Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1
tfish
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Powerbook Now Macbook Pro Later

I am a college engineering student and currently have an hp laptop. Windows is starting to "grind my gears" as they say. I recently reinstalled and Windows runs fine but I know that in a few months I will have to perform cleaning again. I began to look around ebay, craigslist and mac websites to buy a Powerbook G4 superdrive. I was then either going to keep it or sell it and then definitely get a macbook pro around christmas with leopard. I was first wondering if I should just wait and get a macbook when leopard comes out or get a powerbook now and get used to the mac osx. I am just unsure of how much I should look to pay for a used G4 and what would be the best configuration of powerbook. Thanks for any help/tips.

tfish
tfish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Agent Smith
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
If you are going to get an MBP anyway, you might as well get it now. You'll be able to learn the OS, and it will be perfectly capable of running Leopard when it's released in October. As people say in these sorts of posts, if you need it now, get it now.
__________________
Agent Smith: The great Morpheus. We meet at last.
Morpheus: And you are?
Agent Smith: A Smith. Agent Smith.
Agent Smith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:05 PM   #3
tfish
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
The thing is I don't have the money right now to buy a mbpro. I have around $700 to spend and thought a powerbook would be suitable for now.
tfish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 07:24 PM   #4
iW00t
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Defenders of Apple Guild
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfish View Post
The thing is I don't have the money right now to buy a mbpro. I have around $700 to spend and thought a powerbook would be suitable for now.
Get girls with your own charms and instead rely on a used Macbook.

Good bang for the dollar.
iW00t is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:20 PM   #5
hhlee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2005
i'd go with a macbook pro if i were you - especially if you're looking to get a few years use out of it.

i know how it is to just want to do your work and not worry about fixing up windows all the time...

if you really want to buy a powerbook g4, i have a 15'' i'd be willing to part with for about 650.
hhlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:20 PM   #6
tristan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Just a data point: I will be selling my 15" 1.67Ghz 2GB/80GB/SD PBG4 locally in several weeks and expect to get $900 or so. It has 17 months of Applecare left. It's a somewhat outdated system, but still great for non-CPU intensive tasks like surfing, mail, word processing, etc. You wouldn't use it for desktop publishing, video editing, etc.

I don't think the MB is a great system. I know a lot of people like it, but I think the screen and keyboard is a little cheap and wouldn't want it as my primary computer. Of course, I'm used to PBs, so I'm spoiled... But take a look at it in the Apple Store, and see if you agree.

For you, I would recommend waiting until you could afford a refurb CD MBP. The Apple store was selling them for $1300 to $1400 recently and I got one for $1425. You would still need more RAM + Applecare. You will always want Applecare on your primary computer.
__________________

Index Roll: Indexing on Steroids
tristan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new macbook pro can't last more than 3-4 hours MathiasLa MacBook Pro 33 Nov 21, 2011 03:55 AM
Buy a new MacBook Pro now or wait? alex-dlc MacBook Pro 27 Jul 14, 2011 06:13 PM
Macbook pro 13" + External Monitor vs. Macbook pro 15" lakkadshaw Buying Tips and Advice 21 Apr 16, 2011 08:38 PM
Just a Question about Next Gen Macbook Pro (not a whether to buy now or not) macnerd123 MacBook Air 7 Dec 20, 2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC