Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I have a G3 iBook and just the other day the display stopped working. There were no signs of the display going bad, it's just went. Am I able to boot the iBook via Target Disk Mode on my PowerBook and run the iBook Hardware Test CD on it? Also, can I reboot my PowerBook and choose the iBook as the startup volume?

I know how to do Target Disk Mode but the latter I'm not sure about.

Thanks.

\m/

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
If you boot the PB from the iBook and run the hardware test it will test the PowerBook instead of the iBook. Target Disk mode turns the computer into a big, expensive firewire hard drive.

If you want to run the hardware test, you should rope yourself a monitor and do it that way. Hopefully is the display and not the logic board.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Thanks Fleetwood,

I found out that the HW test only works on that specific model, which I knew, but didn't know if it would work with how I had it set up. Looks like the external display connection is the old Apple one so I'm out of luck testing that here. Bummer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.