Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
This thread is geared towards European gamers..mostly, if you know about the subject, and your not in Europe, feel free to advice me on what to get.

I’m leaving for a trip, which will involve going to german, austria, hungary and Czeck Republic. Of course I’m planning on getting stuff to bring back to the US, and I’m looking at some video game stuff.

I know the USA/Japan often get games before you...however every once in a while, we don't. I want to know some of the things you currently have, which isn't sold in the USA. I'd like them to be add ons or games that can work with my system from the USA. DS games, add ons are all good, sadly Wii games don't work(and i really did want Mario strikers charged!) Maybe an Xbox 360 stuff too.

Anything worth picking up? If I have lots of money near the end of the trip, I'll look into buying a white PSP...but its cheaper here(The black one). I'm going to 2 countries which use the euro(Germany and Austria) but then 2 which don't (Hungary and Czeck Republic)..if I can pick up anything in the non-Euro using countries, I'd like to, as I'm guessing they will be cheaper there.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's very hard to find a good game shop in Europe, or at least through my experiences. The only time I spotted a game shop in Spain was an overpriced shop in Benidorm - it cost about £40 for Bomberman DS, it was £19 in the UK at the time.

I think your best bet is airports. Alicante has a lovely little game shop, picked up 2 NES Classics last time I was there.

As for prerelease games? No such luck, all I can think of is Mario Football. :eek:

*all this said - I haven't tried looking for games in Germany. I see a lot of German players on online games so they must have a few more shops than the rest of Europe*

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Anno 1701 came out for the DS i think that is currently europe only for 1-2 months
The Settlers 2 remake which is going to be released on 7 juli very likely the same

perhaps there are other games around (strategy games ?) but those 2 i can think of the top of my head who are also high profile games

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
You can assume to be paying a lot more for stuff like games here in Europe than in the States. Remember that taxes are a lot higher in European countries for the most part (especially in Germany and Austria). I'd be very surprised if you find anything worth your while here in Europe...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why do you think we all import if we can Zap ;)

Seriously - prices are a con here.

In Ireland Wii games are €49.99 or $68
Xbox 360 game are average new price of €59.99 or $80
PS3 games are on average €64.99 or just under $90

Too expensive altogether. Spend your money on better things whilst your over - things you can't get in the States... like

Heritage and Culture :p :D :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Isn't Sim City DS only out here and Japan too? Sure I saw it in a shop here, yet theres no thread about it yet :D

A friend of mine got a 39-in-1 years ago and (collectively) it was the best game he had. Full of obscure Japanese games that you couldn't understand and minor hits like Tennis, Lode Runner, Flipull. I've seen plenty of them games in markets, Poland and Spain seem to be abundant in them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.