Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:52 AM   #26
123walter
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan0000 View Post
you can jailbreak it and should work fine
I forget...when ya JB..doncha have to activate again? I just dont want ATT to think Im using both Iphones..and get billed twice for data. I have two sims..they gave me a new one for the 3gs. OR..my wife has a RAZR with an ATT sim, can she just use that one for activation..then remove it?
I just want to fix it so she can dl apps. Its working fine as an ipod..wifi safari etc.

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
123walter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:26 PM   #27
Mickyh
macrumors newbie

Cool

There's an app for that. Theirs also an app for that. But an app for something you want to do. No their ain't an app for that. Ok and now my unlocked none jail broken iPhone won't work with my other sim card. I got the phone on pay and go but the network it comes on is too gay for 3g signal well microsofts got a customer back. Bye mr jobs and your greedy pocket. iPhone sux and I bet the ipad sux too.
Mickyh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:21 PM   #28
123walter
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyh View Post
There's an app for that. Theirs also an app for that. But an app for something you want to do. No their ain't an app for that. Ok and now my unlocked none jail broken iPhone won't work with my other sim card. I got the phone on pay and go but the network it comes on is too gay for 3g signal well microsofts got a customer back. Bye mr jobs and your greedy pocket. iPhone sux and I bet the ipad sux too.
Y'know when I first came to Apple..I spent about two days worrying the techies to death. I was so sure I had messed up, BUT it was me. I was making it complicated. I was uptight about folders, directories, C:/....inf files. I couldnt believe that one app was all you needed. That loacation of files wasnt as critical as in DOS type dirs. BUT I have had this MBP for over two yrs. It has never had a virus or worm or whatever. I have never had to reinstall, format my harddrive..call Apple. IT WORKS. Everytime. Gates will never get a penny from me. My PC desktop now runs on Ubuntu. I am working on anotherlaptop that was given to me to put Hackentosh on it, or failing that..another Linux. Give it a chance. You wont regret it. I could have written your letter two summers ago. really.iphone...its really not an apple. Its a dif OS. But if you didint get it new, theres no telling what they did to it. But my son and I both have iphones and my wife has my old one and she uses it for an ipd.(Her job supplies B-berry free) Thats their problem haha. It'll work out!

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:32 PM   #29
lolapoop
macrumors newbie

I havent had a sim card in my iphone for ages now and its been working fine as a ipod and everything. Now it has come up with a "No sim card installed - Install a valid Sim with no Pin lock to activate iPhone"
is there any way around this? I have tried jailbreaking.
lolapoop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 07:45 AM   #30
123walter
macrumors member

Yes you can use old iPhone as a touchpad. You will need your sim card for activation, then remove it and just use it as an iPod.

Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:02 PM   #31
veo321
macrumors regular

restoring requires a SIM dont restore!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:03 AM   #32
hudsonbeaty
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123walter View Post
I have a similar situation.
I have an ATT/iphone acct. I had a 3g, my wife got me a 3gs for xmas. She has a Blackberry and doesnt care to add another iphone account. SO she wants to use it as an ipod.
I restored it....had to insert old sim card at one point(New ph has new sim card)It seems to work. BUT ONE THING...if she goes to APP store or Itunes..it brings up my account?? CAn I change this to her account? Do I need to JB it to add new apps? (Not a problem) Thanx
what firmware are you running?
hudsonbeaty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:27 PM   #33
emailYasmin
macrumors member

This is very interesting thread. I will buy 4g and will give 3gs to my son to play games. Let's see if it works. 3gs will not have SIM Card. That will be in 4g.
emailYasmin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:15 AM   #34
cristeto1981
macrumors newbie

Thanks for this thread. I'm learning a lot from you guys. This new iphone that i got is pretty confusing.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:29 PM   #35
alkjutre456
macrumors newbie

iPhone to Ipod

My friend upgraded his iPhone and wanted to give me his old iPhone to use as an iPod. He pulled the SIM card and set it up for me to use. My question is, Can I plug it in to my computer and download apps/music/etc. for myself or will this mess everything up?
alkjutre456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:28 AM   #36
acidraindrop
macrumors member

So I have a 3gs and an iphone 4 but only the microsim in the i4 has service. But i want to restore my 3gs to perform the new jailbreak on it. So if I restore and dont have an active sim there isnt any way for me to use the phone?
acidraindrop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:04 PM   #37
Cherielw
macrumors newbie

Here's what I did.

It can be used as an iPod, even with some old, canceled SIM.

I bought four used iPhones. Our daughter was using an ATT go-phone. I gave her my Samsung Solstice, we put her go-phone SIM in, turned it on (we always have them powered OFF before putting the SIM in) and it worked like charm. So I got her the first iPhone (used), put the go-phone SIM in, turned it on, it worked like a charm - never a problem.

My husband and I both have ATT phones on contract, as family members on my parents' plan (nice and cheap!!) I bought us used iPhones, put the SIMs in, turned on, work like a charm - never a problem.

Last one in the family, got him a go-phone last week (Aug 2, 2010). The SIM was orange/white, not blue/white, like our daughter's SIM from three years ago. Activated the SIM in his little go-phone (el cheapo), then tried putting it in his iPhone and NO GO! I've tried everything, but no go. I even bought another unregistered SIM card off craigslist, which is identical to our daughter's go-phone SIM, and STILL no go. I had to do a restore (SEE NEXT PARAGRAPH) on his phone to even get it to sync on his computer. While this still didn't register the SIM (jailbreak is my next job), it DID allow him to start using it as an iTouch, including wi-fi, iTunes, App store and updates and all the things a dedicated iTouch does. Any SIM will work for the restore, even one from a canceled acct.

BUT, here's the kicker I learned the hard way on one of the other phones I bought: apparently, if you do a restore without a SIM card in there, it will lock it up and has to be unlocked by ATT. I ended up having to call ATT, and because they couldn't walk me through an unlock via phone, they finally just sent me a new iPhone, which I promptly turned around and resold - never even used it once.

So two things: (1) it will serve as a dedicated iTouch and (2) it could lock up your entire unit to do a restore with nothing in the SIM slot.
Cherielw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:44 AM   #38
yupsays
macrumors newbie

Smile Yes you can!

So my story goes like so...
I got an iPhone 3G through Fido Canada which I had for just over a year and I'm a heavy user and over time parts of the iPhone began to break. First the audio jack, then the home and power button. So now it only turns on if I plug it in and can only switch between apps if I goto emergency call and back to unlock screen.....
So I recently bought another iPhone and just want to use my first one at work for the external speaker and to kill time playing games.
I ran into the same problems as stated above when I tried to restore it without the sim card... no go!. I inserted my sim card, re-connected it to itunes. As soon as it got past the 'insert sim' screen I took out the sim card while iTunes was doing its thing. iTunes finished restoring the iPhone and all the apps on my computer. I then disconnected the iPhone and reconnected it. It then had a pop-up saying it was going to activate.... as far as I can tell it never did activate (no sim card) BUT it does work, just saying 'no sim' in top right. In the summery tab it does display the phone number of the sim card I used to restore it but besides that it seem to be working 100% fine as an iTouch. Now all I wonder is if I could do this with a blank sim or another sim from another provider... not that I need to but I'm sure there is someone out there stuck with that problem.
Long story short.... YES the iPhone can be used as an iTouch so long as you have a sim card in it for the restore process
yupsays is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:19 PM   #39
lesliemangoh
macrumors newbie

how can i put my iphone 3g back to normal?

ok so my iphones unlocked , so i can use a tmobile sim. i updated the iphones software or something like that and it restarted my iphone. when it turned back on it said to connect it to itunes so i can activate it. itunes cant identify my sim , but i can still receive calls from people and answer. how can i fix my iphone to return it back to normal ?
lesliemangoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:26 PM   #40
jamesneedshelp
macrumors newbie

need i phone unlock help

i bought my iphone thinking that i could unlock and install my sim card but the i phone does not have a sim card slot. does anyone know how i can register this i phone to my data provider(t-mobile) without the sim card
jamesneedshelp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:57 PM   #41
Cnnz
macrumors newbie

Yes you can also download Vibe on your iphone to call people. Facetime will also work.
Cnnz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 09:05 PM   #42
monkeydodo3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesneedshelp View Post
i bought my iphone thinking that i could unlock and install my sim card but the i phone does not have a sim card slot. does anyone know how i can register this i phone to my data provider(t-mobile) without the sim card
You bought the CDMA version. I'm guessing off of eBay or Craigslist. I think it's best for you to sell/return it back on/from whererever you got it from, and buy a GSM iPhone meant for AT&T. Then you can buy an unlock from eBay.
monkeydodo3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting