Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
great idea for you guys, since this IS a PHONE first. how about when at the home screen, turn the phone to landscape, and the old school phone pad automatically opens! i think this would be a nice software update, someone get the word to them lol.

aria505

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
That brings up a good point that hasn't been covered in any of the reviews yet.

I know a lot of people have been wondering if the keyboard expands to landscape mode if turned on its side. Since we haven't heard anything about this then I'm guessing it doesn't.

But what happens when you are browsing a website in landscape mode and you click in a text box? Does the keyboard come siding out of the side of the iPhone laying on its side, and you are forced to turn the iPhone into portrait mode?

I guess all these forum questions won't get answered until the real Mac freaks get ahold of the device on friday.

Furgster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2007

I know a lot of people have been wondering if the keyboard expands to landscape mode if turned on its side. Since we haven't heard anything about this then I'm guessing it doesn't.

But what happens when you are browsing a website in landscape mode and you click in a text box? Does the keyboard come siding out of the side of the iPhone laying on its side, and you are forced to turn the iPhone into portrait mode?

I guess all these forum questions won't get answered until the real Mac freaks get ahold of the device on friday.

ya i wonder what it will be like

zelman

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004

In a recent video review, the iPhone was turned on its side and flipped around to show all the ports and dimensions. From the home screen this did absolutely nothing.

Asar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
In a recent video review, the iPhone was turned on its side and flipped around to show all the ports and dimensions. From the home screen this did absolutely nothing.

yes, i seen this same video.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Asar, thanks, I've been looking for whose idea this was!!!

Here's what I'm thinking:
You turn to landscape mode and the center section becomes the keypad (press one number for speed dialing just like on every other phone). Maybe throw in a button for voice dialing (less important). On the left you have a section with your most recently dialed calls, with most recently received calls on the other side.

If Apple implemented this, suddenly almost every call you want to make is a single button push away. If it's going to be a phone, make it work for actual phone use!!!

Here's my VERY rough draft picture: click here

photo

Probably one obvious improvement would be to have buttons going across the bottom on the sides so you could get to the different list available in the other call section.

Edit: could someone post the image to this thread, I'm not quite sure how to make it show up reliably.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Doesn't look like too many are reading this particular corner of the forum, so I'm also posting my ideas over on this thread, but for anyone reading this thread, please have a look at my second stab at a mockup of Asar's beautiful idea.

Such a problem, with so many people posting in the main iPhone forum, a good idea can't get any exposure. If you like this idea, post on the other thread to say so, so that this thing may reach a critical mass. If enough people start talking about it/demanding it, it would be easy as pie for Apple to implement in an upcoming software release (as a developer, trust me, this would be like fewer than 20 man hours now that they already have it implemented elsewhere). Ok, maybe that's a bit of an exageration, but I think other developers would agree, this kind of thing would be pretty easy at this point.

Asar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
wow, great vision there. looks good on the phone. the missed call thing is a wonderful idea. come on apple! :D hey, they should pay us with free iphones lol

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
wow, great vision there. looks good on the phone. the missed call thing is a wonderful idea. come on apple! :D hey, they should pay us with free iphones lol

Just being able to use the dang thing to make a call quicker would be plenty of payment for me!

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007

no...the keyboard works in landscape mode only in safari. it was in one of macrumors forums from one of the people that reviewed the iphone

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
no...the keyboard works in landscape mode only in safari. it was in one of macrumors forums from one of the people that reviewed the iphone

yesss. somebody who reads all the forums :)

anyway, from what i've read... it sounds like its easier to type when its in landscape mode. too bad the keyboard can't be used in landscape mode in other situations.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
great idea for you guys, since this IS a PHONE first. how about when at the home screen, turn the phone to landscape, and the old school phone pad automatically opens! i think this would be a nice software update, someone get the word to them lol.

I have a better idea for a real javascript whiz: rotary dialer for iPhone.

tromag321

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
landscape

if you are in the safari and already in landscape it puts the keyboard in landscape and is very easy to type on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.