Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slug420

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Most of my video footage on my sony handycam is in widescreen, how can I make it so my "new->project" is a widescreen project and make it so that it respects the native resolution of a clip and letterboxes it or whatever instead of stretching?

Also when im capturing, via the log and capture window, how do I get that to capture and/or preview in widescreen instead of stretching?

thanks

BigJimSlade

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2005
What format does your camera shoot? Have you chosen the appropriate Easy Setup before you begin capture/create your sequence?

slug420

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
im not sure exactly what format it shoots....its the sony hc42. looks like 16:9 based on my google results. I do have some footage I will want to include in my project that is standard 4:3 however.

I feel like a dope because while I saw the easy setup option in the menu, I havent clicked it yet to see where that gets me. Ill give it a shot tonight.

slug420

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
ok, so i looked in easy setup and dont see an option that mentions widescreen...right now its at its default....NTSC and miniDV or something. im importing some video now (or trying to) but ill check exactly what it says when i get a chance. What should I have everything set to to import and work with video in WS?

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There should be an Easy Setup that mentions DV Anamorphic. That's the one you want. You have to check the "Show All" for it to be displayed, though. That will stay selected until you choose something different.

Davowade

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Melbourne
Hey slug,

Not sure how this will work for you as I am in PAL land, but I work with widescreen stuff all of the time.
If the camera puts everything on tape as anamorphic (stretched from widescreen to fit a squarer picture) then there may be an easy setup for this that should be named DV NTSC Anamorphic.

Otherwise you can use the distort controls from the motion tab to make anamorphic video letterboxed, I usually use a -33 distort.

If your camera captures as a letterboxed picture then it should be easier.

Hope this was of some help.

D.

slug420

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
thanks for the tips...i just did a capture in that anamorphic mode and it looks to have worked....it dropped some frames though for some reason so im going to try to figure out why that is before I go any farther...im sure ill be back in this thread again once i actually start trying to work with the video :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.