Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups

Old Jun 25, 2007, 01:58 PM   #1
timb
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to timb
iPhone Purchasers: Norfolk, VA

I just talked to a guy at the Apple Store in MacArthur Center. He said they will have iPhones on Friday, no idea on stock.

Anyone interested in meeting up and waiting Friday afternoon with me?

Last edited by timb; Jun 25, 2007 at 02:07 PM.
timb is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:10 PM   #2
macrev
Banned

What Time?

What Time you headed up?? I live about 5 miles from the store and figured I would go up there.
macrev is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:51 PM   #3
hockeymonkey83
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to hockeymonkey83 Send a message via MSN to hockeymonkey83 Send a message via Yahoo to hockeymonkey83
i was going to go up there also, hoping i would be able to get one if i go there around 3
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:30 PM   #4
takitapart
macrumors newbie

I'll be there. I'm up in Newport News and have been debating all week where to wait for this thing. Still think the apple store is a much better (and pleasant) option than my local AT&T store.

Still not sure when I'll venture down there. Glad it's in a mall, at least I know there won't be overnight campers to compete with.
takitapart is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:54 PM   #5
timb
macrumors 6502

I'm going to swing by all the Cingular / ATT stores on the peninsula Thursday night and see if anyone is camping. (Though I can't imagine anyone camping on Jefferson Ave. overnight, that's pretty much on the corner of Mug Whitey Dr. and Stab Whitey Ln.)

In all likely hood I'll hit up MacArthur around noontime on Friday. If there's a line we can all just stick together and chill out. I'd recommend bringing fold out chairs. (I have two extras I can bring if anyone needs them.)
timb is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:41 AM   #6
auxplage
macrumors 6502

I just know that there is going to be a much larger crowd than any of us can expect.

I went to the opening at Macarthur, and it took an hour to get in there that is with people moving in AND out the entire time. I also was near the front of the line.

"Language disguises thought." ~ Wittgenstein
auxplage is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Malakas07
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
I just talked to a guy at the Apple Store in MacArthur Center. He said they will have iPhones on Friday, no idea on stock.

Anyone interested in meeting up and waiting Friday afternoon with me?

Yeah I'll meet up with you. Just let me know when your going to be there. I originally was planning on being there at 1pm. The store will be closed at 2pm for preparations.

We can monitor the line and hold spots for bathroom breaks, food, coffee. etc. The store has free Wifi so I'm brining my Macbook.

I live in Va beach but will be leaving work in Norfolk. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxplage View Post
I just know that there is going to be a much larger crowd than any of us can expect.
A part of me thinks the same thing. But I am also thinking that the phone is $600 & $500. Plus a two year contract w/ credit checks. I don't think we're going to have mass lines like we did for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

I'm pretty sure there'll be more then 20 ppl in Hampton Roads that are going to show up at McAuthur for an iPhone but I don't think we'll have campers like we've seen. I don't know we'll see Friday morning when the mall opens.

Last edited by Malakas07; Jun 26, 2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Add
Malakas07 is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:43 PM   #8
timb
macrumors 6502

I'll be there around noon with my MacBook Pro, two batteries and a Nintendo DS in tow.
timb is offline   0
Old Jun 27, 2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Malakas07
macrumors member

Quote:
I'll be there around noon with my MacBook Pro, two batteries and a Nintendo DS in tow.

Good, I'll see you there.

Been checking around on local forums and not alot of people are saying they are going to make an appearence for the Friday launch. They either are going to wait, say it's too expensive or don't want to cancel their current contract.

BUT

I've camped for the Xbox 360 and PS3 and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who came and called everyone they knew to jump in line with them so they all could sell on Ebay. Those are the guys I'm afraid of.
Malakas07 is offline   0
Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:06 PM   #10
timb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas07 View Post
Good, I'll see you there.

Been checking around on local forums and not alot of people are saying they are going to make an appearence for the Friday launch. They either are going to wait, say it's too expensive or don't want to cancel their current contract.

BUT

I've camped for the Xbox 360 and PS3 and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who came and called everyone they knew to jump in line with them so they all could sell on Ebay. Those are the guys I'm afraid of.
Yea, I saw the same thing with the Wii (though I lucked out and got one at Costco).

I don't think we'll see a lot of eBay scalpers for the iPhone; Apple has already said they have plenty of stock online for shipping.
timb is offline   0
Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:31 PM   #11
takitapart
macrumors newbie

I don't think that's going to be much of a deterrent. While I think the activate over iTunes at home feature is really, really cool -- it's way too ebayer-friendly.

Still wondering when I'll head down that way. Anyone going really early? I'm pretty sure I'm taking the whole day off.

My bro called the store earlier today, no details, they did expect to be open to midnight (and beyond) to make sure they could accommodate everyone. Really hoping they have to stock to make that possible.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 04:48 PM   #12
Malakas07
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takitapart View Post

My bro called the store earlier today, no details, they did expect to be open to midnight (and beyond) to make sure they could accommodate everyone. Really hoping they have to stock to make that possible.
Wow, that sounds great. I really hope they have enough stock to last that long.

I figure most people including myself want to buy the iphone and get home asap.

How early are you planning on being there?

I thought the Mall opens at 10am?
Malakas07 is offline   0
Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:50 PM   #13
timb
macrumors 6502

It does open at 10 AM.

Unfortunately I can't be there until around noon.

Has anyone thought about the mall security booting us out for loitering? That's the only thing that worries me.
timb is offline   0
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:35 PM   #14
flipto
macrumors newbie

I have a question to you guys. I will be going to Apple Store in MacArthur Center to get my Dad an iphone since he can't do it himself because of work. Can I just go in there, pay them cash, and go home? I don't want to be waiting in line there then finding out I can't buy it with cash, they need a credit check, etc. [I watched the apple video, just making sure] My Dad will be giving me about $700 cash to get him one. Will I be ok and be able to get him an iphone when it's all done?
flipto is offline   0
Old Jun 27, 2007, 09:24 PM   #15
minnesotamacman
macrumors regular

cash should be OK...

Hey, I am headed down there around 3pm... I am a pastor and cannot get
away really, but I want one of these bad. You guys open to working with
each in holding line space for bathroom, food break? I think if we work
together we can make this great on all of us. I know others will be there
who are MacRumors people, but I hope all are friendly.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 09:54 PM   #16
takitapart
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It does open at 10 AM.

Unfortunately I can't be there until around noon.

Has anyone thought about the mall security booting us out for loitering? That's the only thing that worries me.
I'll probably be there around 10. The store said they were fully expecting lines, I can't imagine they wouldn't have some plan in place to accommodate us at least during regular mall hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipto View Post
I have a question to you guys. I will be going to Apple Store in MacArthur Center to get my Dad an iphone since he can't do it himself because of work. Can I just go in there, pay them cash, and go home? I don't want to be waiting in line there then finding out I can't buy it with cash, they need a credit check, etc. [I watched the apple video, just making sure] My Dad will be giving me about $700 cash to get him one. Will I be ok and be able to get him an iphone when it's all done?
Based on the fact you can activate (including credit check) from iTunes, I'd guess that shouldn't be a problem. But I know I wouldn't be willing to take that chance. Unfortunately no one has a definite answer right now.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:53 PM   #17
flipto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Based on the fact you can activate (including credit check) from iTunes, I'd guess that shouldn't be a problem. But I know I wouldn't be willing to take that chance. Unfortunately no one has a definite answer right now.
I know I shouldn't be worrying about this cause apple explained in the video that activation will all be done on itunes. It just feels like that when I go there on Friday to buy the iphone in cash, they may not sell it to me.
flipto is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2007, 01:05 AM   #18
timb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipto View Post
I know I shouldn't be worrying about this cause apple explained in the video that activation will all be done on itunes. It just feels like that when I go there on Friday to buy the iphone in cash, they may not sell it to me.
Edit: I stand corrected, merchants can refuse cash transactions. That coupled with the post below, yea, it's a good bet you won't be getting one.

(I'm assuming they don't want to have $50k worth of cash sitting around the store. That's a robbery waiting to happen.)

Last edited by timb; Jun 28, 2007 at 01:51 AM.
timb is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2007, 01:08 AM   #19
View
macrumors regular

The ATT store here in Fayetteville, AR has posted a notice that they will not be accepting any cash payments on Friday after 6
View is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2007, 08:44 AM   #20
Malakas07
macrumors member

Quote:
I'll probably be there around 10. The store said they were fully expecting lines, I can't imagine they wouldn't have some plan in place to accommodate us at least during regular mall hours.
Wow, I would but I can't leave work until around noon.

If I PM you my phone # can you call me if the line starts to get nasty before Noon??

If it's more then 30-40 people. I don't know.
Malakas07 is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:42 AM   #21
flipto
macrumors newbie

It looks like I won't be going since they may not accept cash. I guess we'll have to wait. Thanks for the reply!
flipto is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:25 PM   #22
timb
macrumors 6502

Well, I can show up between 10 and 11 now. If anyone wants me to call them with a status on the line, PM your phone number and a time to call.

I'm thinking it would be best if all the MacRumors people clustered together in the line. That way we can easily take bathroom breaks, food runs, etc. and we're pretty much assured phones.
timb is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2007, 04:36 PM   #23
takitapart
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I'm thinking it would be best if all the MacRumors people clustered together in the line. That way we can easily take bathroom breaks, food runs, etc. and we're pretty much assured phones.
Sounds good to me.

Yeah, I'd be happy to make any status update calls too.

See you all tomorrow...
Old Jun 28, 2007, 08:25 PM   #24
hockeymonkey83
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to hockeymonkey83 Send a message via MSN to hockeymonkey83 Send a message via Yahoo to hockeymonkey83
I am going to head to the mall at ten, if the line isnt long i am going to go see live free or die hard in the theatre and then come back, if theres a line already i just watch the bootleg copy on my ipod
Old Jun 28, 2007, 08:26 PM   #25
timb
macrumors 6502

Yup, see everyone tomorrow.

For reference, I should be wearing a black Apple Developer T-Shirt with a giant "X" on the front. Should be easy to spot.
timb is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups