Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1
stevemolitor
macrumors newbie

Microsoft Office Installation Problems on MacBook Pro

I'm having trouble installing MS Office 2004 on my new macbook pro. When I click on the setup assistant it says that MS Office is 'not supported' on this platform. When I try the drag-and-drop install method, it tells me it can't access my '.DSStore' and stops copying. I have used the same install CD to install on an intel mac book, but no luck with my new mac book pro.

Anyone else having this issues? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Steve
stevemolitor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 07:53 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Do you have the Office trial installed? Even if it's in your Trash, it can still mess with your installation.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 07:56 PM   #3
iDive
macrumors member

I've installed Office 2004 on my new SR MBP half an hour ago with no problems...
iDive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:43 PM   #4
mainomega
macrumors regular

Before trying to install Office I read about all the problems with the uninstall process. Both times (17" 2.33and 2.4) I made sure every trace of the trial was gone and then I installed Office. There is a tool included with Office that should help remove all traces, use that and start again.
mainomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 05:16 PM   #5
stevemolitor
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainomega View Post
Before trying to install Office I read about all the problems with the uninstall process. Both times (17" 2.33and 2.4) I made sure every trace of the trial was gone and then I installed Office. There is a tool included with Office that should help remove all traces, use that and start again.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that; still no luck. I never installed the test drive, but I removed the demo folder and emptied my trash; still no luck.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

Steve - are you installing Office for Mac on OS X or are you installing MS Office to run under Bootcamp / Parallel / ?

I have Office for Mac running on my MBP 15" 2.33 and many other Macs w/o any problems.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:25 PM   #7
stevemolitor
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
Steve - are you installing Office for Mac on OS X or are you installing MS Office to run under Bootcamp / Parallel / ?

I have Office for Mac running on my MBP 15" 2.33 and many other Macs w/o any problems.
I'm trying to install Office for Mac on my MBP 15" 2.4. It installed just fine on my MB 2.0 gighz (intel) and older powerbooks. It is an older install CD.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:41 PM   #8
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

steve - just a thought. You could re-install your OS via the dvd and select the custom install where the MS Office trial is NOT even installed to begin with. That allows you to also de-select drivers and other stuff you will probably not use. Then run repair disk permissions from disk utility. Then try to install MS Office again - may work - may not.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:35 PM   #9
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Make sure you've got no remnants of Office installed anywhere on your system. Even though the disc won't allow you to drag Office to the Applications folder, can you drag it from the CD to the Desktop or some other folder? Hopefully reinstalling OSX won't be necessary.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro