Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Scan Multiple Pages into a single TIFF/PDF file? Chalk one-up for Windows over Mac?NO

As subject says, is it possible to scan multiple page scans into a single TIFF file?

And, can i do this as a PDF rather than a TIFF file instead?

I couldn't see how to do this with Image Capture.

THANKS!

Last edited by WannaGoMac; Jun 28, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
WannaGoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6

If you have an Epson scanner you can download the scan utility and make multi-page PDF's
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:10 PM   #3
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
If you have an Epson scanner you can download the scan utility and make multi-page PDF's
No it is a Brother printer & scanner unit DCP7020
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:41 PM   #4
theBB
macrumors 68020

Do you want multiple pages on one wide page, or is it OK if you scan pages one by one and then use an app such as CombinePDF to merge them into a multiple page document?

BTW, some scanners have that ability built-in. My Canon for one, but it is not Mac compatible.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:42 PM   #5
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
Do you want multiple pages on one wide page, or is it OK if you scan pages one by one and then use an app such as CombinePDF to merge them into a multiple page document?

BTW, some scanners have that ability built-in. My Canon for one, but it is not Mac compatible.
Want to scan multiple pages and have them be in a single multiple page document.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:48 PM   #6
spinne1
macrumors 6502a

I don't know about how to scan them into a single pdf, but if you want to scan each page as a separate pdf and then merge them into one pdf file, this should be able to do it:

http://www.malcom-mac.com/blog/pdfmergex/
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:55 PM   #7
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinne1 View Post
I don't know about how to scan them into a single pdf, but if you want to scan each page as a separate pdf and then merge them into one pdf file, this should be able to do it:

http://www.malcom-mac.com/blog/pdfmergex/
But Image Capture doesn't support PDF? It only lists TIFF, PNG, JPEG. Do I need to install something so Image Capture will scan to PDFs, or just convert?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:04 AM   #8
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Chalk one up for Windows

Well, very disappointing as Windows does this without extra software. I found http://www.scantango.com

So, in Windows this functionality is included in the built-in scanner software. On the Mac I have to pay for it???
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:15 AM   #9
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Actually, there's a clever little trick you can use to make muti-page PDFs out of scanned documents. First, scan in all the images - the format you use isn't terribly important for the purposes of this technique (TIFF is just fine, if that's what you're using). Once all the images are assembled, open TextEdit. Open each image in Preview, copy it, and paste it into TextEdit. Then, print the resulting document to a PDF. Presto, multi-page PDF without having to pay for special software
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:17 AM   #10
bigus7674
macrumors member

multi-page PDF

guess we should start by asking...how many pages is this PDF going to be?

the short answer is: if you have Acrobat Professional (not sure if this option is available in the free reader download) just scan the pages separately as individual .tif images. Then open Acrobat and go to file / create PDF / from multiple files and then select the individual .tif files in the order you'd like them in the PDF.

if you happen to get the order wrong when selecting the files, don't worry. to the left is the "arrange files" option of selecting the file and choosing to remove, move up or move down.

this info is based on the version of Acrobat that I am currently using which is Acrobat 7 Professional. Hope this helps(?)
bigus7674 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:18 AM   #11
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

I recall there being an automator action that would combine pages of .pdfs. All you'd have to do is drop the .pdfs onto the automator icon and it would combine them and output the new file. Perhaps someone can help out with locating that.

I'll stop being lazy: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50531161844203
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:21 AM   #12
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefirst View Post
I recall there being an automator action that would combine pages of .pdfs. All you'd have to do is drop the .pdfs onto the automator icon and it would combine them and output the new file. Perhaps someone can help out with locating that.

I'll stop being lazy: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50531161844203
Found it: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...mbinepdfs.html
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:21 AM   #13
nplima
macrumors 6502a

when I need to do this, regardless of using my Mac, Linux or Windows box, I scan each page to an image file and place it on a separate page on Openoffice.org Impress (or Draw). Then I save it all to PDF.

Of course, I'm talking about scanning invoices and single page documents, not books or 150 pages on a tray
nplima is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:33 AM   #14
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies!

Let me try some today.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:40 AM   #15
glp
macrumors newbie

Do you have a modem?

When I want to scan multiple pages into a PDF, I use my Mac's built-in FAX modem. The software can be configured using the system preferences to email me a PDF file of the document it receives. I simply connect my computer to the phone line, and FAX the document to myself.

The quality will be lower than using your scanner system, but has been sufficient for anything I have needed.
glp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:43 AM   #16
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by glp View Post
When I want to scan multiple pages into a PDF, I use my Mac's built-in FAX modem. The software can be configured using the system preferences to email me a PDF file of the document it receives. I simply connect my computer to the phone line, and FAX the document to myself.

The quality will be lower than using your scanner system, but has been sufficient for anything I have needed.
Quality is semi-important due to it's for business document permanent records.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:54 AM   #17
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Well the problem is that I am scanning like 30 page documents. Doing an image shuffle is kinda a pain with so many pages to move into TextEdit etc...

Any other ideas?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:06 AM   #18
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoMac View Post
Well the problem is that I am scanning like 30 page documents. Doing an image shuffle is kinda a pain with so many pages to move into TextEdit etc...

Any other ideas?
Use a pair of automator actions - the multi-page PDF one I linked to in an earlier post together with http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...converter.html to convert all the images to PDF files.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:08 AM   #19
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:

Any other ideas?
Make sure you have the latest drivers. I just checked the brother site and they recently released a new TWAIN driver for the 7020.

As for using Image Capture to scan in, it'll work. After scanning in all of the pages, you can use something like PDFLab to combine the individual pages into a single PDF file. I'm pretty sure PDFLab will allow you to convert TIFF, PNG, and JPEGs to PDFs, but if it doesn't, it's just one additional step (x30).

Open the scanned image in Preview and "Save As..." a PDF file. Then use PDFLab to combine the 30 pdfs into a single file.

Keep in mind that these PDF files will be huge since the source was essentially a "photo". I think it would be the same on the windows side as well. If you want compressed files, you probably need to shell out for the Adobe product (I think it's Distiller).

ft

BTW, it looks like the Brother 7020 comes with the Presto software. Does that scan documents as PDFs? Maybe it's configured to scan multiple documents into a single file.

If so, it would save time on your end.

Last edited by ftaok; Jun 28, 2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: additional info
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:14 AM   #20
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

Quote:
Well, very disappointing as Windows does this without extra software.
Windows can scan into PDF without Acrobat (or other third party software)? Is that a Vista thing?
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:54 PM   #21
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Good news!

Turns out the Brother "control center" software has an upgrade for the new MacOS that I need to download. The CSR said it will control the scanner and will handle scanning multiple page documents into single files!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 08:58 PM   #22
WhiskeySour
macrumors newbie

Multiple pages into one pdf file

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
Actually, there's a clever little trick you can use to make muti-page PDFs out of scanned documents. First, scan in all the images - the format you use isn't terribly important for the purposes of this technique (TIFF is just fine, if that's what you're using). Once all the images are assembled, open TextEdit. Open each image in Preview, copy it, and paste it into TextEdit. Then, print the resulting document to a PDF. Presto, multi-page PDF without having to pay for special software
Greetings. I am trying to copy a series of typewritten letters, written at different dates and varying from one to 3 pages, into one pdf file. I have tried the system indicated by wrldwzrd89. I pasted two separate pages into a TextEdit document as a test, and then made a pdf file. However the resultant pdf file seemed to cut the two pages into portions and I would up with 5 pages on the pdf file, but because of the way they were cut up, it was not legible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
WhiskeySour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:33 PM   #23
Mescolito
macrumors newbie

I've asked the same thing many times, and just stumbled on a way to do it easily.

Scan your multiple pages to an image file, like .jpg, I know it's tedious, name them (optional) by page number, put them into an empty folder.

When you're done with all the scanning, open the folder, select all of them, open with: Preview.

Now, you should see one page, with a side bar containing all of the pages. (If they're not in order, you can drag and drop within the sidebar to reorder.) Select all of those (Or Command A)

Command P (Or Print)
In this window, you should see page one, and below that, make sure it says "Page 1 of XX"...this way you know you got 'em all, and it's your final opportunity to page through them all by clicking on the little arrows to make sure they're in the right order.

Click the PDF button
Save as PDF...

See if that helps
Mescolito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 07:45 AM   #24
jimev
macrumors newbie

Scanning multiple images/documents into a .pdf archive in Leopard.

Thanks to the folks in this thread; I've tried Mescalito's method, and it works like a charm. Now I can get rid of Paperport (Now a windows-only App.) to store my copies of account statements etc.
Now if only I could get my Visioneer Strobe Pro to work on the Mac I'd be a happy camper!
jimev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 05:29 AM   #25
amiga
macrumors 6502

Preview!

I did just this thing the otherday... (didn't scan but did combine images into one multi page document)

Scan your files in... what ever format. Select them all and open in preview, it opens a window with the first image large and thumbnais down the side, if I remember correctly you then select all the thumbnails with shift and go to print/save as PDF

Tadaa!!!!
amiga is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help