Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
I've done a lot of googling for this, but nothing seems to work.

I have an audio book in the form of a single .MP3 file, that I would like to convert to a format that iTunes will recognize as an audiobook, and not music.

I've tried converting to .m4b, but iTunes still accepts it as a song, and not an audiobook, not putting it into the audiobooks category.

Any tips?
NickD

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I've done a lot of googling for this, but nothing seems to work.

I have an audio book in the form of a single .MP3 file, that I would like to convert to a format that iTunes will recognize as an audiobook, and not music.

I've tried converting to .m4b, but iTunes still accepts it as a song, and not an audiobook, not putting it into the audiobooks category.

Any tips?
NickD

How did you convert the MP3 to .m4b? What did you use?

Here's what I've always done:

-Change importing format to AAC, adjust settings for an audiobook (32kbps, ...or whatever else you like).

-Find your file in iTunes, right-click, select "Convert to AAC".

-Once converted, delete the MP3 version. Right-click on your new AAC, and take "Show in finder".

-Drag it to the desktop. Once there, rename the extension from .m4a to .m4b.

-Drag it back into iTunes and it will get picked up as an Audiobook and go in the Audiobooks section. (*iTunes will still have an entry for your files when they were "songs". It will have a "!" next to it and if you click it will complain that the songs cannot be found. Just delete the entry from iTunes since now they're showing up in Audiobooks).

*There are some play issues I've heard of / encountered with one really long file (and / or a mono AAC), so be aware it may not play smoothly. In the future if you're ripping from CDs, it's better to join tracks on each disc but leave each disc as it's own "part" (ie: 10 discs would make a 10-part book).

That's what I do anyway. And I do that a lot.

ETA: Here's a script.

MattiasN

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden
Anyone who use Audiobookmaker and can recommend it? When I tried it and started a conversion from mp3 to aac I got the following message:

"To open mp3info you need to install Rosetta"

The window included a "Install now" button, but I did not install Rosetta since I'm unsure why it is required.

froggy1956

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
NSW, Australia
Anyone who use Audiobookmaker and can recommend it? When I tried it and started a conversion from mp3 to aac I got the following message:

"To open mp3info you need to install Rosetta"

The window included a "Install now" button, but I did not install Rosetta since I'm unsure why it is required.

I found this thread yesterday when I was looking for a way to convert some mp3 files to audiobook.

I used Audiobookmaker. No request to install Rosetta. I'm using a MacBook, running 10.5.8

I also tried the script from here and it also worked like a charm.

Both seem to be great pieces of software. Thanks!

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
everyone STOP
you don't have to use silly scripts or transcoders

what you do is

1. add the mp3 to your library like any other music file

2. right click on it and click 'Get Info'

3. under the options tab change 'Media Kind' from 'Music' to 'Audiobook'

it magically is now an audiobook

jonkun227

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
everyone STOP

what you do is

While this is very good information for those who weren't previously aware that this feature is available in iTunes, I think it's important to note that when this thread was started that wasn't an option. That's actually quite recent.

It also doesn't consolidate everything into a single chapterized file, which is why I came across this post after a search for the same.

I'm using Audiobookmaker from the link above as we speak. VERY easy to use. I'll report back if I have any problems with it. If I don't report back that means it's working great and I'm enjoying my easier-to-navigate audiobooks instead of posting in forums. :)

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I know this can be done internally w/ iTunes now...and for free w/ Audiobook Maker....*but* I've gone and paid $7 for Audiobook Builder and couldn't be happier. Its just too easy, no screwin' around w/ consolidating files (which are sometimes titled differently on the various CDs). Just got it and so far so good. I've got it running in the background while I'm busy elsewhere-all I have to do is pop in the discs. Its definitely worth it if you're making more than a couple audiobooks.

johnr529

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Columbus, OH
Thanks!

I've looked for software that would work for me in transforming my mp3's to audiobook and your link was better then anything I've been able to find.

Thanks!

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
AudioBooks

There are 3 good audiobook converters in the Mac App Store or on MacUpdate

AudioBook Builder (I've used this for several MP3 (multifile) to m4b chapter

ChapterMark (I've used the demo and it seems ok, similar to the above)

AudioBook Binder (this one is free)

Geoffynz

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
everyone STOP

what you do is

MAGIC!!!!! best advise.

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just thought it would be helper for future users. I just downloaded Audio Builder and bought a license. This program rocks. Well worth the investment.

Wasabihound

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Thanks Aries326. Was just looking for something on this topic.

Have tested Audiobook Builder (link to site):

• works well (you can download a trial (converts only 20 min of audio).
  • Builds chapters and uploads to iTunes for you.
  • can drag files straight into the builder from iTunes

Buy from Mac App store (for some reason is cheaper here than buying direct from seller - at least in Australia ($6.49 AUD vs $9.95 US from site)

Also tried AudioBook Binder - free from App Store

• combines files into one single book
  • uploads direct to iTunes
  • can drag files (at least did not work for me) onto maker

Both seem to have good sound quality (it's an audiobook after all)

Went for Audiobook Maker since I was not that concerned with chapters - the bookmarking that is associated with audiobooks on iTunes is enough - so does the job.

If you are converting say lecture notes or a presentation and so might want chapters then Audiobook Builder may be more up your alley.

There is a third app called Audiobook Maker which is $4.49 AUD as well. (Find in the App Store - just use Audiobook in the search box). No idea what this is like.

(tested on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2)

Last edited:

TyShawn

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
Where does Audiobook maker save the exported files? I don't see my books in itunes or in the download folder where I ran the app from.

macdlena

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
In the past I converted my music collection from MP3 to AAC so it'd play on my first iTunes. It was a while ago but I remember it being a very good application. you may download it for a try

bohuttinger

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
It is EASY to convert now!

With the latest version of iTunes it is easier than ever. No need to install apps, re-rip CDs, run scripts, etc. Just use iTunes in a few simple steps!

Just change the tags in the tracks info, then change the type.

Check out the 5 step solution! bit.ly/y8YoWH

Cheers,
Bo

jasondixon

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Hampshire, UK
Just downloaded Audiobook Binder. What a great little app, and free from the app store. Outstanding. I've used the iTunes method for single files, but when you're trying to stitch multiple chapter files together, it does get trickier, and this app makes it so easy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.