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:11 PM   #23
mikehokie
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to mikehokie
Quote:
Originally Posted by janey View Post
i know that, but what that particular poster said was that the edu discount was only on the not-high-end MBPs - they would explicitly tell him he didn't qualify if he was k-12 or grad school (which I think still qualifies).

Doesn't make too much sense.
That's really stupid and weird...

Just order it online the EDU discount will apply there

iPod nano 4GB
mikehokie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:31 PM   #24
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehokie View Post
I did a little search for schools on the EDU webpage, and there were several law schools and medical schools listed there. It seems to me that Apple picks and chooses which schools it wants to work with for graduate school.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:15 PM   #25
bowlman23
macrumors regular

According to their Education FAQs, they have to accept anyone who is currently enrolled in K-12, or pursuing Higher Education.

http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/faq.html

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro