Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arielled01

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
is there a noticeable difference in the HDD for the Macbook Pro:

160 GB 5400 RPM
160 GB 7200 RPM

also does the RPM have anything to do with memory. For example if I upgrade to 4 gb of ram is it better to have the 7200 RPM?

thankyou

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
7200rpm would give you a slight speed increase for lots of things. if you can afford to go for it, then why not.

Also, the RPM has nothing to do with the amount of ram you have in your computer.

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
7200rpm would give you a slight speed increase for lots of things. if you can afford to go for it, then why not.

Also, the RPM has nothing to do with the amount of ram you have in your computer.

Will this make these laptops any HOTTER???:eek: :eek: :eek:

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
It means that your hard drive will spin faster and when things spin faster things usually get hotter.

Usually = not always, like in not in this case (assuming one is comparing two hard drives of equal size).

Hard drives consume power when they do work but idle spinning consumes very little power. Now slow-spinning hard drive has to do more (milliseconds of) work just to find the correct place to read the data. Furthermore, the slower-spinning hard drive has to do more (milliseconds of) work to actually read the data. This means that faster-spinning hard drive can "idle" more than the slower-spinning hard drive (assuming both do equal amount of data reading/writing). And because more idle revs, the faster drive can actually consume *less* power and run cooler OR on the other hand, the faster drive can do more work for same power.

Fast hard drive is always a win-win situation, you only have to invest some more money to get one ;)

basicfiend

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Here's a review

Storage Review has a comparison between the two drives (and a few more too, but concentrate on the Seagate 5400.3 and Seagate 7200.2 as those are the two options for the MBP:

http://www.storagereview.com/160notebook.sr

You can check out the performance increases yourself, but concentrating on the downside of the 7200:

Basically the 7200 is faster, but it's also noisier and consumes slightly more power. The 5400 consumes about 35% less power than the 7200 when idling, and the 7200 is 2 decibels louder:

http://www.storagereview.com/160notebook.sr?page=0,5

Can't have your cake and eat it too :(

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
The faster the hard drive the better, always.

The Hard drive is the slowest component inside a computer, you mite as well get the fastest one you can.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I'd stick with the 5400, however, it really depends on what you are doing with the laptop. If the most important issue is capacity, then you might want the 200GB (and eventually the 250GB 5400).

If application load times are important or use any application that reads or writes frequently to disk, the faster the better.

So far 5400 has been fine for me and I would no spend the extra to upgrade. Capacity is more important to me (not important enough to drop to 4200) so on my next purchase I will propably wait for the new 250GB 5400s are build to order options.

Cheers,

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
The 5400 consumes about 35% less power than the 7200 when idling

Who cares? When the laptop lid is open, somebody is likely *using* it for something, thus not idling the hard drive. Idle numbers are important for 24/7 high-availability servers that are designed for occasional light load.

Hard drive laptop is in constant use so real-world numbers would be most important. Unfortunately, you can only get trustworthy real-world comparison by installing two different hard drives into one and the same system and running same tests for both. I did it with a G4@667MHz PowerBook which was a case (in which hard drive change was a piece of cake) and noticed that 7200rpm hard drive not only ran cooler (because it did less work and more idling for the same amount of disk activity) but the hard drive change also did not affect to the battery life in a measurable way. Give or take 5 minutes of battery life, the real-world power consumption is very close to nothing.

After that experience, I will always put in the fastest-spinning hard drive available, period. The only downsize is money, but for the performance gain it's well worth it.

If the most important issue is capacity, then

...you might just as well buy some terabytes of external storage.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
...you might just as well buy some terabytes of external storage.

I do have TBs worth of external disks, however I beleive some folks just don't like lugging the external drive around. I actually carry a 160GB 2.5 inch external sata drive for my ipod videos. It only has eSATA and USB2 but once I buy a MBP instead of this MB I will either get a eSATA card or a FW800 2.5 inch enclousure. Speed is good, just for me not the most important thing (especially if I have to spend ($200+ to have apple put it in - it would be nice if the drives in the MBP were user upgradable).

Cheers,

basicfiend

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Who cares? When the laptop lid is open, somebody is likely *using* it for something, thus not idling the hard drive. Idle numbers are important for 24/7 high-availability servers that are designed for occasional light load.

Hard drive laptop is in constant use so real-world numbers would be most important.

Hmm, my hard drive is definitely idling during lectures when I'm using my laptop to surf the net. Sure, it depends on your usage patterns (like surfing the web versus watching movies), but my hard drive is actually idle most of the time. Furthermore, if you're doing video editing and spinning the hard drive, you're also likely plugged in and power consumption doesn't matter.

I guess there are 10 types of laptop users in this world: those who want mobile battery life and those who need fast disk performance.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Apps will in theory launch faster with the 7200, although how noticeable this will be is debatable.

If you are doing, or planning to do any digital video work then it is also important.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
I have a 160GB 7200rpm Seagate in my MacBook.

It's not just about apps launching faster (come on, how often does one launch apps?). It's also about the overall responsiveness of the system. No matter how much RAM you have, there will always be disk access all the time. And every single time the OS accesses the disk, it will do so 33% faster. The result is an overall snappier-feeling system.

Some people feel that for the same money, one should opt for more disk space instead of faster RPM. The way I see it, the extra disk space may not be used at all, but a snappier system will be felt all the time.

Also, if you use Parallels or Fusion, then you this is definitely the next best thing to having a separate physical HDD.

arielled01

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
i think i am going to get with the 2.4 ghz MBP because ive been reading on other forums about the better video card and such, and also with the 160 GB 7200 rpm. the student discount is very beneficial although the tax (in my case $170) is a bummer. total cost = $2604.38 :eek:

does anyone object to upgrading to the 2.4 ghz?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I just installed a Seagate 160GB 7200 rpm HDD in my new 2.2GHz MacBook Pro w/ 4GB of OCz RAM and this thing is a screamer. Much faster than my 2GHz MacBook w/ 5200rpm HDD (I know there are other improvements, but I can tell the faster HDD is doing its part). :)

babababoon

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2005
I am thinking 5400 vs 7200 as well. I do a lot of photoshop/illustrator work do you think 7200 rpm drive would be a lot better than the 5400 drive?

boyneverstop

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
London, UK
I just installed a Seagate 160GB 7200 rpm HDD in my new 2.2GHz MacBook Pro w/ 4GB of OCz RAM and this thing is a screamer. Much faster than my 2GHz MacBook w/ 5200rpm HDD (I know there are other improvements, but I can tell the faster HDD is doing its part). :)

what about the change in battery life? does it effect the battery life?
how long can your battery last if you only use safari and itune, msn etc? thank you very much! i d like to buy a mbp and upgrade the memory and hdd just like you! thank you!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
For the sake of the noisyness of your MBP, and for the battery life, the 5400 is better. I remember someone posted up benchmarks on both of the drives and there was a very minimal difference between the two. I say get the 5400 (I did) and keep your battery life (and money!) :)

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007

Called OWC yesterday.

4 gigs of Ram is like $219 (2 x 2gigs)

Seagate 7200 RPM 160 gig drive is $189.

No sales tax.

I'm on the fence, too. What to do.

160GB 2.5" Seagate Momentus 7200.2 7200RPM SATA Notebook drive with 8MB Cache
OWC Item # SEAST9160823AS
Same Day $189.99

Just a note: Either Hitachi now has a 200 gig 7200 rpm drive through OWC.
200GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 7200RPM SATA Notebook Drive with 16MB Cache
OWC Item # HIT0A50940

basicfiend

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007

Called OWC yesterday.

4 gigs of Ram is like $219

Seagate 7200 RPM 160 gig drive is $299.

No sales tax.

I'm on the fence, too. What to do.

I just don't want this thing any hotter...:eek:

Just a note: Either Hitachi or Fujitsu now has a 200 gig 7200 rpm drive through OWC. Yikes.

Both?

I ordered the Seagate from ComputerGiants.com for $164 (no tax, no shipping), but estimated shipping date is June 30th.

I wonder how the Hitachi 200 GB drive performs. If it's as good as their 160GB 7200 drive, then I might just cancel this order....

Jenkl

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2007
What restrictions would you say there are for size/speed of a hardrive you put into a Macbook? Just due to power consumption... Im curious if theres a limit I should watch for. I intend to buy my own SATA drive, as big and fast as I can get for around 100 bucks, so I just want to make sure I dont screw myself. Figured this is a good thread for the question ;).

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
What restrictions would you say there are for size/speed of a hardrive you put into a Macbook? Just due to power consumption... Im curious if theres a limit I should watch for. I intend to buy my own SATA drive, as big and fast as I can get for around 100 bucks, so I just want to make sure I dont screw myself. Figured this is a good thread for the question ;).

I think any of the 2.5 inch sata drives will be fine. I use a 160GB Hitachi SATA drive in mine with no issues.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.