Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 12, 2003, 04:53 PM   #1
mangoman
macrumors 6502a

Question Bizarre OWC Mercury Extreme Problem

Installed an OWC 1.4GHz upgrade daughtercard last week. Running great. Then, these past couple days, I've started getting the grey crash/"You need to restart" screen off and on. Then this afternoon, couldn't get the machine to fully boot without seeing that screen -- even when I was booted from the Jaguar CD! Talk about frustrating. So, in short, I shut down, opened the box, and it seemed that the board was not snapped in all the way. Would a daughtercard being slightly loose on the connector cause this kind of problem? Since tightening things up in there, I've been able to restart (obviously... here I am, right?)

I'd love to know your thoughts/experience/expertise on this one. Thanks in advance to anyone with insight.

mangoman
mangoman is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2003, 06:52 PM   #2
praetorian_x
Banned

I can't be much help, but I am considering the 1.4 Ghz + GeForce4MX upgrade combo from OWC, and I was wondering if you could tell me what your speed experience with the upgrade is.

I have an old g4 400 with a non-QE rage 128 in it, and I'm wondering what the upgrade experience will feel like. I'm concerned that the 100 Mhz FSB will limit the upgrade quite a bit.

What's your experience?

Thanks, and good luck with the grey screen of death.

Cheers,
prat
praetorian_x is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2003, 07:01 PM   #3
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
Quote:
Originally posted by praetorian_x
Cheers,
prat
LOL, sorry for offtopic, that just made me laugh.
Wes is offline   0
Old Jul 13, 2003, 07:06 PM   #4
Nermal

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes
LOL, sorry for offtopic, that just made me laugh.
Same here!

Anyway, back on topic, yes, having the card not connected properly could cause all sorts of "interesting" problems. You've got it working fine now?
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2003, 08:43 AM   #5
mangoman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by Nermal
...You've got it working fine now?
Sort of. Still getting the occassional kernal panic. The ball's in OWC's court... sounds like they might want to exchange the card.

*sigh* Frustrating...
mangoman is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers