Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana
I was thinking lately that my current Windows notebook is bastardly slow and horrid, I was thinking of getting an iBook G4 to introduce me into the Mac world (aww... how cute!) I have been dying to get a Mac, and I think the iBook is an affordable solution. See, I would like to run Tiger, maybe even Leopard! Ok... maybe not. But I have a few questions:

How well does Tiger run on an iBook G4?
Is it easy to upgrade an iBook G4?
How do you like your current iNook?
Does the 12" screen really hurt your eyes?
Would I be better off with an iMac G4?
and fianlly...
Is it worth it?

Thanks sooo much for your help and I hope to see you on a Mac soon!

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
As a recent switcher myself, I can tell you that there's no point in "testing the waters" by buying a low end machine. OS X will not disapoint you. While there is a slight learning curve, it doesn't last long. Getting an old piece of hardware now would just be a bad move. Instead, put that money towards a brand new mb or mbp, and get ready to kiss Windows and poorly designed PCs goodbye.

rhagen

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
San Diego, California
As a recent switcher myself, I can tell you that there's no point in "testing the waters" by buying a low end machine. OS X will not disapoint you. While there is a slight learning curve, it doesn't last long. Getting an old piece of hardware now would just be a bad move. Instead, put that money towards a brand new mb or mbp, and get ready to kiss Windows and poorly designed PCs goodbye.

I concur

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana

True, but I ain't got noze moneyze cuz eyez justa windoze usaa.:cool:

lol, I suppose. But I don't have any money to put twords a ***BRAND FANTABULOUS NEW COMPUTER***, thats the thing. Something between $200-$300 would suit me. :D I really don't need to do major things, just basic stuff.

sfisher

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Albuquerque, NM USA
I was thinking lately that my current Windows notebook is bastardly slow and horrid, I was thinking of getting an iBook G4 to introduce me into the Mac world (aww... how cute!) I have been dying to get a Mac, and I think the iBook is an affordable solution. See, I would like to run Tiger, maybe even Leopard! Ok... maybe not. But I have a few questions:

Perfectly. I plan on trying Leopard on it too even though I'm getting a new MacBook Pro soon.

Upgrade what? RAM for one is a piece of cake. Haven't tried anything else.

How do you like your current iNook

iNook:confused: I still love my iBook 3 years after buying it.

Dunno, mine's a 14" and at 1024x768 it's perfectly fine (well one can always hope for more screen space).

It depends if you want a desktop or a laptop.

and fianlly...
Is it worth it?

My iBook G4 1.2GHz is still perfectly fast for almost everything I do (gotta love OS X!). Programming is a huge exception to that though. Is it worth it? I'd have to agree with the other poster who said to just go with a new machine if you can afford it and enjoy it along with a 3 year support contract (AppleCare, if you buy it). The AppleCare on the last iBooks are going to be running out sooner than later. If you can't afford a new machine, used iBook G4 that are fast enough (1.2+Ghz) are still perfectly fast for most people.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
True, but I ain't got noze moneyze cuz eyez justa windoze usaa.:cool:

lol, I suppose. But I don't have any money to put twords a ***BRAND FANTABULOUS NEW COMPUTER***, thats the thing. Something between $200-$300 would suit me. :D I really don't need to do major things, just basic stuff.

Well then just wait a little longer if you don't have the money. Frankly, you shouldn't be worried about a new computer if you only have $200-$300 to spend. Work a little more, save a little more, and then buy in a few months when you can afford a base mb.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
PowerPC hardware just seems like a thing of the past, but all computers are capable of word processing in one form or another. I'm considering getting one myself for classes sometime down the road.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
PowerPC hardware just seems like a thing of the past, but all computers are capable of word processing in one form or another. I'm considering getting one myself for classes sometime down the road.

PPC is very much a thing of the past. Even though it's perfectly capable, it's already a year+ old, which means that it will harder to keep up sooner than an Intel Mac.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

No I am typing this from a 12" powerbook and the screen size is great. as far as if it is worth it or not what exactally are you planning to do with it? for most stuff that is not really processor intensive the later revisions will be fine, or you could just wait a little longer and buy a refurb Macbook.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
We use the iBook 12inch (last model release) with 1Gb RAM as our 'living room' machine. Runs two accounts and a bunch of apps at the same time with no problem. Would be nice to have a MacBook for the same job, but the smaller size fits in the lap a little better IMO.

Good enough for surfing, email, watching videos, pictures, writing stuff etc... if you can get one cheap, probably worth getting.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Without having a potential sale to consider, it seems kind of silly to revert to the default "it's not worth it" response. If you're able to locate an inexpensive iBook G4 locally (likely an 800-1000 mhz machine), $300 maybe a bit more, that's a good deal to consider.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
What spec is your current windows laptop? If you get a mac with lower specs than that you may find yourself unnecessarily disappointed. for instance if your current machine has a higher resolution than the iBook you may find yourself fustrated with less screen real estate.
A G4 is still a good machine though. For everyday use there's nothing it wont run, although higher end stuff will obviously struggle.

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana
What spec is your current windows laptop? If you get a mac with lower specs than that you may find yourself unnecessarily disappointed. for instance if your current machine has a higher resolution than the iBook you may find yourself fustrated with less screen real estate.
A G4 is still a good machine though. For everyday use there's nothing it wont run, although higher end stuff will obviously struggle.

If only I could run Mac OS X on my laptop. lol.

But

1.3 GHz Centrino Mobile
446 MB RAM.

Well my notebook is not slow, it's just Windows slow. I tried an iBook already and semed faster than this one. I just didn't get to try it for long. The screen didn't seem that small, I just wanted to know what it was like after prolonged use.

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana

Good. The only apps I usually run on my Windows box are:

Safari
Thunderbird
iTunes
Abiword
and Picasa 2

The usual stuff. I think it would be perfect for me. I just need to find a good one for a good price.

sfisher

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Albuquerque, NM USA
Good. The only apps I usually run on my Windows box are:

Safari
Thunderbird
iTunes
Abiword
and Picasa 2

The usual stuff. I think it would be perfect for me. I just need to find a good one for a good price.

Safari and iTunes are of course available on Mac OS X. Thunderbird works on OS X. AbiWord is available for OS X (but equation editing doesn't work yet according to their web site). I don't think Google's Picasa is available on OS X yet though.

VaDor

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2006
Portugal,Palmela
If only I could run Mac OS X on my laptop. lol.

But

1.3 GHz Centrino Mobile
446 MB RAM.

Well my notebook is not slow, it's just Windows slow. I tried an iBook already and semed faster than this one. I just didn't get to try it for long. The screen didn't seem that small, I just wanted to know what it was like after prolonged use.

And you can run on a pc but the experience isn't the same.. The osx86 project (http://www.osx86project.org/ ) is in early state and some pc specs run mac os x natively (if you use of course a hack version.. not such legal though.. lol).

Or you can just use vmware and install the same hacked version.

But my advise is using mac os x in a pc isn't even closer the experience that you will find if you use a mac!! Keep in mind this!!!!

kusanagi

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007

How do you like your current iNook?
and fianlly...
Is it worth it?

Thanks sooo much for your help and I hope to see you on a Mac soon!

If you are planing to use the ibook as a 'learning machine' and not as a primary computer, then its not a bad idea. However, as mentioned above,it does run off power pc architecture and will be considerably slower than any intel macbook.

From personal experience, ive been using the last generation ibook for the better part of the past 2 years and i've found it being a great machine but a bit on the slow end once you get several apps + widgets running.

If you want to take full advantage of OSX tiger, you'll need to get the last revision 14"(1.42ghz) or 12"(1.3ghz) ibook, these had the radion 9550 graphics processor which was the only one in the ibook line to take advantage of Core Image (all the fancy visual effects) in tiger.

To answer your questions,

1. I think i explained that a bit above,

2. Only upgradable parts are the ram, hdd and cd drive. The ram is easy but there is only one ram slot + onboard memory. It's located just under the keyboard. The HDD and CD Rom require fully dismantling your ibook. Guides can be found at http://www.ifixit.com however, be careful, i ended up having to resolder my speaker wires directly onto the logic board after i pulled the top bezel a bit too much and it ripped the socket right off the board!

3. I still use it for msn, downloading and the odd surfing, or when i dont want to cart my mbp around, big difference in speed.

4. The 12" screen is gorgeous! However not as bright as the current models. Watch out if you're getting an iBook from a school or office environment, chances are its been left with teh screen on almost every day which will overall in time reduce the brightness of your display.

5. AFAIK the imac G4 lines did not support core image until the very end. In which case, you'd probably be paying more than for the ibook.

6. up to you! i'd recomend a CD macbook if you're going to use it as your primary computer, but for learning, and if you can get a good one cheap, go for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.