Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 26, 2007, 04:05 AM   #1
tango554
macrumors member

iBook g4 Selling advice. Help!?

I bought my mbp and am no longer in need of my 12" ibook g4. I've cleaned it up nice and shiny and I want to sell it but am not 100% sure I took all the right steps to get the highest price and to make sure I give someone a perfect system. Here's everything:
Specs: 12" iBook G4 800Ghz, 640MB ram, 60HD, Airport express, 24x combo drive. New HD installed about a little over a year ago and new battery in January. The CD-rom drive sticks a bit when inserting and ejecting discs, but is perfectly functional. Besides minor expected cosmetic damage, everything works 100%.

So far, I formatted the HD and installed OSX. When I turn the computer on, it goes to the welcome screen and asks to register OSX.

A few questions:
1. I got the copy of OSX from my ADC membership. Can I still install OSX on my other macs, even if the buyer registers with apple?

2. Do I need to take anymore steps for OSX to work? register with my name, or with generic names, etc?

3. How much can I expect on ebay? Or is ebay not the best place to sell?

4. What else should I do to prepare it for sale?

5. Any other advice would be much appreciated!
tango554 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 04:23 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Reformat it with the discs it came with to avoid any licensing issues you might run into with the ADC. The discs should then be given to the new owner, alongside the machine.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:40 AM   #3
aquajet
macrumors 68020

I would take the extra step and format the hard drive with the "write zeros to disk" option selected. It'll take a bit longer but will make it impossible for an unscrupulous buyer to mine your drive for information. You never know...
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 01:32 PM   #4
jonaseriksson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajet View Post
I would take the extra step and format the hard drive with the "write zeros to disk" option selected. It'll take a bit longer but will make it impossible for an unscrupulous buyer to mine your drive for information. You never know...
time will seriously pass when using the "write zeros" option.
jonaseriksson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:13 AM   #5
eldino
macrumors member

I'd pay max 200 for it, including Mac OS X disc of course.
eldino is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs