Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups

Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:14 PM   #1
applehappy
macrumors regular

iPhone Purchasers: Honolulu, HI

Anybody got a game plan for getting an iPhone in Honolulu? Campers?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 09:44 PM   #2
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Aloha applehappy,

I will be going to the Ala Moana Apple store sometime around 4:00PM. I work on the base at Schofield Barracks and will be working from 7:00AM until 3:00PM, so I should be able to make it to Ala Moana by 4:00PM. My wife offered to save a place for me in line.

Are you going to Ala Moana or Kahala Mall? I expect a long line, but am not really sure, as there aren't a lot of Hawaii Mac users on this forum (from what I can tell).

Of course, all of this is contingent upon the pricing plans offeed by AT&T. I really can't see my wife buying off on an additional $35-$45/mo., if that is indeed the actual data plan price. We'll find out in the next few days, however. Drop me a line at: HawaiiMacAddict@gmail.com and let me know where you're going to be and let's see if we can meet up.

HawaiiMacAddict
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0
Old Jun 27, 2007, 04:58 PM   #3
noservice2001
macrumors regular

wouldn't you think that cingular/at&t stores would be a safer bet? maybe break up you to apple, and your wife to a cingular store?
noservice2001 is offline   0
Old Jun 27, 2007, 06:14 PM   #4
applehappy
macrumors regular

I'm not positive what I'll be doing yet. I'd prefer the Apple store experience, so might go to Ala Moana. But, I've talked to a few Cingular stores and the Ala Moana Apple store and they have all been swamped with people asking questions and indicating they will be in line early. I am going to try to scope a few Cingular stores out in the early afternoon (gonna leave work then) and if they are looking ugly I'll head to Ala Moana. Just b/c I think the Apple store there will by far get the most on the island.
I'll drop you an email if I find out for sure what's up. I'm hoping the stores have an idea about numbers onhand by lunch on Friday.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:15 AM   #5
foady
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to foady Send a message via Yahoo to foady
Not sure what I'll be doing yet but I took Friday afternoon off of work. I am leaning towards Ala Moana.
foady is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:27 PM   #6
HNL-CFI
macrumors newbie

National Holiday

I convinced my employer Friday was a national holiday. You know, iPhone day. So I'm thinking go down to the AT&T store late morning with my beach chair, cooler, some poke, and MacBook and see what the free WiFi situation is. Perhaps bring the ClearWire and AirPort Express and set up a little hotspot in the parking lot if needed.

Now I'm sure that the AT&T stores will get far fewer than the Apple stores...but with only two Apple stores on the island it sure would seem this is where the masses will congregate, so I'm putting my money on AT&T.

But if the turnout on this forum is any indication, perhaps it will be a non-event. Hopefully the high price tag and 2-year commitment will scare off the amateurs so there plenty left for us hard core mac addicts!
HNL-CFI is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 03:34 AM   #7
foady
macrumors newbie

When I told my co-workers what I'll be doing on Friday, they were like... this is HI... you'll be there by yourself. But what do they know?!?
foady is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:08 AM   #8
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I worked an extra half-hour on Wednesday and made an arrangement with my supervisor to go into work one hour early and skip lunch, so I'll be able to leave at 2:30PM That way, I should be able to get (from Schofield Barracks) to the Ala Moana Apple Store by 3:30PM, depending on traffic of course

I thought of asking my wife to drop by the Cingular uh AT&T Store down by Sears, but she's not been feeling well the last couple of days, so I'll probably just call them up on the phone before I leave work to find out if a line has formed. I still think that the Apple stores will have much greater stock of iPhones, so that's why I'll probably still end up going there, even with the longer lines and two iPhones per customer policy.

I still can't believe that iDay is FINALLY HERE !!!!!

HawaiiMacAddict
Old Jun 29, 2007, 04:22 PM   #9
hozman911
macrumors newbie

Aloha,

I plan to do a Waipahu, Pearl City, Kalihi AT&T drive-by at 4:00pm on my way to the Ala Moana Apple Store. Hopefully, one of these AT&T locations will have a really short line.
hozman911 is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 04:45 PM   #10
HNL-CFI
macrumors newbie

Drive-by

I am trying to plan my departure to minimize time spent waiting in hot sun..thought I'd do a driveby here in a bit, will post my findings on the forum.

Rumors are that people are lining up at Kahala Mall, which might not be a bad place to line up, given,
1) air conditioning
2) free WiFi
3) power outlets
4) proximity to food and refreshment

Maybe I'll drive by there as well and let you guys know.
HNL-CFI is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 05:50 PM   #11
irun5k
macrumors 6502

so many choices

Now I know why everyone here on Kauai is against the Superferry- they were actually scared it would be in service and all you guys would take the ferry from Oahu and overwhelm the Lihue AT&T store! If there is a line at this store, I might just fall over dead in disbelief.

Anyway, I heard at Christmas the Apple store at Ala Moana was a crazy place with iPods almost literally flying off the shelfs. So, while I don't think it will be quite like NYC, I don't expect that it will be a ghost town either- there is definitely demand. Good luck!
irun5k is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 08:21 PM   #12
noservice2001
macrumors regular

only a few more hours till its released here, ive decided to go to mililani's AT&T and if i'm SOL then head to alaz apple store, maybe... wish me luck, and good luck to y'all.... but only cuz you're a MR reader
Old Jun 29, 2007, 08:29 PM   #13
foady
macrumors newbie

As of an hour ago, the Ala Moana Apple Store line went from the entrance to Macy's.
foady is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:16 PM   #14
boxandrew
macrumors member

I still remember a few months ago when the Apple Store in Kahala opened. Anyone else see that? The line was huge and they didn't even have any new products being released. I wouldn't be surprised if the line at Ala Moana got a lot longer in the next hour and a bit...

Edit: Thinking about it, that's not much of a prediction, right?

Last edited by boxandrew; Jun 29, 2007 at 09:37 PM.
boxandrew is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2007, 02:50 AM   #15
irun5k
macrumors 6502

No iPhone for me. The Lihue AT&T store had 40 total which sold out quick enough to make people think that there was actually less than that (or perhaps they went to friends and family first.)

Hope you guys on Oahu were able to get yours.
irun5k is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2007, 05:08 AM   #16
noservice2001
macrumors regular

so i stood in line at at&t, the bloody ran out right in front of me... as a conscellation, i got an at&t cup.... yay! then i put my name down and i should get it in a week or 2..... according to apple.com 3-4week? ok, whatever... i call apple in alaz... they're like, we got some.... i ate din first figuring they'd just run out again... they didn't....cuz i called again at almost 9pm i left at 9:30pm and they had a choke load still.... so sorry to the outer isle guys... take the superferry, it'll prob. get here faster than the ordered iphone via mail.... btw, all the activation people are sleeping... why does hawaii always get ****ted on? its torture...... i wanna play with it already

/end rant

edit.... i'd estimate the at&t had 40, incl the 4 and 8 gigz.... i'd estimate the apple store had 1000..... on the news, peeps were wrappin' around macy and what not....
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:23 PM   #17
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

I was able to leave work early and found that my wife was saving a place for me in line. She got there at 1:30 and we were out of the store at 6:30. I could've probably waited until 7:00 and simply walked into the store. They had PLENTY of stock.

HawaiiMacAddict
Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:04 PM   #18
scratchyvinyl
macrumors newbie

Lined up at the Kahala Apple Store at 1pm on Friday. About 50 people were ahead of me, and by the time 6pm came around, at least a hundred more were behind. Got my phone at around 6:30, and had it synced and activated by 7:45 that night.

A friend who lined up for me at a nearby AT&T store said that they made customers activate their phone in-store, or at least perform a credit check there. That was why the line didn't move fast, and on top of that, those stores generally didn't get a lot of phones.

In any case, it lives up to the hype! Great gadget and well worth the wait.
scratchyvinyl is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2007, 03:02 PM   #19
pdxrhayes
macrumors newbie

Does Oahu have decent coverage? How about Kailua?

I checked the ATT coverage map, but it sucked, and I would rather hear from the horses mouth.

Mahalo.
pdxrhayes is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2007, 05:28 PM   #20
Joshua8o8
macrumors 6502

I was just about to finish a good size post on this topic but safari crashed anyways, basically, i get good coverage every where i go. I have not been anywhere that did not have less than four out of five bars. And i have been around lately. I live in Hawaii-Kai, but recently ive been to aiea, alwea heights, and i just got back from kona on thursday. I had perfect reception there as well. I have not been to kailua recently though. I had nextel before i switched to at&t and i can honestly say that this is way better. I cam head people really clearly when they call me, and everyone says they can hear me a lot better now as well. Also theres no more " please hold while the nextel subsriber you are trying to reach is being located." Im happy with at&t and my iphone. I would definetly reccommend the iphone and at&t to my family and friends!
Joshua8o8 is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:53 AM   #21
Maui

The North Shore can be dicey, but that is true with any phone. Other than that, coverage has been great, on Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Hilo side (haven't tried Kona yet).
Maui is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups