Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups

Old Jun 25, 2007, 02:05 PM   #1
kavika411
Banned

iPhone Purchasers: Birmingham, Alabama

Anyone here in the Birmingham (Alabama - not England) area? It might be fun to meet up Friday. Then again, I don't want anyone getting the last phone in front of me. Respond if you are in Birmingham with your plans. I tentatively plan to avoid the Apple store and hit the Cingular store at the Colonnade.
kavika411 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:07 PM   #2
dagger55
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to dagger55
i spoke with the manager at the Lakeshore ATT store, and she said that out off all the ATT stores in Bham, they would be getting the biggest shipment, since they are the biggest ATT store in the state
dagger55 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:11 PM   #3
kavika411
Banned

Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up, dagger55. However, I'm rethinking my strategy altogether. I think that places near schools - Samford/Lakeshore, Brookwood Mall/Homewood and Mountain Brook - will be swamped. I just called a store in Fairfield off 20/59 in a not-as-safe part of town. Without making any kind of political statement, I think I may go there as I would think that there will be very few people there and that any supply they have will be sufficient.
kavika411 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:14 PM   #4
dagger55
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavika411 View Post
Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up, dagger55. However, I'm rethinking my strategy altogether. I think that places near schools - Samford/Lakeshore, Brookwood Mall/Homewood and Mountain Brook - will be swamped. I just called a store in Fairfield off 20/59 in a not-as-safe part of town. Without making any kind of political statement, I think I may go there as I would think that there will be very few people there and that any supply they have will be sufficient.
I know several people who will be hitting the Cingular stores in Trussville up... I believe there two stores with a half mile of each other...

I'll either be at the Auburn ATT store, or I'm thinking about making the 20 minute drive over into Georgia (and the Eastern Time Zone) so I can get it an hour early
dagger55 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:19 PM   #5
kavika411
Banned

Belt clip ... $30. Monthly data plan ... $45. iPhone ... $500. Driving to Georgia to get an iPhone one hour early ... priceless.
kavika411 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:21 PM   #6
dagger55
macrumors regular

Quote:
Belt clip ... $30. Monthly data plan ... $45. iPhone ... $500. Driving to Georgia to get an iPhone one hour early ... priceless.
im glad we see it the same way
dagger55 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:22 PM   #7
loudestnoise
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to loudestnoise Send a message via Skype™ to loudestnoise
Quote:
So apparently you have changed your mind? Great idea by the way. Although you should probably include the price of gas in your faux Mastercard commercial there

P.S. I dont know why I'm compelled to read threads about people waiting for iPhone in other cities/states, yes the first step is admitting there is a problem
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:33 PM   #8
raptor96
macrumors regular

I really have nothing to contribute to this thread except - War Eagle! and since I transferred from UAB: Go Blazers! Oh and good luck getting your phones. If I was in AU I'd definitely go to ATL seeing as how it's closer than BHM and there's likely to be more supply. Or I'd go to like West Point or something and go to the Cingular store there.
raptor96 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:42 PM   #9
dagger55
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor96 View Post
I really have nothing to contribute to this thread except - War Eagle! and since I transferred from UAB: Go Blazers! Oh and good luck getting your phones. If I was in AU I'd definitely go to ATL seeing as how it's closer than BHM and there's likely to be more supply. Or I'd go to like West Point or something and go to the Cingular store there.
Ha im not planning on going to ATL...

I just may make the 20 minute drive over to Columbus
dagger55 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:48 PM   #10
raptor96
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger55 View Post
Ha im not planning on going to ATL...

I just may make the 20 minute drive over to Columbus
Yeah that's a good idea. I'm fairly certain that there's a AT&T corporate store in Valley/West Point, so that would be just over the border and a little closer if you like. Plus, not to be a jerk, but I doubt sales in the West Point area will be too brisk, so you may be able to just walk in and pick one up without a wait. Now that I think about it though that may be a T-Mo corporate store....hmm.
raptor96 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:53 PM   #11
kavika411
Banned

It'll just be me and Raptor96 at that West Point store. I used to go out that way when there was a Ticketmaster outlet to get tickets when they'd go on sale. There was never a line. I think the worst places to be will be (1) the Apple Store, (2) the At&T store at Brookwood mall, and (3) the AT&T store at the Galleria. They could have one million for sale at the Galleria but I ain't getting anywhere near that place Friday.
kavika411 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:37 PM   #12
rjphoto
macrumors 6502a

Good Luck

I'm just going to sit on the side lines and watch this one unfold here in b'Ham...

1. too broke to buy the phone.
2. locked into Verizon for a while longer (and not just because of the contract.)

I may go by and hang out at the Summit just to see how the crowd is handled...assuming there will be one...only one person so far on this forum has said anything about getting an iPhone in B'Ham. (just kidding, I know it's going to be wild).

Maybe I can post some photos of the crowd...
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:23 PM   #13
uaaerospace
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I really have nothing to contribute to this thread except - War Eagle!
Ohhh phooey!
uaaerospace is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:36 PM   #14
raptor96
macrumors regular

Quote:
It'll just be me and Raptor96 at that West Point store. I used to go out that way when there was a Ticketmaster outlet to get tickets when they'd go on sale. There was never a line. I think the worst places to be will be (1) the Apple Store, (2) the At&T store at Brookwood mall, and (3) the AT&T store at the Galleria. They could have one million for sale at the Galleria but I ain't getting anywhere near that place Friday.
Haha, actually you'll be all alone at West Point. I'm up in RI for the summer + poor and locked into T-Mobile so there's no iphone-getting for me. I think the Galleria should never be visited, no exceptions. When I lived in B'ham I always went to the Summit if I HAD to go to the mall.

I may stop by the Apple store on Friday in Providence to see what the madness is like :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaaerospace View Post
Ohhh phooey!
Haha! Well gotta support where you're from :-).
raptor96 is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:56 PM   #15
dagger55
macrumors regular

change of plans...

I'll be in Birmingham on friday
iOS Mobile Developer
dagger55 is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2007, 07:54 AM   #16
kavika411
Banned

So, dagger. Where will you be going in Birmngham to get your iPhone?
kavika411 is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:39 AM   #17
dagger55
macrumors regular

Quote:
So, dagger. Where will you be going in Birmngham to get your iPhone?
I'll most likely be in Trussville at one of the Cingular stores....

Although I might be over at the Lakeshore store because my buddy bought a Blackjack less than 30 days ago, so he is going to trade it in and he bought it from there
iOS Mobile Developer
dagger55 is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:53 AM   #18
kavika411
Banned

I've decided on the Fairfield store. I expect it to have one of the lowest turnouts, although by posting this, I may be wrong.
kavika411 is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 08:54 AM   #19
CellPhoneJunkie
macrumors newbie

My bosses will have two interns standing in line for them at the Summit.

I'm thinking I might go personally, though, because then I could use my gold Amex and double the warranty.
CellPhoneJunkie is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:21 AM   #20
rjphoto
macrumors 6502a

I read somewhere yesterday that the AT&T stores were going to limit you to one phone per customer but at the Apple Store it would be two per customer...if that matters to anyone.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:31 AM   #21
kavika411
Banned

I just stopped by the Fairfield store (around 10:00 a.m.). There was no one there but a cop is already stationed there for the day. He and the salesperson said that Roebuck already has a line. The salesperson agreed with me that Fairfield is probably the best choice. She expects that if other stores sell out, that they will send those customers to Fairfield. I hope to get mine there and then immediately drive over to the Apple store to witness the excitement/carnage first hand.
kavika411 is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:26 PM   #22
rek2005
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yeah that's a good idea. I'm fairly certain that there's a AT&T corporate store in Valley/West Point, so that would be just over the border and a little closer if you like. Plus, not to be a jerk, but I doubt sales in the West Point area will be too brisk, so you may be able to just walk in and pick one up without a wait. Now that I think about it though that may be a T-Mo corporate store....hmm.
I live in Lanett (like a mile away form West Point) and there are no Cingular/ATT stores here. Only T-Mobile. I'm going to Auburn and hopefully get it. HOPEFULLY.
rek2005 is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:26 PM   #23
kavika411
Banned

I just went by the Apple Store (around noon) and it appeared there were about twenty or so people in line, and that it was beginning to grow quickly.
kavika411 is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:48 PM   #24
rjphoto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I just went by the Apple Store (around noon) and it appeared there were about twenty or so people in line, and that it was beginning to grow quickly.
Let the PARTY begin....

Anyone in line on-line???
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:43 PM   #25
ajohns
macrumors newbie

I am a reporter with the Anniston Star (obviously in Anniston, AL) and I am blogging about the iPhone launch in this area.
If anyone is interested feel free to take a look at the blog. I'll update periodically.
-Andy
ajohns@annistonstar.com
ajohns is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups