Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I have a 500mhz Ibook (ice) and just finished taking it completely apart to test the speakers, which are fine. They put NO audio out at all from the book, but do fine with another source of audio, but if I use the headphone jack out to an external set of speakers the ibook works perfectly putting out audio.

What do you think is the issue?

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
DSCN1173.jpg

DSCN1172.jpg

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
They put NO audio out at all from the book, but do fine with another source of audio,

Can you explain this part a little more? when they "do fine", do you mean that you're hooking up the speakers to a totally separate amp outside the iBook, or does some kind of passthrough work through the iBook?

If it's that the iBook never can power the speakers, the first thing I would wonder about is a stuck/bent bypass switch inside the headphone port. If you have a meter handy, poke around for a short.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Correct, the speakers do not work in the book. They do however pass a working test- unrelated to the book.

I'll peek in the jack and see if it looks clear. Thank you.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I took the book apart for the 12TH TIME since 8 pm last night and removed the phone jack, broke it down, re-bent the tabs to make the proper closed connections, and BAM! audio :)

FYI to anyone with audio issues, it may not be the logic board. Best way to tell is if it says headphones. It would say internal speakers in the sound tab rather than headphones if the headphone jack is not activated.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
By the way, thank you iMeowbot. You nailed it right on the head. It needed to be re-bent back out so it would make connection with the other tab across from it and close the circuit. :)

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I wanted to upload this pic for everyone else. If your internal speakers say "headphone" your jack tabs are open.

The tab on the right should come completely over to touch the one on the left to close the circuit. Trying to bend it over with a small hook pic is not really effective as it needs to be bent PAST the point of contact so it will go at least that far to create pressure. You'll have to pull the whole book apart and desolder the jack, remove it and pull it apart also.

If you really want a quick fix, cut a jack plug off your old headphones and use a volt meter to see which two wires those two tabs are and jump them together on the cut headphone plug.

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.