Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

physicsnerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Okay, I spend a lot of time driving in my truck and my new iPod has been wonderful for those long trips. But the sound using a tape adapter is only so so, and I don't really like FM transmitters. I am going to get rid of my factory stereo and get one with a line in. However I was wondering if there are there any car stereos than can control an iPod? Or does anyone know of a hack to get the cd changer controls to control the iPod?

Thanks,

Physicsnerd

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Hmm... it could communicate with the iPod the same way the remote does, so it's possible.

I just don't think there's enough of a market for a stereo manufacturer to build this feature into a unit for such a small potential market.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
my dads 1990 Subaru Legacy has an Audio In..in the front face. its a double din.. stereo , factory stock. with cassette..

if your truck supports the same size you could prob find one cheap at a scrap yard

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i don't think he's looking for a stereo with line in, which aren't hard to come by, i think he's looking for a stereo that can control the iPod's function like a remote. Which i do not believe exists.

sorry...

pnw

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
no that would be very difficult to do if you think about it unless the deck acted as a wireless remote, which none do. Just buy one with a aux jack, I have one and it's great.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
I'm with others on this .. I doubt that any manufacturer would spend the money to make something like this.

I did get a head unit with an Aux input (from the back). I tore up the dash, brought the connection down the console and into my car's sunglass-holder hole thing, and am able to leave my iPod in there while still being able to easily reach the 'Pods remote. It's very cool, easy to use (after installing) and much better sounding than the casette adapters. Also, the cord doesn't get in the way with my shift knob now. It takes a little work, but its definitely worth it.

[Edit: a lot of the newer head units don't have front Line-In jacks because the market this year is into MP3 CDs. You'll be hard-pressed finding a new, good-quality head unit with a front line-in.]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.