Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
My grandfather would like to buy his first computer to model human figures so he can carve them. I have him priced at about $400-$500 for a used computer and a used copy of Poser 4 by Curious Labs. At first, I was thinking of getting him an Indigo iMac G3, 400 MHz. However, I was wondering if anyone could give advice as to if this would suit him. This would be his first computer purchase (they gave him a Dell at work and he quit his job over it) and as such he isn't looking for anything special.

The iMac more than exceedes the specs for the program (PM with 32 Megs of RAM, OS 8.6 or higher) but I don't want to get this and hear him complain that he's waiting around for 20 minutes at a time waiting for things to render and adjust.

Does anyone have experience with the program? Is the Indigo a well suited machine or should I try to get him in something better?

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
Nah, all I've got is a Duo. Didn't see the demo. I'll have to go find it.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
poser will run just fine on a 400mhz G3 iMac. we used to play around with it at school on some old iMacs and poser was pretty fast. and fast enough for simple models. it actually quick renders in a flash. when a model is moved or posed, the model is drawn in boxes, and as soon as it is done being posed, it does a quick-render into a more true looking model. exporting single frames in full quality is also quite fast.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
Cool. Thaks guys. He should have it soon. I hope it goes better than his work computer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.