Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:45 AM   #1
PanMan
macrumors newbie

Does the iPhone work in Europe?

I know the phone will not be available in Europe yet, probably not before the very end of the year or early 2008? However, I do a lot of travelling all over the world, and particularly in Europe. I feel it would be a rather big negative for me, considering to purchase the phone this weekend, if it will not work in Europe and other parts of the world.

I just read an article from Norway stating that experts in that country do not think the iPhone will become available there at all! According to this article the configuration is too complicated for one of the local suppliers to invest the funds and resources to make it possible.

This seems to be a concern on other European countries too! And that being the case I may risk buying a phone which will never work in Europe? Somehow this does not seem right to me?

Does anyone have any comments on this?
PanMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:58 AM   #2
earnjam
macrumors 6502a

I read somewhere that it will work abroad, but I need to find the link.

I found it...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/questionsandanswers.html

"Can I use my iPhone internationally?
iPhone is a quad-band GSM phone and will work around the world. Before you travel, make sure that international dialing and roaming are enabled through AT&T and that the places you’re going offer GSM coverage. Visit AT&T help for more information."

Last edited by earnjam; Jun 28, 2007 at 10:59 AM. Reason: update
earnjam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:01 AM   #3
eddietr
macrumors 6502a

It will work with AT&T international roaming. Wherever AT&T has agreements, and subject to the roaming charges of course.

I'm hoping it works at least. I'll be in the UK and Germany in July with my iPhone.
eddietr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Fenir
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Fenir
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddietr View Post
It will work with AT&T international roaming. Wherever AT&T has agreements, and subject to the roaming charges of course.

I'm hoping it works at least. I'll be in the UK and Germany in July with my iPhone.
If I'm leaving the US this summer, and decide to take my iphone with me, what should i do? Depending on the amount of data my iphone would be using, and I would be subject to international data rates, would it be better to disable the data useage while I am abroad?

Or does the unlimited data plan include international useage?

TIA,
Bryan
Fenir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Photography
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenir View Post
If I'm leaving the US this summer, and decide to take my iphone with me, what should i do? Depending on the amount of data my iphone would be using, and I would be subject to international data rates, would it be better to disable the data useage while I am abroad?

TIA,
Bryan
I believe you will have to call AT&T so they can enable international roaming, and be prepared to get hit with heavy fees.

coolosxapps
Photography is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:47 PM   #6
eddietr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenir View Post

TIA,
Bryan
International roaming on other AT&T phones is 2 cents per KB, if you have a data plan domestically. I'm sure this will be about the same.

I'm thinking I'll set my mail.app to manual. And then I've got a map of different wifi spots I can use to check my mail. I'm sure I'll use Maps and stuff occasionally even without WiFi, plus voice calls, so I'll have a bit of a bill when I get back, I'm sure. Generally I also carry an old unlocked phone with a local SIM just to keep the roaming charges down when calling locally.

The interesting thing is that, in the past at least, I haven't been able to find a non-contract local SIM in Europe that I could use with a data rate lower than the $0.02 I pay on AT&T international roaming.
eddietr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 04:20 PM   #7
qwest
macrumors newbie

Exclamation answer

How do you know this?
qwest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 04:24 PM   #8
JBaker122586
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwest View Post
How do you know this?
Why, oh why, would you bump a thread that hasn't been posted in since before the iPhone was released?
JBaker122586 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:50 PM   #9
imutter
macrumors 6502

Traveling to GErmany I have done 2 things
I used AT&T internationl (which stinks)
and I used a sim in germany without contract
http://portal.o2online.de/nw/handys/...mkom0000000200
imutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:23 PM   #10
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by imutter View Post
Traveling to GErmany I have done 2 things
I used AT&T internationl (which stinks)
and I used a sim in germany without contract
http://portal.o2online.de/nw/handys/...mkom0000000200
Congratulations!!

You have just resurrected a four year old thread!
itsmemuffins is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone