Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Montano

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Sunny CA :)
Somebody has to know if this will work with iDVD, iTunes, booting from the OS X disks, etc.... All the things that make a drive Mac compatible :D

Montano

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Rocket Rion's thread has no mention of the drive working or not. Only that he can't get the tray to open. And my thread was posted a day before his.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Funny, when I search the Drive Compatibilty Database (HERE), I find 4 reports that more than answer your question.

You're welcome, BTW.

Montano

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Originally posted by solvs
Funny, when I search the Drive Compatibilty Database (HERE), I find 4 reports that more than answer your question.

You're welcome, BTW.

I double checked the dvd+r / dvd-r (which is what the 106 is) section, and I still get 0 entries. If it is in a different section, please let me know. When I find the information I'm after, I will thank you.

zkmusa

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Dallas, TX
Hi Montano,

I just did a search on the drive compatibility database. I got 4 results.

Search for this:

Drive type: "DVD+R/RW + DVD-R/RW"
Drive Brand: Pioneer
Mac OS Version: OS X

That will get you the 4 results I found.

Basically to answer your question, one person posted iDVD didn't complain about the drive, but he hasn't tried burning a DVD in iDVD yet.

Hope this helps!

Rocket Rion

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Austin
Well my Pioneer 106 is NOT compatible with my power mac. Nothing will burn, but it will read DVDs. iDVD doesn't like it. Disk utility doesn't like it. System profiler sees it as just a DVD+R drive and says burning is not supported.

Crap, I spent an hour filing down the mirror door opening so the tray would go through.

The latest Macworld says the 05 works, but since this is the 06, perhaps the + makes the difference.

God, I hope I can get DVD Studio Pro to burn. I just ordered that and I'll let you all know.

Rocket Rion

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Austin
Update:

I used a hexedit change that was posted on Apple's G4 discussion board to enable my DVR-106 to be recognized.

iDVD works now. I just burned a project to DVD-R.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.