Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene

Old Jul 10, 2003, 08:54 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

The iPod cult... join us. UK writer notes that the iPod phe...

Category: Opinion and Speculation
Link: The iPod cult... join us. UK writer notes that the iPod phenomenon is spreading... including celebs such as Posh (Spice Girl) and David Beckham.
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:43 AM   #2
James.Paul
macrumors regular

Becks has got an iPod

Love him or Loathe him this is the sort of publicity Apple needs, David Beckham using an iPod. If his hairs anything to go by, hundreds of thousands of school kids will be turning up at school tomorrow with iPods.

This is the story that appeared in The Sun newspaper today.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5...11889,,00.html

What is funny is that the article makes out that the device must be simple as David and Victoria can use one!!!!

Last edited by James.Paul; Jul 10, 2003 at 02:49 PM.
James.Paul is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Foxer
macrumors 65816

Being married to Posh Beckham, I assume he has her entire solo catalogue installed.

"I'll buy almost anything if it is shiny and made by Apple."
Foxer is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:20 PM   #4
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Re: Becks has got an iPod

Quote:
Originally posted by James.Paul
Love him or Loathe him this is the sort of publicity Apple needs, David Beckham using an iPod. If his hairs anything to go by, hundreds of thousands of school kids will be turning up at school tomorrow with iPods.

What is funny is that the article makes out that the device must be simple as David and Victoria can use one!!!!
The publicity is priceless. I am truly amazed that even with such a low key and somewhat boring ad campaign that the iPod has taken off like it has. The cross platform compatability has a lot to do with it but I have read so many magazine articles from around the world praising it so highly that I guess Apple really have no need to spend too much money promoting it.
Ugg is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:14 AM   #5
Sayhey
macrumors 68000

I'm usally very leery of cults, but I've been saving my pennies to join this one. Funny, the Beckhams have nothing to do with my reasoning on this. Must be the experience of having to take my teenage daughter to "Spice World." But if the iPod is now the cool thing to have then perhaps there is hope for middle-aged dads after all. Nah!
Sayhey is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:23 AM   #6
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
yay! i'm in another cult!
i love my iPod. i don't know how i could live without it. im dependent on my iPod

(fyi...the first cult is apple. lol)
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:44 PM   #7
jbomber
macrumors 6502a

anyone living in new york can attest to the size of this cult.

get on any train in the city and there are dozens of people with telltale white headphones- glances are exchanged, a wink here, a nod there....

Long live the cult.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 09:40 AM   #8
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
Quote:
Originally posted by jbomber
anyone living in new york can attest to the size of this cult.

get on any train in the city and there are dozens of people with telltale white headphones- glances are exchanged, a wink here, a nod there....

Long live the cult.
Yeah, same here, on the tube in London, you get a lot of them, people always smile at you whe they recognise those phones

The Cult of iPod is a global phenomenon, like many Apple products people really love the little beasts, you feel very elite using Apple stuff anyway, but the iPod is so public, I'd never use my PBook on a train, not in South London, that's asking for trouble.

I wonder how long before the iPod muggings start, like the Rolex gang in kensington?
WinterMute is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:36 AM   #9
caveman_uk

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterMute
I'd never use my PBook on a train, not in South London, that's asking for trouble.

I wonder how long before the iPod muggings start, like the Rolex gang in kensington?
I use my ibook on the WAGN trains out of kings cross but I would never use it on a tube. I want to keep it Actually if you use platform 11 at kings cross there's a completely open wireless network nearby. Handy if the trains late leaving

I wonder how many of these ipods are used with macs vs. PCs. I guess in the UK most are used with PCs?
caveman_uk is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:49 PM   #10
jbomber
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by caveman_uk
I use my ibook on the WAGN trains out of kings cross but I would never use it on a tube. I want to keep it Actually if you use platform 11 at kings cross there's a completely open wireless network nearby. Handy if the trains late leaving.
Hahaha. i wore regular black headphones with my ipod for a really long time to throw people off while riding the train. I also want to keep it

I wonder how many of these ipods are used with macs vs. PCs. I guess in the UK most are used with PCs?

Hmmm... interesting question. I can only assume that in the US it's probably the same. I see way too many ipods on the train and on the street for them to all be mac users.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene